Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: !@#$ Derek Jeter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 pm 

rellimie wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:
That does bring up a question though, who has the better plan?

Allow me!

Since 1993 the Marlins have been over .500 6 times, been to the playoffs twice and won 6 playoff series including 2 world championships. But like the Pirates have not won the division.

Since 1993**the Pirates have been over .500 3 times, been to the playoffs 4 times and won 1 playoff wild card game. But like the Marlins have not won the division.

Theres the results! Now yins have to decide.

**I used 1993 because thats the Marlins birth year.

****Also of note, the Pirates have also won 2 games in the NLDS taking it to game 5.

Well, yeah. I really meant wins culminating advancement. In the games won sense, I would assume that the Marlins going from wild card to world series winner twice would blow the Pirates 3 wins away.

Quote:
**I think you also need to note that the current owner/front office has only been there since 2008. While I'm aware Nutting has had an ownership share since the late 90's, he didn't take over as the principal owner until 2007.

Fair enough! Lets look at the stats since 2007

Since 2007 the Marlins have been over .500 6 times, been to the playoffs twice and won 6 playoff series including 2 world championships. But like the Pirates have not won the division.

Since 2007**the Pirates have been over .500 3 times, been to the playoffs 4 times and won 1 playoff wild card game. But like the Marlins have not won the division.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:

Since 2007 the Marlins have been over .500 6 times, been to the playoffs twice and won 6 playoff series including 2 world championships. But like the Pirates have not won the division.

Since 2007**the Pirates have been over .500 3 times, been to the playoffs 4 times and won 1 playoff wild card game. But like the Marlins have not won the division.

The Marlin's haven't won anything since 2003.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:
If you're thinking the Yankees got a steal, consider that Stanton cleared waivers in August. Any team could have had him for nothing. Nothing except the risk of taking on that massive contract, that is.

Revocable waivers. The reason Stanton wasnt claimed is both his contract was tall and he had a no trade clause in his contract. If the Yankees would have claimed him they would not have been able to work out a deal because Stanton would have said no. The only reason that Stanton is a yankee is because the Dodgers said no.

Doesn't basically everyone put everyone (except Juan Nicasio) though revocable waivers after the trade deadline?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 am 

OK I stand corrected.

It's still a tough contract to swallow. The opt-out clause limits the Yankee's ability to get a bargain, but the terms of the deal make it very likely they will be overpaying in the later years.

The Yankees are going to be a formidable opponent, but this is the way baseball has always worked. The teams with the most money have the best players.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:27 pm 

rellimie wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

The Marlin's haven't won anything since 2003.

opps!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 am 

The Rotten One wrote:

Miami has had two winning seasons since 2007, and that was 2008 and 2009. Eight straight losing seasons since then. No playoffs, no world series, nothing since 2003. Meanwhile... the Pirates stats are correct for the time when the current administration took over leadership. Your bias is showing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:56 pm 

Quote:
the Pirates stats are correct for the time when the current administration took over leadership. Your bias is showing.

Charlie,
First off I said Opps! WTF?

2ndly, I never had any bias. I didnt have an opinion at all. All I really did was post some Factual, then unfactual facts. That is all. I care almost as much about the dog turds my mutts leave in my neighbors yard than I do about the Miami Marlins. Derick Jeter can go pound sand up his ass for all I care.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:25 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Derick Jeter can go pound sand up his ass for all I care.

Close, actually...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 am 

Edinson Volquez has been released by Miami.

He's barely replacement level at this point in his career and was due $13M in 2018.

Worth a flier?