Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh no! We have been eliminated.......
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 am 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/shohei-ohtani-plans-to-meet-with-seven-teams.html

As Opie mutters...."Curses, foiled again." :o :o :o :o :o

Post subject: Re: Oh no! We have been eliminated.......
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:42 pm 

Money talks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:45 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Money talks.

Look at the teams that are listed and their location. My guess is it won't be the Cubs or the Rangers. He is a Japanese player who wants to play for a west coast team. If it was all about money the Yankees and Red Sox would be on the list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:11 pm 

In even more shocking news, it turns out that Jessica Alba ISN'T interested in hooking up with me.

Truly a blow to the old ego.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 am 

I'm not particularly surprised or even disappointed that we didn't make the cut. It was a long shot at best and, other than being a small market, Pittsburgh didn't really fit any of Ohtani's criteria.

BUT - let's see if the FO makes a move that is the equivalent of landing Ohtani. If they were willing to pony up some real money for Ohtani, they should be willing to make a move for an impact making player either via trade or free agency. Otherwise, the bid for Ohtani would reasonably be understood as a PR move, and nothing more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:50 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
I'm not particularly surprised or even disappointed that we didn't make the cut. It was a long shot at best and, other than being a small market, Pittsburgh didn't really fit any of Ohtani's criteria.

BUT - let's see if the FO makes a move that is the equivalent of landing Ohtani. If they were willing to pony up some real money for Ohtani, they should be willing to make a move for an impact making player either via trade or free agency. Otherwise, the bid for Ohtani would reasonably be understood as a PR move, and nothing more.

Free Agent Example?

Trades are different because the other team needs to agree which is out of the hands of the FO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:

Free Agent Example?

Trades are different because the other team needs to agree which is out of the hands of the FO.

As for free agent example....personally, I've seen enough of Polanco, so a Jay Bruce or a Logan Morrison would be the kind of impact making signing I had in mind. Maybe you then include Polanco and his potentially favorable contract along with a few prospects to get a Salvador Perez from the retooling Royals, per another post.

And I'm not sure I totally buy your comment on trades. I mean, sure, it takes two to make a trade - but some teams seem to be better able to see what they need, identify the guy they want, and make it happen. Us, not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:38 pm 

Losing out on this one had nothing to do with money. In fact, the Pirates were interested because of the money. Regardless of who he signs with the total layout will be $20 million plus the ML minimum for 3 seasons then 3 years of arbitration. That is for a potential superstar. Its the exact type of deal that Huntington loves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:42 pm 

I'm not ready to give up on Polanco just yet. Nothing I hate more than seeing marginal Pirates players who have high upside display that upside for another team.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
I'm not ready to give up on Polanco just yet. Nothing I hate more than seeing marginal Pirates players who have high upside display that upside for another team.

I get that. I hated when we gave up on Joey Bats and we see how that turned out. But I'm just having a hard time seeing Polanco becoming what they thought he would....hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:48 pm 

He's going to the Angels.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:21 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

I get that. I hated when we gave up on Joey Bats and we see how that turned out. But I'm just having a hard time seeing Polanco becoming what they thought he would....hope I'm wrong.

Come on now, Bautista was 29 before he finally broke out. I can’t imagine a lot of teams are waiting until guys are 30 to see if they live up to their potential. No one should blame the Pirates from moving on from him when they did.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm 

Quote:
Come on now, Bautista was 29 before he finally broke out. I can’t imagine a lot of teams are waiting until guys are 30 to see if they live up to their potential. No one should blame the Pirates from moving on from him when they did.

Pirates gave up on Bautista when he was 27. Polanco will turn 27 next September.

Bautista hit 54 home runs when he was 29. And yes I blame them for giving up on that guy after only two full seasons in the majors. Because after 4 full seasons he hit 54 HR's. Call it what it was. They got rid of Bautista so they could make room for "Hall of flame" out third baseman, Andy Laroche.

Another proud Pirates moment in time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Quote:

Pirates gave up on Bautista when he was 27. Polanco will turn 27 next September.

Bautista hit 54 home runs when he was 29. And yes I blame them for giving up on that guy after only two full seasons in the majors. Because after 4 full seasons he hit 54 HR's. Call it what it was. They got rid of Bautista so they could make room for "Hall of flame" out third baseman, Andy Laroche.

Another proud Pirates moment in time.

Bautista turned 28 at the end of the season he was traded......he turned 30 at the end of his breakout year. Polanco is essentially a year younger than him.

Everyone is an expert GM with hindsight. Based on the information at the time he was not good. He sucked for another year and a half before he "figured" it out.........Canadian steroids will get it done for you

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

If I remember reading correctly I think the Blue Jays saw a hole in his swing and it made all the difference. In other words, the Pirates could have kept Bautista until 35 and he would have been a struggling 3rd baseman.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:46 pm 

Some combination of that and them letting him just swing for the fences rather than trying to make him a "complete" hitter.