Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anyone here believe this?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:47 pm 

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/11/ ... superstar/

Post subject: Re: Does anyone here believe this?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 pm 

This from MLBTR....

In terms of potential bonus offer, the Bucs are one of the better-positioned teams, with a bit more than $2.2MM to offer, but Ohtani is widely expected to make far more through endorsements than his initial signing bonus anyhow, so the bonus itself may not be an enormous separator.

But in answer to your question, AZ - no, I don't believe it. They'll make a perfunctory offer to make it look like they tried and came up just short....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:52 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
But in answer to your question, AZ - no, I don't believe it. They'll make a perfunctory offer to make it look like they tried and came up just short....

Exactly.... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:25 pm 

That's really pretty easy to say when you know that there is virtually no possibility of it happening. He could also say, "We plan on making the Marlins a competitive offer for Giancarlo Stanton." No way to prove him wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:34 pm 

The team that cut Nicasio to save 600k is not going to shell out that kind of cash. No freaking way.

He is just pretending, for marketing purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:39 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
This from MLBTR....

In terms of potential bonus offer, the Bucs are one of the better-positioned teams, with a bit more than $2.2MM to offer, but Ohtani is widely expected to make far more through endorsements than his initial signing bonus anyhow, so the bonus itself may not be an enormous separator.

That said....IMHO this team is badly in need of re-establishing credibility with its fan base, and this would go a long way toward doing that.

I'm not convinced, however, that credibility is very high on their "to do" list....in fact, I'm not sure they are even aware that it's an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:46 pm 

I disagree with all of you, and I think NH was very frank in his answers in that interview. I think we will indeed make a play for Shohei Ohtani, and here's a quote from CBS sports as to why I believe it to be true:

Quote:
He's also coming over earlier than he hit free agency or age requirements, so he's under the international signing bonus pool rules and can't really make more than in the neighborhood of $3 million. He's leaving hundreds of millions on the table for not waiting until the international spending rules don't apply any longer.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/shohei-ohtani-could-join-mlb-in-december-thanks-to-reported-new-posting-agreement/

With a cap on how much a team can currently spend in the International market, our Pirates are currently sitting on the 4th highest amount to spend.
http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15768

So, yeah. I believe 100% under those circumstances that Neal Huntington is making every effort to sign Shohei. The negativity on this board towards our Pirates administration is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:29 pm 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
I disagree with all of you, and I think NH was very frank in his answers in that interview. I think we will indeed make a play for Shohei Ohtani, and here's a quote from CBS sports as to why I believe it to be true:

Quote:
He's also coming over earlier than he hit free agency or age requirements, so he's under the international signing bonus pool rules and can't really make more than in the neighborhood of $3 million. He's leaving hundreds of millions on the table for not waiting until the international spending rules don't apply any longer.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/shohei-ohtani-could-join-mlb-in-december-thanks-to-reported-new-posting-agreement/

With a cap on how much a team can currently spend in the International market, our Pirates are currently sitting on the 4th highest amount to spend.

So, yeah. I believe 100% under those circumstances that Neal Huntington is making every effort to sign Shohei. The negativity on this board towards our Pirates administration is amazing.

Well-said, and beat me to it.

Also, the Pirates have some room to go beyond their budget while not getting hit too hard next year, so they legitimately have more money on the Int'l budget than the vast majority of teams - while still at a pretty good bargain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm 

Just to be clear - I've loved the Bucs for over 50 years. I'm not like some on this board who seem to revel in the struggles of this team.

But yeah - I've lost a lot of confidence in this management team. I hope they prove me wrong. They don't even necessarily have to sign Ohtani to restore some trust - but they have to do more than sign another collection of Daniel Hudsons and Phil Gosselins.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm 

Scrap Iron echoes my sentiment exactly. This front office has made some real head scratching moves the last 2-3 years. JMHO... :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm 

It blows my mind that people on this board truly believe that the Pirates' front office isn't trying to win. You guys really think that the Pirates aren't going to try and sign this guy?!?! They will try to sign him. They won't. Ohtani signing somewhere else has very little to do with the Pirates' front office.

I know we're all frustrated, but the unrealistic perception of Huntington, Nutting, etc. is kind of childish. Just because they make puzzling moves means that they aren't trying to win? Seriously?

Here's a challenge: Name a front office that hasn't made a move in the last few years that, in hindsight, wasn't the right move for their organization.

Last edited by TheTimeIsNow on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I am 99.9999999% sure the Pirates have zero confidence they'll sign this guy. I've lost complete faith and trust in Pirates management as well. I'm still a fan (obviously) but have zero trust.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:17 pm 

30 GMs will attempt to sign this dude. 29 will fail. 29 fanbases will call their ownership cheap because of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:56 pm 

They want to win, but they're not really trying to win. Not the last couple of years anyway.

It's not just a lack of spending, but also a lack of courage. They are too complacent, too willing to sit back and play the hand they were dealt, and too timid when it comes to getting players who can help the team.

I was a Huntington supporter at first, but then he had 6 losing seasons and I turned against him. Then 2013 happened, and I was back on his side through the winning years.

But now after two more losing seasons, I have had enough. Too many bad moves, and not enough good ones. The proof is in the pudding.

I have lost confidence, but I haven't lost hope.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:26 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
They want to win, but they're not really trying to win. Not the last couple of years anyway.

It's not just a lack of spending, but also a lack of courage. They are too complacent, too willing to sit back and play the hand they were dealt, and too timid when it comes to getting players who can help the team.

I was a Huntington supporter at first, but then he had 6 losing seasons and I turned against him. Then 2013 happened, and I was back on his side through the winning years.

But now after two more losing seasons, I have had enough. Too many bad moves, and not enough good ones. The proof is in the pudding.

I have lost confidence, but I haven't lost hope.

Yes, this is what bugs me too. Maybe they figure they have to be ultra-conservative because of being a small market, but I believe there still has to be moves they could make but don't because they lack the guts. They won't go out and get a guy who has a 60% chance of helping your club because of the 40% chance that he won't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I don't agree with the Pirates philosophy. I think they'd prefer paying five free agents $5 million each rather than paying one $15 million and using the remaining $10 million on the next four.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Both of these.

I'll add one other note. I've read that Ohtani's agents are saying he wants to go to a team that has no ties to past Japanese players. Wants to be his own man.

I hope our dalliance with the 2nd a few years ago (name?) wouldn't disqualify.

That said, if he really can hit 50 HRs, pitch 102 mph, and get down to 1B in 3.2 seconds, sounds like an AL'r to me for pitch and DH.

ZM

Bucfan wrote:
Charleston_Charlies wrote:

Quote:

Well-said, and beat me to it.

Also, the Pirates have some room to go beyond their budget while not getting hit too hard next year, so they legitimately have more money on the Int'l budget than the vast majority of teams - while still at a pretty good bargain.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 am 

Out of the running already. Although I think we were eliminated on Ohtani's end.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am 

The Pirates were never going to pay a 20 million dollar posting fee. They released Nicasio to save 600k.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 am 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
I know we're all frustrated, but the unrealistic perception of Huntington, Nutting, etc. is kind of childish. Just because they make puzzling moves means that they aren't trying to win? Seriously?

Childish? Really? This is a front office that didn't want to pay S. Rodriguez as a free agent then went and traded for him and found that yes, after all, he was worth 5 mil a year. Yep, he will put you over the top....good grief....the FO's plan for winning? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: