Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 5941
Location: Findlay, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 609
Location: Cobb County, Georgia
I don't know what to think of this.

_________________
foolishly holding on to hope since 1992...and the payoff is here... and gone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 219
hebner20 wrote:
I don't know what to think of this.




I know what I think, and it isn't happy thoughts.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 2083
Love it


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 5816
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
I like it. Hurdle is a fantastic manager. This doesn't mean I don't shake my head every now and again but that will happen with anyone.

_________________
Iowa State football makes me drink.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 5941
Location: Findlay, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio
I do like the fact that this happened right now. Now we don't have to wonder all offseason if he's gonna stay or go.

Next up, Cutch. Just officially announce that we're picking up his option. I'm annoyed with Pittsburgh writers speculating and trying to stir the pot.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 4195
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Sign Hurdle...check! Sign Cutch...check!

The Pirates NEED both to be successful.

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 887
Awesome!

_________________
RTJR endorsed as the worlds worst poster ever!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 7035
S. Rodriguez with a sigh of relief...."I still have a job"..... :o :o :o :o :o


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 5190
Location: Zelienople, PA
Good move.

ZM

_________________
The perpetually missing headline: "Capitalism worked okay again today, and most people in the world got a little better off."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:54 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:43 pm
Posts: 8
Hi All. First time poster. Surprised at the positivity on the Hurdle extension. I think he was instrumental in changing the culture of the team early on and he did lead them to 3 solid seasons in a row. They did not capitalize on that though when they had the chance. I especially think they lost a huge opportunity when they lost to the Cards in the divisional round.

The team's performance has been sub par to say the least over the past 2 seasons. I also think Hurdle is a good leader, but I have come to the conclusion that his message is not getting across to the guys that are key to the Pirates future. Marte, Polanco, Kang, Liriano, Cutch, Harrison and Cole were supposed to be the core the past 2 years and all have failed to produce for large chunks of time for different reasons.

Anyway, just wanted to understand how folks can be so supportive of extending a guy for 4 years that is managing a 4th place team and who's stars are underperforming to such great degree.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 5941
Location: Findlay, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio
Recently, I have been very hard on Hurdle. I have called for him to be fired, in the heat of a bad moments.

I do believe that the players enjoy playing for him, which could be a good or bad thing.

What I am thinking though is "Who out there is a better option?" There may be somebody, but i can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Congrats to Clint. He does really seem to love the city of Pittsburgh.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 pm
Posts: 609
Location: Cobb County, Georgia
hebner20 wrote:
I don't know what to think of this.

After thinking about this a bit I now have some thoughts.


This team is underperforming and that we can all agree on. What can a manager do to correct that? Inspire, motivate and teach but can he hit the ball, catch the ball, throw to the right base or not get picked off or run into an out - all of which is a spur of the moment decision? Of course he can't, it is on the players. The GM and owner are involved way more than any well engaged fan. They also should and probably know the game better than the average message board member. The GM's job is on the line and the owner's money is on the line, so with that much at stake, I assume they are doing what their well informed opinion tells them to do. With that being written, I have to be fine with the decision made to give him 4 years.

Remember, the underperformance makes managerial mistakes much more amplified this year. A manager probably doesn't have that much effect on a team's win total. I assume the process is working and the team is much better,even this year, than it was in the dark era.

My $.02

_________________
foolishly holding on to hope since 1992...and the payoff is here... and gone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 5279
Location: Economy, PA
Huntington was also extended.

This is not what I wanted to see, but it is what I was expecting.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 4195
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Ralphie wrote:
Huntington was also extended.

This is not what I wanted to see, but it is what I was expecting.


Same Ralphie. Actually, I have more issues with NH than Hurdle. Nutting still has to go though. If the point of keeping Nutting is to keep the Pirates in Pittsburgh...well...like I said in another post...I'd rather see the Pirates leave Pittsburgh! :(

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching.-Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 2083
hebner20 wrote:
hebner20 wrote:
I don't know what to think of this.

After thinking about this a bit I now have some thoughts.


This team is underperforming and that we can all agree on. What can a manager do to correct that? Inspire, motivate and teach but can he hit the ball, catch the ball, throw to the right base or not get picked off or run into an out - all of which is a spur of the moment decision? Of course he can't, it is on the players. The GM and owner are involved way more than any well engaged fan. They also should and probably know the game better than the average message board member. The GM's job is on the line and the owner's money is on the line, so with that much at stake, I assume they are doing what their well informed opinion tells them to do. With that being written, I have to be fine with the decision made to give him 4 years.

Remember, the underperformance makes managerial mistakes much more amplified this year. A manager probably doesn't have that much effect on a team's win total. I assume the process is working and the team is much better,even this year, than it was in the dark era.

My $.02


I have always felt in all professional sports it is the managers job to put the players in a position to win. Setting the right lineup, calling the right play, etc... It's the players job to perform, that is what they get paid to do. Managers take the blame for players underperforming many many times. I don't get it.

Let me say this again...they guys are getting PAID to do ONE thing and that is to perform to the best of their ability. When they underperform there should only be ONE guy to blame and that is the PROFESSIONAL player.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 5941
Location: Findlay, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio
It really blows my mind that so many people hate Neal Huntington.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 2186
He's not a great Xs and Os guy like Sparky Anderson or Jim Leyland. My problem with Clint is absolute blindness to giving young players a chance, even in a lost September like this. Before Harvey blew into town and put baseball way down my list of importnace, I made a vow to my wife. Any time I turn on the game and see John Jaso and Chris Stewart in the lineup together, I just stop watching and delete it from my DVR.

Watching Stewart and his 3 RBI and batting average lower than my weight in my 20s taking playing time from a young guy like Diaz is a slap in the face to any loyal Pirate fan.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 2186
TheTimeIsNow wrote:
It really blows my mind that so many people hate Neal Huntington.


I don't know if its hate so much as rage and disappointment that the last two seasons, NH plain and simply choked and was afraid to do anything. They took a team that won 98 games and got cheap (dumping Morton, trading Walker's salary to the Mets and telling us that 95 year old Ryan Vogelsong was just fine along with Niese and Locke) and then he pays the Blue Jays in two prospects just to get some salary relief and nothing else in return. Hey Nutting, if we are dumping players for salary relief, then the Yinzers are right and you are a penny ante player.

And then this year. Instead of trading all that back logged AAA pitching depth for a real starter, we get a 40 year old washed up piece of shit reliever and two lottery tickets. He froze! Pure and simple

I am beginning to think Neil values his precious prosepcts even more than Littlefield.

I am ginving them this off season to see if they can pull of a big trade, which I think is his plan anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Clint Hurdle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 5279
Location: Economy, PA
Corsair wrote:
He's not a great Xs and Os guy like Sparky Anderson or Jim Leyland. My problem with Clint is absolute blindness to giving young players a chance, even in a lost September like this. Before Harvey blew into town and put baseball way down my list of importnace, I made a vow to my wife. Any time I turn on the game and see John Jaso and Chris Stewart in the lineup together, I just stop watching and delete it from my DVR.

Watching Stewart and his 3 RBI and batting average lower than my weight in my 20s taking playing time from a young guy like Diaz is a slap in the face to any loyal Pirate fan.


See, that's the problem with you out-of-towners who don't really follow the team.

Stewart now has four RBI's.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits