Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dejan again
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:48 am 

Just a good job getting us prepared for the beginning of the season. He really is a talented writer with the ability to explain and intrigue fans with his informative, plain speaking style.

Pirate management must also be very happy today. He really did a great job for them. Their message is out there and well explained. Today's PG article left me ready to support them this year and believe in the next several years as these young guys mature nad become players.

It also assures that they are being lead by emotional guys as well as solid, feet on the ground guys. Most important is the opening of the office and seeing and hearing the strategy being employed. I especially appreciate the logic and relying on depth of information to take the best possible chances in player selection and trading.

Post subject: Re: Dejan again
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09095/960671-63.stm

This article is absolutely a must read. He hit this out of the park!

Iowa State Cyclones (2-9) at #3 Texas Christian Horned Frogs (10-1)
Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:00 AM
Amon G. Carter Stadium, Forth Worth, TX
ABC

Last edited by IA Pirate on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:18 pm 

I have been a big Neal Huntington fan since his days as John Hart's assistant GM in Cleveland. As a huge Indians fan going back to the early-mid 70's, I can tell you that NH is following the blueprint to success that Cleveland used in the early 90's.

He has signed "core players" to deals that take them through their arbitration years, traded out veterans playing at their peak for high level prospects to help fortify the system and hasn't shown ANY fear to take "big-time" talent in the first round of the draft. The one thing that NH is doing that John Hart didn't do (and what ultimately cost him two World Series titles IMHO) is realize that pitching wins championships. I knew that NH was holding out for the Dodgers to give him Bryan Morris and with good reason. This kid is going to be big-time IF he can stay healthy.

I told my radio partner this and I will tell everyone here the very same thing (and all of you will probably think I'm nuts)...the Bucs will be below .500 this year..but in 2010, this team will be in contention for a division title/wild card and 2011, this team will be in contention for a NL pennant.

I have seen this done in the 90's with the Tribe. It's going to happen with the Bucs..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:18 pm 

Curve, it's hard for to be as optimistic as you because I really don't see where the pitching is going to come from, even next year. But I agree we are going in the right direction.

Regarding Dejan, he really is fantastic. He has great intellect and a great work ethic, but beyond that he has courage and creativity that you just don't normally see in people of his profession.

We really are fortunate to have him where he is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:06 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Curve, it's hard for to be as optimistic as you because I really don't see where the pitching is going to come from, even next year. But I agree we are going in the right direction.

As you'll recall, the fatal flaw in those 90s Indians teams was the distinct absence of top-quality pitching, which probably cost them at least two championships.

If NH is following that model to a T, he'd do well to learn from that particular mistake.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:01 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Just a good job getting us prepared for the beginning of the season. He really is a talented writer with the ability to explain and intrigue fans with his informative, plain speaking style.

Pirate management must also be very happy today. He really did a great job for them. Their message is out there and well explained. Today's PG article left me ready to support them this year and believe in the next several years as these young guys mature nad become players.

It also assures that they are being lead by emotional guys as well as solid, feet on the ground guys. Most important is the opening of the office and seeing and hearing the strategy being employed. I especially appreciate the logic and relying on depth of information to take the best possible chances in player selection and trading.

I'm confident that Huntingdon's model is a sound one. Now it just comes down to talent evaluation. If they do a solid job at that, the end of the losing is nigh.