Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why I have abandoned the Pirates
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:50 pm 

This is my first post in almost three months. I have watched the team from afar and after this post I will turn my attention to football season.

I understand the Pirates had three playoff appearances. However, the past two years have shown me a couple things:

1. Front office. Neil Huntingdon has failed. I have been on the NH bandwagon for years. But I cannot support him anymore. The high rankings of the farm system have not paid off. Except for Josh Bell and I will say Jameson Taillon (still have hope for him), the front office has massively failed. The Pirates have to rely on the farm system because of the economics of being a small-revenue team. Not small market. Small revenue. Until baseball changes their structure, the Bucs will always be at a disadvantage. So the importance of getting it right with drafting and Latin signing is essential. Polanco and Marte are total failures, not necessarily because of their struggles this season and I imagine in the future. They have been raised in a system that has failed them from a fundamental aspect. These are major league players and I have coached little league players who have better fundamentals. Throw in that laziness and lack of hustle that is accepted in this organization (See Clint Hurdle), I am now in the camp that the philosophy is not working. Houston rebuilt faster and better. Why? The front office is better than Pittsburgh. Period. There are other examples as well.

2. Go for it. When the Pirates had their recent window, I was against selling the farm to go get people who might help them win. Why? Because I didn't want them to mortgage what I thought was the future. But I am starting to realize, you have to be good at evaluating talent. Apparently the Pirates are not. Trying to sustain being good is not easy. But if you have an opportunity, you need to consider going for it. Even if it means sacrificing a couple good seasons for one great one. And then start over. The Brewers competed this season. Other teams have done the same. I was wrong on this and I completely have changed my mind.

3. Culture. Winning was fun. It was a nice ride. But the overall culture on the major league level is a negative. Clint Hurdle had a nice run. (I think he has in-game issues). But sometimes you have to change the culture. The Pirates have been praised for being patient which can be a positive. But it also can be a negative. This is not a knee-jerk reaction. Need to clean house and try a different philosophy.

4. Players. Keep Cutch (I thought he was done. I was wrong). Keep Bell. Keep Taillon. Keep Rivero. Keep the young pitchers i.e. Williams, Kuhl, Brault. Trade everyone else. Start over on the major league level. I will take two bad seasons with young players in exchange for finding players that are the real deal. I think a new GM and some new thinking can get the Pirates back fast. But Marte, Polanco, Cole, Mercer, Freese, Cervelli, Nova all need to go.

5. Ownership. This I have not changed my mind. Is Nutting a good owner? No. Is he a bad owner? No. I think this is more about baseball economics than ownership. I just don't see anyone coming in here and opening up their checkbook. The perception that Nutting is cheap is a myth. He has use the money he does have wisely (and in some case unwisely). I just don't think the Pirates as a franchise have the resources.

5. Love. Finally, I will always be a Pirates fan. But as many on this board have just walked away, I am almost to that point. I have better things to do with my time. The only reason I have kept up with them at all because my 13 year old still follows every game on his tablet. I am going to keep an eye on the offseason and see if I see some drastic changes. I will probably watch in April to see if things get better. But I can tell you, I won't last long if I see the same old crap.

Everything is pretty good in my life right now. My family is healthy. I have a good career. The Penguins and Steelers are contenders every year. I really don't need the stress and frustration of the Pirates anymore. It's just not worth it.

Hope things change. I will still be lurking as many of you I call friends. But you won't see me until we start seeing some things happen in the offseason, if they even do.

BB

Post subject: Re: Why I have abandoned the Pirates
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 pm 

Anyone know a way this could be forwarded to the Pirates Front Office? Just wondered...well said.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 am 

Thanks for that Bucco Boy, very well written.

My fear is that nothing much is going to change. That they are going to try again next year with the same group and have another miserable year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:51 am 

#InNealWeTrust

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 am 

I know one thing. If things don't change for the better, including having a new owner with deeper pockets, they are going to lose their loyal fan base. They are going to lose most of Pirate Nation which includes me!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:01 pm 

The fanbase will rise and fall with the fortunes of the team. 20 years of losing knocked it way back, but 3 years of winning brought a lot of people back. Now 2 years of losing and people are jumping off the bandwagon in droves.

I see no reason to think that Nutting will sell the team, so why sit around hoping for that? Nor do I believe that they can't win with Nutting as the owner. I mean, who owned the team during the 3 years of winning?

Nutting should be doing more, but in my opinion the GM is most responsible for the fortunes of the team. And obviously Neal has been doing a lousy job the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:32 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
The fanbase will rise and fall with the fortunes of the team. 20 years of losing knocked it way back, but 3 years of winning brought a lot of people back. Now 2 years of losing and people are jumping off the bandwagon in droves.

I see no reason to think that Nutting will sell the team, so why sit around hoping for that? Nor do I believe that they can't win with Nutting as the owner. I mean, who owned the team during the 3 years of winning?

Nutting should be doing more, but in my opinion the GM is most responsible for the fortunes of the team. And obviously Neal has been doing a lousy job the last couple of years.

Attendance for this weekend series will be an interesting thing to track. Now competing against football Friday night and Saturday night. Team and management apathy apparent...could be a recipe for under 15,000 at least once.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:34 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I know one thing. If things don't change for the better, including having a new owner with deeper pockets, they are going to lose their loyal fan base. They are going to lose most of Pirate Nation which includes me!

BD, be careful with that phrase "deep pockets." I was corrected quite harshly here a few months ago for suggesting that owners may interject their own resources into their team. What we need is a new cable deal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:57 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Anyone know a way this could be forwarded to the Pirates Front Office? Just wondered...well said.

Actually yes...my uncle has the contact information for Coonelly if this is a real request. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:00 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Now 2 years of losing and people are jumping off the bandwagon in droves.

Casual fans are jumping off of the bandwagon, but us 'die-hards' are remembering that this bandwagon has shoddy brakes and no air bags.

Frustrations are even more palpable because teams with plans, such as Chicago and Houston (and to an extend Cleveland and Kansas City) are seeing fruits to their labor whereas the Pirates peaked early and are now looking like it's time for ANOTHER re-build.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:21 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

BD, be careful with that phrase "deep pockets." I was corrected quite harshly here a few months ago for suggesting that owners may interject their own resources into their team. What we need is a new cable deal.

I don't care doug.

I'll say it whether the Pirates find another Owner or not...NUTTING IS CHEAP!!!!

The Pirate franchise is getting buried by Owners who have deeper pockets than Nutting in this crazy economic climate of MLB.

I think, at this point, I'd rather see the Pirates leave Pittsburgh so they can have an Owner who has deeper pockets and COMPETE year in and year out in this crazy economic world of MLB rather than suffer through what we're suffering through this season and in recent past seasons. Lose for 20 years, then rebuild, and then make the playoffs only to lose. Then begin the entire process all over again????

I feel I'm on a crazy merry-go-round that doesn't stop!!!

I'd rather see the Pirates LEAVE Pittsburgh so Pittsburgh has the Steelers and Penguins. At least those teams have had success in their past because of the way the teams have been built and more importantly because of the sports they represent and are a part of.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:10 am 

My feelings EXACTLY Bucco Boy. I have posted several times over the past several months - longer, probably - that I just cannot give a shit about the Pirates like I did in 1971, or 1978, or 1988, or 1990, or 2013.

I just can't. They win? Okay, great. They lose? Yeah, too bad.

No Pittsburgh Pirate sits in his living room gnashing his teeth over how my day went. Why the @#$% would I waste my emotions, my LIFE, worrying about a bunch of millionaires???

So, I watch now and again. The minute I stop enjoying watching the team, I change the channel. I generally last about an inning nowadays, before I see some batter waving at shit a foot outside, or a starter walking a guy hitting .193.

Yep, time to change the channel. I would rather watch the @#$%ing Kardashians than watch that sch ... tuff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:01 am 

Bucfan wrote:
My feelings EXACTLY Bucco Boy. I have posted several times over the past several months - longer, probably - that I just cannot give a shit about the Pirates like I did in 1971, or 1978, or 1988, or 1990, or 2013.

I just can't. They win? Okay, great. They lose? Yeah, too bad.

No Pittsburgh Pirate sits in his living room gnashing his teeth over how my day went. Why the @#$% would I waste my emotions, my LIFE, worrying about a bunch of millionaires???

So, I watch now and again. The minute I stop enjoying watching the team, I change the channel. I generally last about an inning nowadays, before I see some batter waving at shit a foot outside, or a starter walking a guy hitting .193.

Yep, time to change the channel. I would rather watch the @#$%ing Kardashians than watch that sch ... tuff.

My feelings exactly Bucfan!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:41 am 

I dont care how bad it gets. I love the game of baseball. There is so much to it that most dont even begin to question. Combine that with my love of anything in a black and gold hat or shirt (Iowa Hawkeye exception) and I aint going anywhere.

Note to #9 --- No offense to the Hawks...Just isnt my cup of tea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:36 am 

Ralphie wrote:

Nutting owned the team during the 3 years of winning.