Proud fans of a 132-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Potential McCutchen Suitors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:06 pm 

Let's say McCutchen finishes the season reasonably strong, and the Pirates decide to move him in the offseason. I'm saying it would be the right move, but I wonder, who are the potential suitors for his services? Who would take on the risk? I would think some team in "win" mode, or a team that soon will be and works out an extension. Secondly, what kind of haul could the Pirates expect for one year of control? One good player? Two B+ prospects?

Discuss.

Post subject: Re: Potential McCutchen Suitors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:53 pm 

I'm guessing Boston, Cleveland, LAD, Washington, NYY will be in play for sure.

Arizona, Colorado may also have a need.

Texas and Detroit could go either way depending on their plans.

There will be plenty of suitors....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 pm 

Yeah, it's got to be a team with the right balance of need and the financial flexibility. Then you can pare it down from there by those teams that don't make good trade partners.

I don't see that the Dodgers have the need, but that never stopped them before. The Nationals have the need, but don't have the pieces we would want in return. I wondered about Colorado. With another pitcher, they could make a pretty good run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:38 am 

Why the hell would you want to trade cutch? Get some players around him. Not crap relief pitchers like Benoit, or Phil gosselin. I don't to hear anything about trading cutch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:21 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Why the hell would you want to trade cutch? Get some players around him. Not crap relief pitchers like Benoit, or Phil gosselin. I don't to hear anything about trading cutch.

Read my post. I didn't say I wanted to trade Cutch. It was mere speculation at who would be a potential trade partner should they decide to go that route. I think they should keep him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:09 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:

I'm ready to move forward. Time to build around Josh Bell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:59 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Speaking of Bell, he got a major snub from MLB Trade Rumors writer Connor Byrne, who didn't even list Bell in the list of top 10 rookies in MLB this year. Can you believe that? Here it is...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/ ... -2017.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:31 am 

doug frobel wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Speaking of Bell, he got a major snub from MLB Trade Rumors writer Connor Byrne, who didn't even list Bell in the list of top 10 rookies in MLB this year. Can you believe that? Here it is...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/ ... -2017.html

Wow, what a joke. That has to be just an oversight.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 pm 

I looked at that list, thinking surely there must be a guy who obviously deserves to be on there less than Bell, but there wasn't one.

The closest was a guy with like 150 at bats who already has a higher WAR total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:31 am 

Cutch for Starting Pitcher + Prospects

Cole for a 3rd Base Bat + Prospects

Osuna to RF, Marte to CF, Polanco to LF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:11 pm 

That would be a very shaky defensive outfield. Polanco is terrible. He's going to hurt himself oneday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:22 pm 

rellimie wrote:

We have a basic framework here. The Astros would love to have Cole, and I would take Alex Bregman as part of the return. They have lots of depth on their infield.

The outfield concerns me, too. Marte and Polanco should not be handed starting jobs next spring, unless Marte extends his torrid pace throughout the rest of the year. Austin Meadows is not a slam dunk at this point, and Jordan Luplow may be a career AAAA player. They need to pick up a legit outfielder to push those guys. And Osuna doesn't grade well in the outfield according to defensive peripherals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:41 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Thats part of the problem. They just need to continue building this team. And that is coming around nicely.

Look. If Kang was here and had his usual 25+ Hr's, we would be talking about the playoff race. But Marte was stupid and got caught. Kang doesnt know what a designated driver is, Taillon has been battling cancer. Its not like they got a big pile of crap here. Stay with it one more year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:53 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Thats part of the problem. They just need to continue building this team. And that is coming around nicely.

Look. If Kang was here and had his usual 25+ Hr's, we would be talking about the playoff race. But Marte was stupid and got caught. Kang doesnt know what a designated driver is, Taillon has been battling cancer. Its not like they got a big pile of crap here. Stay with it one more year.

I don't disagree with you. That is why I am only talking Cutch and Cole. Cutch is going into his last year and if he can finish strong he can get you a nice return to help in 2018 and beyond.

As far as Cole goes, I think he is worth more as a trade piece at this point.

I'm not talking about rebuilding...I'm talking retooling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:54 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
rellimie wrote:

We have a basic framework here. The Astros would love to have Cole, and I would take Alex Bregman as part of the return. They have lots of depth on their infield.

The outfield concerns me, too. Marte and Polanco should not be handed starting jobs next spring, unless Marte extends his torrid pace throughout the rest of the year. Austin Meadows is not a slam dunk at this point, and Jordan Luplow may be a career AAAA player. They need to pick up a legit outfielder to push those guys. And Osuna doesn't grade well in the outfield according to defensive peripherals.

I'm aware the defense takes a hit however, other teams seem to be winning without excellent defense....

As for Luplow...a little hasty on the assessment

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 pm 

The Luplow statement really wasn't an assessment per se, just kind of a worst case scenario. I'm hopeful he turns out to be a Ryan Ludwick kind of player.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 am 

doug frobel wrote:

Frankly Doug, the Astros wouldn't give us Alex Bregman - or Ingrid Bergman - for Cole.

Nor should they....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

Frankly Doug, the Astros wouldn't give us Alex Bregman - or Ingrid Bergman - for Cole.

Nor should they....

Perhaps not. So I would counter with J. D. Davis. Or Colin Moran once his face grows back. Like I said, they are stacked in the middle infield. It's a good match.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:59 pm 

I'll bring this thread back around since it has been a topic this off season. I really am scrambling to find a team that would be interested in acquiring him who would also have what we would need, especially if we get some kind of decent return for Cole. There may not be much of a market for him, unless the Bucs just want to dump the salary.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Giants want him.

And they traded their Span. So have open slot.

ZM