Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Keith Law on McLouth and Ohlendorf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:32 pm 

I say trading mclouth would be a decent idea. You would get very good players in return for him. But you would have to lose your possible best hitter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 am 

Ryann wrote:
I say trading mclouth would be a decent idea. You would get very good players in return for him. But you would have to lose your possible best hitter.

You might trade him once Tabata and McCutchen are in the Majors and Moss proves he's an everyday OFer...until then no...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 am 

He won a gold glove and was rated the worst defensive player in all of baseball. Somebody is very wrong there. I'm going with whoever did the ranking.

From watching him, I would say he runs good routes, catches what he can get to, and has at miminum an adequate throwing arm. Perhaps his range is below average, but he is a very good base stealer, so how bad could it be?

None of this comes close to worst defensive player in the game. You need look no further than our own team. Ryan Doumit and Andy LaRoche are much worse defensively than Nate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:29 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
From watching him, I would say he runs good routes, catches what he can get to, and has at miminum an adequate throwing arm. Perhaps his range is below average, but he is a very good base stealer, so how bad could it be?

Having poor range and being a good base stealer are not mutually exclusive. Being a good base stealer has much more to do with picking one's spots than it does with foot-speed; otherwise Morgan would be an excellent base-stealer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:25 pm 

According to "The Fielding Bible II" which is my favorite defensive source, Mclouth was rated as one of the worst defensive outfielders in baseball. They use a +/- system I really like so if it was truly a positioning issue Mclouth would have fielded a lot of balls in front of him that other CF's don't and there shouldn't be as big an issue. I think he's not that bad, but most metrics seem to agree that he's not great. He would be much better in a corner. Hopefully that's not too far off.