Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meltdown on the PPG Blog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:50 pm 

The addition of Jesse Chavez to the 25 man roster has most of the regular posters on DK's PPG Blog in full meltdown mode. Pretty humorous reading when one considers that they are discussing the last bullpen slot.

Is the sky falling in Pittsburgh? Is it raining frogs? Are dogs and cats sleeping together?

Post subject: Re: Meltdown on the PPG Blog
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:56 pm 

Of course Smizik has to throw his 2 cents in too...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... rates.aspx

Quote:
I’d love to be upbeat about this team, but I can’t and I simply don’t understand the optimism that is coming from some rapid fans. What are they seeing that I’m missing?

I’ve been hooked before. I was impressed enough after the 2007 season with the new management team of Frank Coonelly and Neal Huntington that I predicted a winning record in 2008. I came to my senses before the season was barely underway and realized I’d had a brain cramp when I wrote that sentence.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:07 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Of course Smizik has to throw his 2 cents in too...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... rates.aspx

Quote:
I’d love to be upbeat about this team, but I can’t and I simply don’t understand the optimism that is coming from some rapid fans. What are they seeing that I’m missing?

I’ve been hooked before. I was impressed enough after the 2007 season with the new management team of Frank Coonelly and Neal Huntington that I predicted a winning record in 2008. I came to my senses before the season was barely underway and realized I’d had a brain cramp when I wrote that sentence.

Well Bob, there is realistic rapid [sic] and unrealistic rapid [sic]. Big difference between the two. I'll let you figure out on your own which category you fell into last year. As for this year, well, welcome to the club.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:26 pm 

The sky isn't falling, but the pitching does look bad. And it is raining, but I haven't seen any frogs.

The starting rotation is shaky and mostly unproven. Four of the seven relievers have a reputation for not being able to find the strike zone. And the depth in the minors is very thin.

On the other hand, I'm encouraged by the look of the position players. They seem to be a fairly capable bunch. But of course we need a few of them to step up with the bats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 pm 

I would not want to be a SP on this team and hand over a game in the 5th or 6th inning. That's not to say that Hansen and Veal's upside isn't worth a few blown games this year, but things could be painful, especially once Grabow is traded.

As for Chavez, if he really sucks and Meek is as good as we hope, they will be switched in a week or two. Meek hasn't thrown for 2 weeks, give him some innings in Indy before bringing him to Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 pm 

Chavez deserves his chance. Meek got his chance last April. Its Chavez's time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm 

The lower expectations are, the better they do. Remember 97?

Teams that have fire-sales are often improved the next year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:24 pm 

I don't understand the uproar... Chavez is a placeholder until Meek gets back to pitching since he lost 2 weeks of ST. Once he gets rolling, Meek comes up and Chavez goes down. I simply don't understand why people are freaking out...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
I don't understand the uproar... Chavez is a placeholder until Meek gets back to pitching since he lost 2 weeks of ST. Once he gets rolling, Meek comes up and Chavez goes down. I simply don't understand why people are freaking out...

Exactly.

Of course, the discourse in the comments at the PBC blog is only a step- perhaps a half-step- above that of the CIA folks. A bit beyond ridiculous, if you ask me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:00 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Are dogs and cats sleeping together?

Mine do. :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:31 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:

Yep and he deserves the shot because if he ends up doing really well then we have found a diamond in the rough. Meek stunk in April last year. Meek=May

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:10 am 

Colin21 wrote:

Chavez sucks ass. Helloooo!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:40 am 

Puggy wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

maybe but it doesn't get much worse than the April Meek had last season. So why start him out on the major league roster for April. Maybe he stands a chance at being a decent player if he has to work for a spot on the team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:42 am 
 WWW  Profile

Puggy wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Puggy - I'd really believe you felt that way if your "hello" was more drawn out.

What does it hurt having Chavez pitch? This bullpen is not looking like it's going to be very good anyhow. Even our closer this year is not looking like his typical self.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:39 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
maybe but it doesn't get much worse than the April Meek had last season. So why start him out on the major league roster for April. Maybe he stands a chance at being a decent player if he has to work for a spot on the team.

Colin,

I understand Meek sucked in April last season, but that should not have any reason not to have him on the Opening Day Roster because of his performance last season...He was a Rule 5 player the team was trying to hide and avoid using, but when the rotation went to crap and ran out of bodies in the bullpen, Russell had no choice...Meek was not ready to face Major League Batters last April...Meek is alot better pitcher than he was last season...The only reason he is in Indy right now is to get some work in because of the time he missed from being sick...

Meek getting called up is probably the first move made once the season starts, barring any injury to a position player or starting pitcher

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:04 pm 

BBF wrote:
I would not want to be a SP on this team and hand over a game in the 5th or 6th inning. That's not to say that Hansen and Veal's upside isn't worth a few blown games this year, but things could be painful, especially once Grabow is traded.

As for Chavez, if he really sucks and Meek is as good as we hope, they will be switched in a week or two. Meek hasn't thrown for 2 weeks, give him some innings in Indy before bringing him to Pittsburgh.

If you're handing the game over to the bullpen in the fifth or sixth, then you're a part of the problem, not a part of the solution.

This bullpen certainly looks shaky, but the bullpen is the last piece you look to acquire when building a winning team.