Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interleague play begins ... except for the Pirates AGAIN
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

There are two more NL teams than AL, so two NL teams must play each other while all the fun is going on elsewhere.

With that said, I am convinced the Bucs get to be one of the two left out NL teams each and every year. I tallied interleague games two years ago, I lost the figures but as of 2006, the Bucs played the least interleague games. And it wasn't close, Bucs were WAY down there.

I s'pose it doesn't help that the NL Central has an extra team; I noticed the Cubs and Brewers got chosen to play an NL team more often than the others, but less often than us.

I'm wondering if this was agreed to long ago between McClatchy and Selig -- the Bucs would forego an interleague series each year in exchange for an all-star game in shiny PNC. Bucs have had the luxury of three all-star games in 30 years, perhaps it's a trade-off.

Post subject: Re: Interleague play begins ... except for the Pirates AGAIN
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:46 pm 

Dave Augustine wrote:
There are two more NL teams than AL, so two NL teams must play each other while all the fun is going on elsewhere.

With that said, I am convinced the Bucs get to be one of the two left out NL teams each and every year. I tallied interleague games two years ago, I lost the figures but as of 2006, the Bucs played the least interleague games. And it wasn't close, Bucs were WAY down there.

I s'pose it doesn't help that the NL Central has an extra team; I noticed the Cubs and Brewers got chosen to play an NL team more often than the others, but less often than us.

I'm wondering if this was agreed to long ago between McClatchy and Selig -- the Bucs would forego an interleague series each year in exchange for an all-star game in shiny PNC. Bucs have had the luxury of three all-star games in 30 years, perhaps it's a trade-off.

Given their historical record in inter-league play, we probably shouldn't be complaining.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:29 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Given their historical record in inter-league play, we probably shouldn't be complaining.

How true burghermeister. Hopefully the Bucs can turn that around and beat up on some AL teams this year. I'd love to see the Pirates take the series against the Yankees at PNC this Summer. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'll never forget the bottoming-out two years ago when the Bucs were swept in KC. I attended every miserable game. I'd say 1/3 of the crowd were Pirates fans. We all left with out tails between our legs.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 pm 

If I did the math right, there are 12 NL teams who play one less interleague series every year. Now if there was some logic behind the interleague schedule, NFL style, those would rotate on a four-year-basis. And we wouldn't play the White Sox every year.

But there are many things to consider. A truly balanced multi-year schedule might indeed be mathematically impossible. Not all teams have permanent rivals which make up two of the six series. I could imagine that those without a permanent rival, like the Bucs, always play one less series.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:29 pm 

Since interleague play began, the Pirates have the worst record in the majors - 57-94. It is not even close. The following is the record of all teams in interleague play:

Worst Record in Interleague Play
Code:

Milwaukee 86-98 .468

Philadelphia 86-98 .467

Colorado 76-87 .466

Arizona 73-84 .465

San Diego 80-96 .455

Kansas City 86-107 .446

Cincinnati 68-89 .433

Tampa Bay 74-104 .416

Baltimore 79-114 .409

Pittsburgh 57-94 .377

And before the "payroll" chant starts - the three teams with the best record in interleague play are the Yankees, A's and Marlins. Two of those clubs would not qualify as big payroll teams.*

*Yes, the Marlins had a large payroll in 1997, but they disassembled that team at the end of the year and have not had a significant payroll since.