Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoke and Mirrors
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:58 pm 

I was reviewing the stats, and it hit me that there's no way this team should be only 1 game under .500.

Only 4 guys are off to good starts offensively, and one of them is hurt. Our shortstop got hurt early and we have no suitable backup. Our second baseman can barely throw a baseball. Our top two starters are pitching like fifth starters. Our defense overall has been poor, and our team speed is abysmal.

And yet somehow they find ways to win. Don't they realize they are PIRATES???

Post subject: Re: Smoke and Mirrors
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:31 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I was reviewing the stats, and it hit me that there's no way this team should be only 1 game under .500.

Only 4 guys are off to good starts offensively, and one of them is hurt. Our shortstop got hurt early and we have no suitable backup. Our second baseman can barely throw a baseball. Our top two starters are pitching like fifth starters. Our defense overall has been poor, and our team speed is abysmal.

Yes, I have had similar thoughts. And just think if we didn't have to play the Cubs!

One thing that jumped out at me in DK's PG article this morning (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08137/882387-63.stm), "Six of those 20 victories, more than a quarter, now have come when they trailed after the sixth inning." Very un-pirate like that little factoid is.

BM

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:34 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

According to their Pythagorean expectation, they're only one win over where they should be. They're scoring a few runs less than they are allowing, so they should be just under .500. The four guys who are off to good starts are off to VERY good starts, and the bullpen is doing a good job to pick up some slack from the rotation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:45 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi

Looks who's at the top of that RPI list. In other news, pigs fly!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:32 pm 

Heck if they'd have been able to get atleast one game or 2 from the Cubs you're looking at a .500 team...you're talking about a team 3 or 4 games out of 1st and ahead of the Brewers...

Lets have a celebration for the closer who is only converting 66% of his save chances...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:11 pm 

After the game yesterday, just for the heck of it, I did some research on how the Bucs of '08 compare with last year's team on the same date.

If I did the math correctly, last year's team scored 138 runs. This year: 205. Considering the woeful start by LaRoche, Bautista, Sanchez, and the shortstops, that's an increase of 1.4 runs a game, on average.

Alas, opponents are scoring an average of .8 more runs a game this year than over the same span last year.

Oops, meant to add that as of this date, the Bucs played 3 more games this season than they did in '07, so that skews the figures a little.