Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can we win 69 games?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Okay, I'm not a gambler at all. But I was in Vegas last week and wandered into a Sports Book area. The over/under on the Pirates' 2009 win total was 68.5. I took the over and wagered 10 bucks in hope that they'll impress me. Most fans like to wager on their team winning the World Series, but I wanted something realistic (plus, I had taken a pounding at the blackjack table and wanted to recoup something). I honestly think they could win 72-75 games...but I seem to think that EVERY year at this time.

So if all goes well and they win at least 69 games, I'll get 20 bucks...which I'll promptly spend on a Roberto Clemente baseball card via eBay.

Oh..and in other Vegas news: guess who I saw signing autographs in the mall at Caesar's Palace? Pete Rose. Right..I'm sure Pete was just in town to sign autographs. No other reason...

Post subject: Re: Can we win 69 games?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:28 pm 

I think they will win 69 (in my best Beavis and Butthead voice: "Heh heh, you said 69. Heh heh"). When we did predictions a few weeks ago, I picked the Bucs for 69 wins.

On a side note: Did you place your bet before or after you saw Pete Rose? He may have been able to give you some tips on whether or not it was a smart bet. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

With the giant holes in the lineup and even bigger holes in the rotation...don't spend that $10.00 yet!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:37 am 

For what it's worth, Baseball Prospectus projects 63 wins for the Pirates. However, it's doing so based on pessimistic views of Ian Snell, Andy LaRoche, and Andrew McCutchen, none of which I believe are warranted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:11 am 

I'm going with 67 wins this season.
And remember when gambling WWPD (What Would Pete Do)
I loved Pete Rose's book if you haven't ever read it take the time and go pick it up.You can probably get it for about $2 on ebay.Its worth it.
Pete Rose, Pete Rose, Pete Rose just got Tombstoned!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:13 am 
 WWW  Profile

By GAWD, King! Pete Rose just got tombstoned!! Heh..it IS that time of year, isn't it?

Also glad I'm not the only one who instantly thought of the juvenile "69" reference. That was another reason I went in on the bet. While I have a inner Beavis, my first thought was actually of Bill & Ted, with: "if you are us... what number are we thinking of?" "69, dudes!! Catch ya' later Bill and Ted"

I guess I'm optimistic because they don't seem to have any logjammers this year; my term for acquired veteran guys who are just plugging the holes and manning a position for a year or two. See: Chris Stynes, Tony Armless, Jeromy Burnitz, Matt Morris, etc. That's taking into consideration Craig Monroe, even (I see Monroe as #4 or 5 outfielder, which seems like a helpful role). Plus, when MLB Network had their unofficial "Pirate Night" a few weeks ago, I had a fan-gasm and bought into their hype.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:19 am 

eStragand wrote:
By GAWD, King! Pete Rose just got tombstoned!! Heh..it IS that time of year, isn't it?

Also glad I'm not the only one who instantly thought of the juvenile "69" reference. That was another reason I went in on the bet. While I have a inner Beavis, my first thought was actually of Bill & Ted, with: "if you are us... what number are we thinking of?" "69, dudes!! Catch ya' later Bill and Ted"

I guess I'm optimistic because they don't seem to have any logjammers this year; my term for acquired veteran guys who are just plugging the holes and manning a position for a year or two. See: Chris Stynes, Tony Armless, Jeromy Burnitz, Matt Morris, etc. That's taking into consideration Craig Monroe, even (I see Monroe as #4 or 5 outfielder, which seems like a helpful role). Plus, when MLB Network had their unofficial "Pirate Night" a few weeks ago, I had a fan-gasm and bought into their hype.

You forgot one and it was his anniversary today on March 31st. This is the day the Pirates released and paid Derek Bell $4.5 million for going into "operation shutdown". Also while looking at some of Derek Bell's stats i found this that seemed to fall through the cracks.
On April 20, 2006, Derek Bell was charged with felony cocaine possession and possession of drug paraphernalia, after police found a warm crack pipe in the back seat of his car during a traffic stop. He was arrested again on December 2, 2008, facing three counts of possession of drug paraphernalia and one count of failure to appear in court on another charge of possession of drug paraphernalia from earlier in the year.
And yes it is that time of year. Wrestlemania 25 is only 4 days away! but by gawd its the 25th anniversary and the card stinks. One of the worst ever set for a Wrestlemania. Join me in the other sports forum on April 5th for Wrestlemania coverage where we can argue if professional wrestling is a sport or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:08 am 

I always get a kick out of the Mexican TV crew's table getting broken during EVERY wrestling PPV.. As for the Bucs, you'll get your money. I think the team will win 75 games..maybe 78.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:51 pm 

eStragand wrote:
Okay, I'm not a gambler at all. But I was in Vegas last week and wandered into a Sports Book area. The over/under on the Pirates' 2009 win total was 68.5. I took the over and wagered 10 bucks in hope that they'll impress me. Most fans like to wager on their team winning the World Series, but I wanted something realistic (plus, I had taken a pounding at the blackjack table and wanted to recoup something). I honestly think they could win 72-75 games...but I seem to think that EVERY year at this time.

So if all goes well and they win at least 69 games, I'll get 20 bucks...which I'll promptly spend on a Roberto Clemente baseball card via eBay.

Oh..and in other Vegas news: guess who I saw signing autographs in the mall at Caesar's Palace? Pete Rose. Right..I'm sure Pete was just in town to sign autographs. No other reason...

I think I'd have to take the under on 68.5, simply because I don't know who is going to be playing first, second and short for the last two months of the season, or who the top lefty out of the bullpen will be, either.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ol' Lightning Wit strikes again... what I should've done is placed a bet on the REDS. Then taken that betting stub over to Pete Rose and gotten him to autograph it. That would've been an epic collectible. A Reds betting slip signed by a guy who claimed he bet on baseball, just never on the Reds.