Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Josh Bell
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:32 am 

To channel my inner Samuel L. Jackson, Is it just me or is Josh Bell the strongest Mother F**ker to wear a Pirates uniform since Dave Parker?

He hit an opposite field homerun to the other power alley on what looked almost like a check swing!

Wow!

Post subject: Re: Josh Bell
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 pm 

I should be used to looking at him by now, but I still marvel at that man's shoulders every time I look at him. Immense. I guess he's a real student of his swing, too. Always tinkering with it. That's why the nickname "Tinkerbell."

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:01 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Shush. That kind of talk and performance would make him a really good draft pick. Can't have that meme.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:05 pm 

Bell can hit. The concerns about a switch-hitter are always that the right-handed hitting will be an issue, like it was with Neil Walker. No concerns in that regard. Bell can rake right-handed.

However, Hurdle needs to STOP removing him from games for defensive reasons. Yes, I know Bell struggled mightily at 1st last season, but he has been more than adequate this season and I am freaking sick of seeing John Jaso come to the plate rather than Bell in a tie game, because Hurdle replaced Bell with Jaso and the bad guys rallied to tie the game.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 pm 

Bell hitting left handed: .348 OBP, .444 SLG, .792 OPS

Bell hitting right handed: .308 OPS, .559 SLG, .867 OPS

Thus far, it seems like his power comes from the right side and his on base ability comes from the left side. He has more homers batting right handed than left handed even though he has 53 more plate appearances on the left side.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 pm 

Agreed. This team isn't good enough to worry about the defensive replacement BS. Keep him in there and let him learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:23 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I predict the pull out for defense will drop by the wayside as the season progresses.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:32 pm 

I hope you are right Mike.... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:42 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I predict the pull out for defense will drop by the wayside as the season progresses.
ZM

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I hope you are right Mike.... 8-) 8-)

So do I. However, Hurdle is addicted to the defensive sub, ever since Pedro took over at 1st base and Hurdle had Sean Rodriguez to handle the defensive assignment.

Never liked even that substitution, though Pedro was a dreadful 1st baseman and Rodriguez was quite good.

Now, taking out arguably the best hitter on the team, and a switch-hitter, to sub in a guy who is really not much better defensively?!? No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Now, taking out arguably the best hitter on the team, and a switch-hitter, to sub in a guy who is really not much better defensively?!? No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

This is why it is even worse. Jaso isn't winning a gold glove anytime soon. How many times does Hurdle manage this way and then end up with only his back up catcher left to pinch hit late in a game. Idiotic.