Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Streaming In Market Games Via Root Sports
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 pm 

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Streaming In Market Games Via Root Sports
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 pm 

What exactly does this mean?? From what I've read, this gives people who have a cable subscription that includes ROOT Sports the option to know stream games online, correct? If you have ROOT Sports on your TV, why would you need to stream games online?

I live in Columbus, OH. I do not have access to ROOT Sports Pittsburgh. I'm guessing I will still have no way to watch Pirates' games.

Can somebody explain this a little better for me?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:48 pm 

This does me no good. I have Sling TV and can get Yankee games without Comcast, DirectTV or Dish (which are my available choices) This basically says I have to subscribe to DirecTV to get this service. (Don't even see Dish or Comcast).

Actually, you can get the Fox Regional Sports Networks too with Sling TV if you are in-market, but not Root. This stinks as I am still stuck with the audio feed like I have been since I cut the cord in 2014.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:35 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
What exactly does this mean?? From what I've read, this gives people who have a cable subscription that includes ROOT Sports the option to know stream games online, correct? If you have ROOT Sports on your TV, why would you need to stream games online?

You don't have to be in front of a TV to watch the game. You can watch on your phone or tablet. Wherever you are. Business trip in Spokane? Fire up the app and watch the Bucs. Wedding in Dallas? Fire up the app and watch the Bucs.

But, as BB points out, your cable subscription must include ROOT Sports Pittsburgh in order for you to take advantage of the app.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 am 

bucco boy wrote:
This does me no good. I have Sling TV and can get Yankee games without Comcast, DirectTV or Dish (which are my available choices) This basically says I have to subscribe to DirecTV to get this service. (Don't even see Dish or Comcast).

Actually, you can get the Fox Regional Sports Networks too with Sling TV if you are in-market, but not Root. This stinks as I am still stuck with the audio feed like I have been since I cut the cord in 2014.

How is Sling TV? Been thinking about going the PS Vue, Sling TV, etc. direction.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:10 am 

Will they ever fix the ridiculous black out rules??

I live "too close" to Pittsburgh so I cannot purchase MLB.tv because the games are blacked out, but I live too far away from Pittsburgh so I cannot get ROOT Sports Pittsburgh.

The only thing I can do is illegally stream games on sketchy websites with extremely unreliable connections.

Its frickin 2017!!! There should be a LEGAL way to watch your favorite MLB team.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:47 am 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:

I live "too close" to Pittsburgh so I cannot purchase MLB.tv because the games are blacked out, but I live too far away from Pittsburgh so I cannot get ROOT Sports Pittsburgh.

The only thing I can do is illegally stream games on sketchy websites with extremely unreliable connections.

Its frickin 2017!!! There should be a LEGAL way to watch your favorite MLB team.

You have any friends in Pittsburgh that might be willing to share their sign-in?
I happen to know someone who shares his MLB app log-in with a family member who, in exchange, supplies HBO and Showtime log-ins. I'm thinking that is probably not allowed by T&Cs but they do it anyway and haven't run into problems.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:51 am 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:

Actually, I'm thinking that you can get ROOT Pittsburgh. You just don't want to pay what is necessary to get it. Subscribe to DirecTV, subscribe to its sports package and you'll get all regional sports networks in your home territory - not just default one provided in your basic cable or satellite package.

It's out there, you just have to pay.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:15 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
TheTimeIsNow wrote:

Actually, I'm thinking that you can get ROOT Pittsburgh. You just don't want to pay what is necessary to get it. Subscribe to DirecTV, subscribe to its sports package and you'll get all regional sports networks in your home territory - not just default one provided in your basic cable or satellite package.

Hmmm. I'll have to look into that. I dont really know much about Direct TV. I've always had Time Warner Cable :(

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 pm 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
TheTimeIsNow wrote:

Hmmm. I'll have to look into that. I dont really know much about Direct TV. I've always had Time Warner Cable :(

Time Warner Cable is now Spectrum!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:30 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

One other thing to try, and I'll be testing this one, is to download Kodi - free streaming app - and a good VPN. Using the two together you should be able to find Root Sports Pittsburgh on the Kodi menu and using the VPN, fool it into thinking you are streaming from Canada or Mexico. I have the Kodi app now, but not the VPN, and I can watch MLB.com games, sort of. Since I don't have a VPN, the MLB app knows I'm in the US and won't show me any US games. BUT, I can watch all the Toronto games I want to through MLB.com.

No, I don't subscribe, but free streaming across borders is legal.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:37 pm 

The commit talked about solving the black out rule on Mike & mike I think. We cut the cord, we are in NC. we bought the melba tv pkg for $100 (+/-) so we can watch any game except our home teams. Nats & Orioles). so over the past several years we had direct tv and thru that Masn, so i watched nats & orioles games. Now i can watch all the Pirates games. I can maybe understand the black out rule within 1-2 hours of the team, but i am 4- 5 hrs. from Washington and 5-6 hours from Baltimore. I'm not going to a Tuesday night game. But if i watched Wash/Blat games a few nights a week, i might go to weekend games twice a year. I'd even pay some extra fee to get the local teams. there has to be a way. already 2 months into the season I don't keep up with the nats/o's as much as i did when i watched them 3-4 nights a week.

Does anyone know is the reason for the blackout due to wanting people to come to games, not watch on tv? or does masn (name your local network) worry about losing viewers on direct tv to streaming?

On a positive note i do get to watch the pirates now.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:19 pm 

Haven't had cable for 2 years now and I don't miss it. Whenever I visit my parents I'm reminded how much of a waste it really is. 800 channels and nothing at all worth watching 90% of the time. I use MLB.TV for the Buccos and similar services for my other teams. I like that setup a lot more.

The blackouts I believe have to do wirg preserving markets, but they're really ridiculously drawn. The Indians control all of NEO despite Pittsburgh only being 45 minutes from the border and rhere being legions of Pittsburgh fans in the area. The Pirates are getting screwed by this.