Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeff Niemann
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:45 pm 

So Perotto is reporting we have interest in him. Mark me down as someone who would love to see us get this guy to fill out our rotation. The question is, what would we have to give up? This is the same guy that was in all the Bay rumors last summer. Now that he is out of options, his price is obviously much lower, so it probably wouldn't be a top 10 prospect. Wonder what it would cost and if NH will pony up?

Post subject: Re: Jeff Niemann
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 pm 

BBF wrote:
So Perotto is reporting we have interest in him. Mark me down as someone who would love to see us get this guy to fill out our rotation. The question is, what would we have to give up? This is the same guy that was in all the Bay rumors last summer. Now that he is out of options, his price is obviously much lower, so it probably wouldn't be a top 10 prospect. Wonder what it would cost and if NH will pony up?

Interesting. I wouldn't mind him at all, I just wouldn't want to see the Pirates give up a whole lot for him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:39 am 

Rays are struggling to keep Niemann on the major league roster. David Price may start the year in the minors so that the Rays do not have to pass Niemann through waivers. If the Rays are unable to keep Niemann on the major league roster, they will look to deal him.

I think that he has a high "upside." He is a very big guy who throws mid-90's, and who features a sharp breaking slider which sometimes he cannot control. His minor league performance is pretty good - 377 K's in 372 innings, 3.58 combined ERA. His ability to throw 95 mph for 7 innings, and his proven ability to miss bats, means that he is a worthwhile pitcher to add as a number 5 starter.

In fact, putting him on the staff would give the Pirates 3 pure power arms (Snell, Ohlendorf, Niemann) and a guy who is underrated in terms of his power approach (Maholm). That would be a significant change from just a couple of years ago, when the Pirates featured Snell as the only power arm starting pitcher.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:42 am 

Price was already demoted. And they still might have to pass Niemann through waivers. THAT is what you call depth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:13 am 

Wow. I was really hoping last summer he would be included in a package deal with the Rays for Bay or Nady. He looks good. What is the guy, 6'9" and throws hard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 am 

They sent Price down so Niemann could get a spot on the roster. Tampa knows they are caught between a rock and a hard place with their situation. If they deal Niemann, it won't be for very much...but if they don't deal Niemann, Price has to stay in Durham and that may very well tick off a ton of fans, not to mention cost the Rays a shot at post-season.

That being said, it's a great situation to be in..If I were the Rays, I would ask for a extra outfielder..something the Bucs have PLENTY of.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 am 

I'd offer the Rays Neil Walker. The players are similar in that they are both affected by a numbers game within their own organizations. Walker is between a LaRoche/Alvarez sandwich and, JMHO, no longer projects as corner producer at the MLB level. (Heck, he's not even doing it at the AAA level.) I realize he's young for his level, and a former #1.

That's the point: the Rays will drive a hard bargain and I don't see them giving up Niemann for less than the likes of Walker. Pearce has been mentioned on my usual board but I would like to keep him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:49 am 

SyrBucco wrote:
I'd offer the Rays Neil Walker. The players are similar in that they are both affected by a numbers game within their own organizations. Walker is between a LaRoche/Alvarez sandwich and, JMHO, no longer projects as corner producer at the MLB level. (Heck, he's not even doing it at the AAA level.) I realize he's young for his level, and a former #1.

That's the point: the Rays will drive a hard bargain and I don't see them giving up Niemann for less than the likes of Walker. Pearce has been mentioned on my usual board but I would like to keep him.

If all it takes to acquire Niemann is Walker or Pearce, I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. Niemann has far more potential than either player.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:17 pm 

Willton wrote:
SyrBucco wrote:

If all it takes to acquire Niemann is Walker or Pearce, I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. Niemann has far more potential than either player.

Based on the players the Rays supposedly wanted from San Diego, it doesn't look like Walker or Pearce fit what TB is looking for. Tampa wants younger prospects with higher upside, not slightly older ones whose stock is in decline. None of the Padres players have played beyond high A. I'm thinking the asking price would be a bit more painful, say Bryan Morris.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:37 pm 

SyrBucco wrote:

The Rays would have no interest in Neil Walker. They have Longoria at 3rd right now. They wouldn't want him to play 1st because they have Pena to man first. I also highly doubt that they would trade for Walker in order for him to play catcher, as they have an All-Star in Navarro behind the plate. As the resident Rays fan on the board, I don't see anybody who the Rays would really want, short of Alvarez and McCutchen.