Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Marte suspended for 80 games.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:03 pm 

McCutchen acts like a brat sometimes. Let's not forget that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
I would be done with Marte. Trade him for whatever, but be done with him. His head is always up his ass anyway. See if Cutch would take another team (very) friendly contract extension. At least he represents the city the right way.

If Osuna looks good, and Meadows pans out I know I'd be done with Marte.

Absolutely. The unknown factor here is the negative impact his "Mr. Cool" attitude and playing style had on the Pirate clubhouse. Maybe it will be "cool" to hustle again.

That's crazy talk. Do you want them to field a good team or not? Marte is exactly the kind of player the Pirates need. A good player signed at a below market price.

Should they trade Cervelli too? If so who would catch?

And for Cutch, they may not even want to pick up his option for next year, yet alone extend him.

Apples and oranges. Cervelli is a great teammate with a positive attitude who plays the game right. The same can't be said for Marte.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:
When did they increase the 50 game penalty to 80?

50 is the minor league penalty, 80 is MLB. See the Marlins 2B last year.

Guess we'll know if Marte comes back a skinny kid.

If I'm Clint, I move Cutch back to CF, Frazier to RF and permanent leadoff, at least until he proves he can't do it.

I go shopping for a 4th OF with some power and maybe on the end of his career. Meadows ain't close yet.

ZM

As tempting as it may be to move Josh Bell to the OF and play Jaso at 1B, I sure hope that doesn't happen. Bell needs to learn to play 1B. I've grown to dislike Jaso as a ballplayer. Frazier is the poor man's version of Matt Carpenter; he just puts the bat on the ball. Its certainly not perfect but I think ZM's suggestion is the right one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm 

the prospect of watching jaso play more would be enough to make me tune out until next season, can't believe a stiff like that pulls in $4 million + per year...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Look at that Atlanta roster. It is full of "guys to be traded for young guys" as part of their rebuild.

You might have to pay a bit of a premium, but I'm guessing you can have Markakais or even Kemp right now.

Either would look good for 80 games.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm 

I've always felt Marte was a lazy and undisciplined player, but talented. Add stupid to that list. People wanted to run cutch out of town and make this guy our feature player. Never.

I was just starting to feel good about this team after sweeping the Cubs. Now this? How do we replace a guy like Marte?

F you Marte in whatever language you speak.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Look at that Atlanta roster. It is full of "guys to be traded for young guys" as part of their rebuild.

You might have to pay a bit of a premium, but I'm guessing you can have Markakais or even Kemp right now.

Either would look good for 80 games.

ZM

Angel Pagan is still a free agent.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Wow that's a bombshell. I thought you were joking. And wish you were.

That's a harsh penalty for a first offense.

No it's not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:
When did they increase the 50 game penalty to 80?

50 is the minor league penalty, 80 is MLB. See the Marlins 2B last year.

Guess we'll know if Marte comes back a skinny kid.

If I'm Clint, I move Cutch back to CF, Frazier to RF and permanent leadoff, at least until he proves he can't do it.

I go shopping for a 4th OF with some power and maybe on the end of his career. Meadows ain't close yet.

ZM

Any way to get Frazier in the lineup every day I am all for, it just sucks that it had to happen this way.

I'm thinking this makes it all but certain that at some point this season we will see Meadows and if he is successful makes a Cutch trade all but certain if we are not in the running this year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 pm 

VERY disappointing.

Somewhere Ryan Braun snickers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:03 am 

Ralphie wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
I would be done with Marte. Trade him for whatever, but be done with him. His head is always up his ass anyway. See if Cutch would take another team (very) friendly contract extension. At least he represents the city the right way.

If Osuna looks good, and Meadows pans out I know I'd be done with Marte.

Absolutely. The unknown factor here is the negative impact his "Mr. Cool" attitude and playing style had on the Pirate clubhouse. Maybe it will be "cool" to hustle again.

That's crazy talk. Do you want them to field a good team or not? Marte is exactly the kind of player the Pirates need. A good player signed at a below market price.

Should they trade Cervelli too? If so who would catch?

And for Cutch, they may not even want to pick up his option for next year, yet alone extend him.

It's not crazy. He is lazy a lot of the time. He is lackadaisical much of the time. And now add idiotic to the list. I wouldn't want him back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:25 am 

IA Pirate wrote:

This is such childish behavior. This is not what I want to see out of a leader.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:26 am 

RTJR wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

This is such childish behavior. This is not what I want to see out of a leader.

Have you ever competed at something? This is exactly what you would want to see from a competitor. He spent the entire offseason being disrespected by a team he gave a home town deal to. He towed the company line and played nice. But obviously he never wanted moved.

Maybe this spurs him on to have a good season, or maybe not. But a competitor will always think like this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 am 

That's such a load of crap. He wasn't disrespected. The Pirates made a decision that was best for the team. And it was the right decision because he was awful in center field last season.

As far as the comment, who cares? If that makes him feel better and play better, so be it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
That's such a load of crap. He wasn't disrespected. The Pirates made a decision that was best for the team. And it was the right decision because he was awful in center field last season.

As far as the comment, who cares? If that makes him feel better and play better, so be it.

Agreed. I get the feeling he went to right field just shy of protest.

I have a feeling the lovable Cutch is gone and we'll be seeing the man-on-a-mission Cutch this season. Whether that means he'll put up numbers we expect from him is a different story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 am 

Crazy how things turn out, huh?

If Kang doesn't run into his issues, the Bucs would likely have Kang at 3B, Freese at 1B and Bell in RF.

After my post yesterday, I'm starting to re-think things over. Is this team headed towards a Polanco-Meadows-Bell outfield? If so, perhaps the smart move would be to move Bell to RF, Freese to 1B, Harrison to 3B and let Frazier play 2B.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Crazy how things turn out, huh?

If Kang doesn't run into his issues, the Bucs would likely have Kang at 3B, Freese at 1B and Bell in RF.

After my post yesterday, I'm starting to re-think things over. Is this team headed towards a Polanco-Meadows-Bell outfield? If so, perhaps the smart move would be to move Bell to RF, Freese to 1B, Harrison to 3B and let Frazier play 2B.

I doubt Bell ever would have been moved to RF. They won't sacrifice his future (at 1B) by him losing valuable playing time there for half a season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
It's not crazy. He is lazy a lot of the time. He is lackadaisical much of the time. And now add idiotic to the list. I wouldn't want him back.

I disagree. You are reading too much into the way he carries himself. Just because he looks relaxed and loose and is always laughing and smiling does not mean that he is lazy, lackadaisical and doesn't care.

Yes, I do admit that there are occasions that he makes a bone headed play but I could say that about a lot of players throughout the league. It happens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

From his perspective he was disrespected. The main thing was reading about trade rumors in the media. Then the move out of CF. I agree he needed to move, and right field was the right spot for him. He clearly didn't want to move. So in his mind, the team that he gave a discount and the team he wants to stay with, disrespected him.

Teams definitely have to do what's best, but sometimes it's how they go about doing it that matters.