Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Marte suspended for 80 games.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2857
rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
It's not crazy. He is lazy a lot of the time. He is lackadaisical much of the time. And now add idiotic to the list. I wouldn't want him back.


I disagree. You are reading too much into the way he carries himself. Just because he looks relaxed and loose and is always laughing and smiling does not mean that he is lazy, lackadaisical and doesn't care.

Yes, I do admit that there are occasions that he makes a bone headed play but I could say that about a lot of players throughout the league. It happens.

No way! He has shown his lackadaisical attitude in the field and most definitely on the bases. A lot! And as bad as Cutch was in CF last year, Marte was not playing very well there so far this year.

He is a prime time athlete that excels because of that athleticism. If he would get his head out of his ass, he could become really good...but who knows about that now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte suspended for 80 games.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 7642
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
rellimie wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Crazy how things turn out, huh?

If Kang doesn't run into his issues, the Bucs would likely have Kang at 3B, Freese at 1B and Bell in RF.

After my post yesterday, I'm starting to re-think things over. Is this team headed towards a Polanco-Meadows-Bell outfield? If so, perhaps the smart move would be to move Bell to RF, Freese to 1B, Harrison to 3B and let Frazier play 2B.


I doubt Bell ever would have been moved to RF. They won't sacrifice his future (at 1B) by him losing valuable playing time there for half a season.


Wasn't the sole motivation to move him to first base because he was blocked in the OF? No room if your outfield is Polanco-Cutch-Marte or Marte-Meadows-Polanco. If you take Marte out of the equation, then doesn't it follow logically that Bell should move back to his former (and more natural) defensive position?

I fully agree that, if Marte's absence is solely for the next 80 games and the Bucs have no interest in moving him as a result of his misdeed, then he should continue to learn on the job at 1B. But if that plan is now in jeopardy, then I think that he should be moved to the OF.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte suspended for 80 games.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 858
rellimie wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Wow that's a bombshell. I thought you were joking. And wish you were.

That's a harsh penalty for a first offense.


No it's not.



Particularly in light of what the substance was. This was intentional cheating.

Quote:
This is such childish behavior. This is not what I want to see out of a leader.


Agreed....From the stand point that timing is everything. 2 weeks from now he would be considered a "great competitor". The day after winning the position because someone did something stupid, hes just kicking the Pirate brass while their down.

Quote:
And for Cutch, they may not even want to pick up his option for next year, yet alone extend him.


And at this point the feeling may be mutual. Leaving the possibility of return somewhere between "Probably not and No way".

_________________
RTJR endorsed as the worlds worst poster ever!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte suspended for 80 games.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 858
fred_1_15301 wrote:
Where do they go from here? I can't imagine they call up Meadows yet. Trade?


Im going to assume Osuna's call up was planned all along. Here in Indy Osuna has been playing in left. Which was odd considering that he spent most of the grapefruit league at 1st. And then when you factor in that the Pirates knew about the failed drug test before they came north, it makes sense.

_________________
RTJR endorsed as the worlds worst poster ever!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Marte suspended for 80 games.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 2051
No. 9 wrote:
rellimie wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Crazy how things turn out, huh?

If Kang doesn't run into his issues, the Bucs would likely have Kang at 3B, Freese at 1B and Bell in RF.

After my post yesterday, I'm starting to re-think things over. Is this team headed towards a Polanco-Meadows-Bell outfield? If so, perhaps the smart move would be to move Bell to RF, Freese to 1B, Harrison to 3B and let Frazier play 2B.


I doubt Bell ever would have been moved to RF. They won't sacrifice his future (at 1B) by him losing valuable playing time there for half a season.


Wasn't the sole motivation to move him to first base because he was blocked in the OF? No room if your outfield is Polanco-Cutch-Marte or Marte-Meadows-Polanco. If you take Marte out of the equation, then doesn't it follow logically that Bell should move back to his former (and more natural) defensive position?

I fully agree that, if Marte's absence is solely for the next 80 games and the Bucs have no interest in moving him as a result of his misdeed, then he should continue to learn on the job at 1B. But if that plan is now in jeopardy, then I think that he should be moved to the OF.


I highly doubt they trade him after the suspension. If the Brewers didn't trade Braun after he lied and got a guy fired and they aren't going dump Kang after his issues then I don't know why they would cut ties with Marte over this.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits