Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zach Duke - not so good today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:42 pm 

Yikes. Hope he is still working on stuff. Three walks, nine hits and eight earned runs in 3.1 IP.

On the other hand, the Bucs scored a ton of runs off AJ Burnett. Dingers in this game by Doumit, Hinske and Adam LaRoche. Bixler had 2 errors (4 for the spring) and Cutch was 1 for 1 but did have his first error. All 9 position players reached base and 7 reached base twice.

Post subject: Re: Zach Duke - not so good today
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:53 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Yikes. Hope he is still working on stuff. Three walks, nine hits and eight earned runs in 3.1 IP.

On the other hand, the Bucs scored a ton of runs off AJ Burnett. Dingers in this game by Doumit, Hinske and Adam LaRoche. Bixler had 2 errors (4 for the spring) and Cutch was 1 for 1 but did have his first error. All 9 position players reached base and 7 reached base twice.

Yeah, I wonder what happened to him. He seemed to be in pretty good control through the 1st 3 innings, then fell apart in the 4th. It WAS a decent yankees lineup, so it shouldn't be too surprising that they would get their hits, but the 3 walks are worrisome. On the other hand, he had 7 ground ball outs, which is what he does, and of those 9 hits, only 3 were for extra bases. Hopefully this was just a blip on the radar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:18 pm 

Same old same old from Duke.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:29 pm 

Wind was blowing out again, but nowhere near as strong as the Saturday game. It was blowing out to CF at about 15 mph, but Doumit's HR did not need any help, according to the PPG.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:45 pm 

It's not this start that makes me worry about Duke as it's only spring training. What makes me worry about Duke is the way he's pitched for the last several years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 am 

Zane41 wrote:
It's not this start that makes me worry about Duke as it's only spring training. What makes me worry about Duke is the way he's pitched for the last several years.

But to be fair, in the first half Duke had a lot of good starts. As of July 5, 2008, he was 4-5 with a 3.88 ERA and had logged 8 quality starts. Pretty good showing by a number 5 starter ... number 3, well, not so much. But I think that Duke is the perfect number 5 starter. A guy who can go 7 innings, keep the ball in the park, keep the Pirates in the game.