Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Former Pirates
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:14 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Well Liriano's eye-popping spring stats aren't so impressive now. He always did have a tendancy to melt down, but this was spectacular. It's going to be interesting to see how he does from here.

I never thought McGuire, Ramirez, or Hutchison were going to amount to anything, and I don't think Neil did either, so the trade was all about Liriano and the money he was owed.

I thought there was a decent chance Liriano would return to being a good pitcher. But then again there's a decent chance he won't.

McGuire will end up being Chris Stewart at best.

Since you are so good at predicting the future(of a 21 year old prospect) maybe you could give me the winning lottery numbers for this week.

Even scouts say odds are against him ever panning out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 am 

The criticism of Huntington regarding McGuire should be that he was a busted top-10 draft pick, not that he gave him away to the Blue Jays.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 am 
 WWW  Profile

In one message you say he's Chris Stewart. In another you say he'll never pan out.

Stewart has hit .275 in his time with the Pirates and has been a stud behind the dish.

Would you have traded Stewart, Liriano, and Ramirez to the Jays for Hutchinson? Me either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:06 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
The criticism of Huntington regarding McGuire should be that he was a busted top-10 draft pick, not that he gave him away to the Blue Jays.

That is also unfair. At the time he was drafted his projections were good. He was a very good pick. It's impossible for GM's to predict to what extent prospects are not going to pan out. Yes he is a top 10 pick that didn't pan out, I don't think Huntington should be criticized for it though. Based on the information provided at the time he was a good pick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 pm 

Did anyone see the line from Liriano's first start? Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:35 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

You're a bit late to the party, my friend. Check out page 1 in this thread. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:41 pm 

ronevensen wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Like a freaking year late to the party. UPPMB foul assessed. Bucco Boy should fine me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:07 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
ronevensen wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Like a freaking year late to the party. UPPMB foul assessed. Bucco Boy should fine me.

Corsair has always been and always will be board disciplinarian. (Whether he likes it or not).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:38 pm 

rellimie wrote:

That is also unfair. At the time he was drafted his projections were good. He was a very good pick. It's impossible for GM's to predict to what extent prospects are not going to pan out. Yes he is a top 10 pick that didn't pan out, I don't think Huntington should be criticized for it though. Based on the information provided at the time he was a good pick.

Relli, my man, you've got to be sleeping with someone in the front office(Not that there's anything wrong with that) because they've never made one mistake in your eyes. Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:

Relli, my man, you've got to be sleeping with someone in the front office(Not that there's anything wrong with that) because they've never made one mistake in your eyes. Wow!

That's not true.

The Bay trade left a lot to be desired. There were also a handful of signings early in his tenure that were blah. Not putting a QO on A couple of guys also irked me.

It's hard for me to blame a GM though for spending a top 10 pick on a guy that projected to be a top 10 pick. Drafting is a gamble and if we blamed a GM for drafting a guy where he was projected and didn't pan out then all GM's would suck.

What you don't see too much from Neal is reaching.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 am 

rellimie wrote:

That's not true.

The Bay trade left a lot to be desired. There were also a handful of signings early in his tenure that were blah. Not putting a QO on A couple of guys also irked me.

It's hard for me to blame a GM though for spending a top 10 pick on a guy that projected to be a top 10 pick. Drafting is a gamble and if we blamed a GM for drafting a guy where he was projected and didn't pan out then all GM's would suck.

I was just razzing you anyway...I don't have a huge problem with NH. My issue is with the owner and Frank, his right hand man. I actually think he makes NH's job really difficult.

This one I believe 100%. There should be a "reasonable" amount more spent on the team. Regardless if McGuire is bagging groceries two years from now, you shouldn't have to dump two prospects to get rid of salary. I know they were able to acquire two pitchers this offseason, but it shouldn't have been an either/or situation. But, alas, I'm all argued out on this subject. I've got to get busy repenting for the sin of thinking Glasnow should have been in the majors earlier last season... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
rellimie wrote:

That's not true.

I was just razzing you anyway...I don't have a huge problem with NH. My issue is with the owner and Frank, his right hand man. I actually think he makes NH's job really difficult.

This one I believe 100%. There should be a "reasonable" amount more spent on the team. Regardless if McGuire is bagging groceries two years from now, you shouldn't have to dump two prospects to get rid of salary. I know they were able to acquire two pitchers this offseason, but it shouldn't have been an either/or situation. But, alas, I'm all argued out on this subject. I've got to get busy repenting for the sin of thinking Glasnow should have been in the majors earlier last season... :shock:

It's the reality of baseball though. The Pirates are a small market team. The Pirates spend a higher % of their revenue than most on the roster. This team just can't eat 17 million dollars like the Yankees, Cubs and Cards can.

I would love for them to spend more however I enjoy going to games. I know that for them to spend more ticket prices need to go up proportionately. Currently I think the Pirates have the tickets priced about right for the region which means the payroll is about right.

I also don't want to see them spend themselves into almost bankruptcy like they did in the past and then have to endure dumping payroll and years and years of losing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:56 am 

rellimie wrote:

Respectfully and completely disagree. It's the GM's job to know more than the info provided by draft projections. They're paid to predict to what extent prospects are going to pan out. It may be an impossible task as you say, but those who are better at it are the better GM's. It was a bust of a pick point blank and hard to argue. I realize that the bust rate is going to be higher than in other sports, but too many of them and you're joining the Dave Littlefield's of the world.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:07 pm 

rellimie wrote:

Respectfully and completely disagree. It's the GM's job to know more than the info provided by draft projections. They're paid to predict to what extent prospects are going to pan out. It may be an impossible task as you say, but those who are better at it are the better GM's. It was a bust of a pick point blank and hard to argue. I realize that the bust rate is going to be higher than in other sports, but too many of them and you're joining the Dave Littlefield's of the world.

Can't compare bust rate to Littlefield. Hunting drafts high projection guys regardless of sign-ability or money. Littlefield would drift singable guys well above their projection.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:48 am 

Former long-reliever Jeanmar Gomez had earned his way in the Phillies Closer role the last year, but appears to have lost it after some early rough outings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 pm 

Chase D'Arnaud is playing LF for the Braves tonight.

Who even still knew he was in the league???

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:36 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Chase D'Arnaud is playing LF for the Braves tonight.

Who even still knew he was in the league???

Huh, no kidding. Good for him. I guess he played in 84 games with the Braves last year.