Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Former Bucco farmhand JaCoby Jones just hit a three run HR off of...Jose Quintana.

Jones was traded to the Tigers in 2015 for Joakim Soria.

Post subject: Re: Former Pirates
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 pm 

How about this one? Gorkys Hernandez, starting for injured Denard Span, went 2-5 with 4 rbi in the Giants' opening day victory over the D-Backs. Didn't even know he was still in the majors. He is best remembered by Pirate fans for being acquired from the Braves along with Jeff Locke and Charlie Morton for the immortal Nate McLouth in 2009. McLouth was quite popular at the time, so the trade wasn't well received by some, but the Buccos definitely got the best of that one. Gorkys didn't contribute much, but Locke and Morton had their moments. By the way, Morton is starting for the Astros tonight against the Mariners.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:50 am 

I heard Morton was throwing mid to upper nineties in spring training. Wonder where the hell that came from.

He did ok last night. 6 innings 2 earned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:37 pm 

Liriano's line today: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 135.00 ERA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:57 pm 

RTJR wrote:

Looks like they weren't chasing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Cheap Nuttings.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Cheap Nuttings.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:05 am 

RTJR wrote:

Saw that ... on my FANTASY @#$%ing TEAM.

Thx, Frankie, you jackass. 4 BB, 1 K - yep, we know that, don't we??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:52 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Boy, glad we ate that salary to show just how committed the FO is to winning... or something.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:14 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Boy, glad we ate that salary to show just how committed the FO is to winning... or something.

ZM

Yeah. Not sure how we are going to be able to move forward without our career .653 OPS top prospect catcher who currently ranks #16 for the Jays. Here are the current minor league reports for McGuire and Ramirez:

Quote:
16) Reese McGuire, C, Grade C+: Age 21, first round pick by the Pirates in 2013, acquired at trade deadline; hit .254/.335/.332 with 36 walks, 34 strikeouts in 319 at-bats in Double-A; controls zone well but lack of power makes him a weak offensive performer with little sign that will change anytime soon; renowned for defensive ability; glove will get him to the majors but without more hitting he profiles as a glove-only reserve; he is still quite young at only 21 so it may yet happen but probably not until everyone has given up. ETA 2018.

17) Harold Ramirez, OF, Grade C+: Age 21, signed by Pirates out of Colombia in 2011; came over at the deadline; hit .311/.360/.407 with 22 walks, 66 strikeouts in 383 at-bats in Double-A; hits .300 constantly with steady line drive swing but hits few homers despite 5-10, 220-pound body; gets hurt a lot and speed, arm limit him to left field, a tough profile given his lack of home run power. ETA 2018.

Jays payed 17 million for future backups....and we got the money to sign Nova and Hudson. Pirates win this by a mile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:40 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Jays payed 17 million for future backups....and we got the money to sign Nova and Hudson. Pirates win this by a mile.

And the money to extend Freese. I don't even care that Hutchison sucks anymore. Our pitching is deep enough.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:16 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I heard Morton was throwing mid to upper nineties in spring training. Wonder where the hell that came from.

He did ok last night. 6 innings 2 earned.

Heard some of the local sports talk media talking about how the Astros were hoping Morton would be a good, dependable #3-4 starter. I had to stifle my laughter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:28 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Why? He was very good here when he was (rarely) healthy.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:36 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

My point exactly. He'll give them three excellent starts, four horrible starts and three or four decent starts and then go down with a season ending injury

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:04 pm 

Quote:

Gotta agree with this 100%. So many people jump off the deep end when a trade is made. And with our history, people are afraid to trust Management. Neil Huntington got this one right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:56 pm 

in reference to Charlie Morton:

Corsair wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

My point exactly. He'll give them three excellent starts, four horrible starts and three or four decent starts and then go down with a season ending injury

BINGO! I really liked Morton -- he has great stuff -- but you guys hit it right on the head. I wish him the best, though. :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:09 am 

ronevensen wrote:
How about this one? Gorkys Hernandez, starting for injured Denard Span, went 2-5 with 4 rbi in the Giants' opening day victory over the D-Backs. Didn't even know he was still in the majors. He is best remembered by Pirate fans for being acquired from the Braves along with Jeff Locke and Charlie Morton for the immortal Nate McLouth in 2009. McLouth was quite popular at the time, so the trade wasn't well received by some, but the Buccos definitely got the best of that one. Gorkys didn't contribute much, but Locke and Morton had their moments. By the way, Morton is starting for the Astros tonight against the Mariners.

Well, I guess Gorkys came back to earth after his big opening day performance. In the next four games, he went 0-14. Span returned today and Gorkys is back on the bench where he belongs. But as with Morton, I wish him well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:51 am 

Well Liriano's eye-popping spring stats aren't so impressive now. He always did have a tendancy to melt down, but this was spectacular. It's going to be interesting to see how he does from here.

I never thought McGuire, Ramirez, or Hutchison were going to amount to anything, and I don't think Neil did either, so the trade was all about Liriano and the money he was owed.

I thought there was a decent chance Liriano would return to being a good pitcher. But then again there's a decent chance he won't.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:56 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Well Liriano's eye-popping spring stats aren't so impressive now. He always did have a tendancy to melt down, but this was spectacular. It's going to be interesting to see how he does from here.

I never thought McGuire, Ramirez, or Hutchison were going to amount to anything, and I don't think Neil did either, so the trade was all about Liriano and the money he was owed.

I thought there was a decent chance Liriano would return to being a good pitcher. But then again there's a decent chance he won't.

McGuire will end up being Chris Stewart at best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:30 pm 

rellimie wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

McGuire will end up being Chris Stewart at best.

Since you are so good at predicting the future(of a 21 year old prospect) maybe you could give me the winning lottery numbers for this week.