Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should We Stick a Fork in Veal?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:17 pm 

So far in 12 innings, only 4 hits allowed. That's where the good news ends. Thirteen walks and 3 hit batsmen. We can't hide him. And if Ohman is signed, I say we should offer him back. Maybe we'll get lucky and they won't want him, a la Evan Meek. Same with Hansen. DFA him. We can't afford to have people who won't throw strikes.

Post subject: Re: Should We Stick a Fork in Veal?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:38 pm 

I'd offer him back/work a trade. Hellooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:13 pm 

Nobody would trade for him.We either stick with him or drop him.If anything our Triple-A bullpen could use some help.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Nobody would trade for him.We either stick with him or drop him.If anything our Triple-A bullpen could use some help.

I think he meant offer Veal back to the Cubs and then trade to acquire him, like we did with Meek.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:05 pm 

I think if they really like him and think he has a future then you stick with him and deal with it. After all, where are the Pirates going this year?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I think if they really like him and think he has a future then you stick with him and deal with it. After all, where are the Pirates going this year?

Bingo. And its not as if your other options (Burnett, Yates, Hansen, etc etc) are established strike-throwers. Donnie Veal and Craig Hansen both have very high ceilings. Its worth a handful of blown games this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:07 am 

BBF wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

Bingo. And its not as if your other options (Burnett, Yates, Hansen, etc etc) are established strike-throwers. Donnie Veal and Craig Hansen both have very high ceilings. Its worth a handful of blown games this year.

I think Hansen's ceiling is especially high. In addition to adjusting his mechanics with his college coach, in reading some accounts from him, it appears he has adjusted his psychology. I'm hoping for big things from the young man.

Veal, I like what I've read but I'm on the fence about keeping him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:15 am 

Zane41 wrote:
BBF wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:

I think Hansen's ceiling is especially high. In addition to adjusting his mechanics with his college coach, in reading some accounts from him, it appears he has adjusted his psychology. I'm hoping for big things from the young man.

Veal, I like what I've read but I'm on the fence about keeping him.

Yeah i know what you mean.I want to see him get released but it is like i am stuck on a barbed wire fence.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:28 pm 

The walks will kill us...and we don't need any more help killing us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:52 pm 

I was just wondering something about Veal. I know we can't release him or option him down to the minors but if we aren't going to use him can't the Pirates place him on the DL to open up a roster spot?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:56 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I was just wondering something about Veal. I know we can't release him or option him down to the minors but if we aren't going to use him can't the Pirates place him on the DL to open up a roster spot?

He would have to have an injury. Or, and "injury". But he would have to agree to go on the DL. If the Pirates insisted he was injured and put him on the DL when he knew he wasn't, he could file a grievance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:04 pm 

Colin21 wrote:

He has to be injured first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:11 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

What made me think of it is the Yankees are close to placing Chien Ming Wang on the DL and calling up Phil Hughes. Wang isn't hurt really, they just want to work on his mechanics but they are going to make up an injury so they can put him on the DL.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:27 pm 

While neither is at all impressive in this years relieving group, who exactly is pushing for a spot on the 25 man team. Maybe Meek but there is no immediate rush to make that happen. The right thing here is to let it be as is for a while and let someone develop into the keeper and then decide. Maybe by All=Star break, maybe by the end of the season.

NO HURRY BE HAPPY!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:17 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
While neither is at all impressive in this years relieving group, who exactly is pushing for a spot on the 25 man team. Maybe Meek but there is no immediate rush to make that happen. The right thing here is to let it be as is for a while and let someone develop into the keeper and then decide. Maybe by All=Star break, maybe by the end of the season.

NO HURRY BE HAPPY!!

Precisely. There will always be mop-up innings for him. As long as we don't get into a position where he has to pitch critical innings because the pen is overworked, its not hurting anything to have him as the 12th pitcher. If it gets to that point, we can make a move then.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:12 am 

Substitute2 wrote:

NO HURRY BE HAPPY!!

I guess you are right about that. Nobody is really lighting it up in Triple-A right now but i was thinking more along the lines of another hitter and going back to an 11 pitcher set up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:35 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

What made me think of it is the Yankees are close to placing Chien Ming Wang on the DL and calling up Phil Hughes. Wang isn't hurt really, they just want to work on his mechanics but they are going to make up an injury so they can put him on the DL.

And if the Yankees did do that, the Players Union would have a field day with fraud charges.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:21 am 

This is from Yahoo. It sounds to me like thats what the Yankees plan to do.
Fri, Apr 24
Wang (arm strength) gave up five runs -- four earned -- on nine hits over seven innings in his extended spring training outing on Thursday, the NY Daily News reports.
Recommendation: He threw 91 pitches, while Wang's velocity was hovering in the low 90-mph range. Even though he struck out 11 and did not walk a batter, Wang seems to be lacking arm strength according to pitching coordinator Nardi Contreras. Wang was once again hit when he left his sinker up in the zone, so it seems like a trip to the DL could be in order to provide him with some time to regain his arm strength.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:21 am 

Well it did happen the Yankees placed Chien-Ming Wang on the DL with "Hip abductor muscle weakness" so Phil Hughes can get the start. So i think Veal should either get some game action or he should also be put on the DL with a fake injury so we can get an extra arm that could help us like Denny Bautista, Juan Mateo, or Romulo Sanchez, and out of those 3 i think i would have to pick Juan Mateo. He has been lights out in Triple-A and he is already 27 and has only been given one shot at the major league level by the best of my knowledge with the Cubs in 2006 and he pitched 5 innings and got the win. His attitude is his only problem but i think he is worth a shot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:43 am 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Couldn't that be arranged? :twisted: