Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates make offer to Ohman
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:00 pm 

Quote:
Ohman, a 31-year-old left-hander, is coming off a career year with the Atlanta Braves, posting a 3.68 ERA in 83 appearances.

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington has made known his dissatisfaction with the bullpen this spring, and Ohman likely represents his best option to add without giving up anything in a trade.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09085/958615-100.stm

Post subject: Re: Pirates make offer to Ohman
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:06 am 

This is clearly a shot across the bow to Sean Burnett. I just do not think that Ohman is better than Burnett.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 am 

We had a topic on Will Ohman when the rumors first started that the Pirates were interested in it.It was a good topic to.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:02 am 

It seems the team still has some room in the budget, so I'm OK with signing Ohman.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:06 am 

Zane41 wrote:
It seems the team still has some room in the budget, so I'm OK with signing Ohman.

I like Burnett alot and i don't want to see him get hurt my this signing.But i don't disagree with it.I think we could throw an offer out to Pedro Martinez because reports says he asking price is between 1 and 2 million.But i don't exspect that after we flopped on getting Abreu.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:09 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:

I like Burnett alot and i don't want to see him get hurt my this signing.But i don't disagree with it.I think we could throw an offer out to Pedro Martinez because reports says he asking price is between 1 and 2 million.But i don't exspect that after we flopped on getting Abreu.

If the Pirats could actually sign Pedro Martinez for $1-$2 million, I really hope they do so. His presence could help the team in many ways.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:20 am 

Zane41 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:

If the Pirats could actually sign Pedro Martinez for $1-$2 million, I really hope they do so. His presence could help the team in many ways.

Here are some reports.
free-agent SP Pedro Martinez (Mets) is reaching out to clubs as he tries to latch onto a team for the 2009 season, but has found little interest. The Kansas City Royals were one of the teams Martinez contacted, and they turned him down because they were unable to afford him.
Ken Rosenthal, of FOXSports.com, reports the Los Angeles Dodgers would be interested in signing free-agent SP Pedro Martinez (Mets) if he were to lower his price to the $1 million to $2 million range.

No interest from the Royals? I think the Pirates have a chance if they want to throw $3 million for 1-year or $5 for 2-years.But we would rather throw some money at Will Ohman who would more than likely either be in the minors or out of the league if we dont sign him.