Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

He is really struggling this spring. I know to take Spring Training with a grain of salt but I wonder if keeping him in AAA and having McCutchen start the year in Pittsburgh as entered the minds of Bucco management. I'm not saying I'd do this...I don't know what I'd do, but it has to be a concern having Morgan struggle.

7:00 PM

Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:22 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
He is really struggling this spring. I know to take Spring Training with a grain of salt but I wonder if keeping him in AAA and having McCutchen start the year in Pittsburgh as entered the minds of Bucco management. I'm not saying I'd do this...I don't know what I'd do, but it has to be a concern having Morgan struggle.

I might agree that Morgan should be in Triple-A but i don't think McCutchen should be up yet because sitting on the bench getting an at bat here and there isn't what he needs at this point.He needs a good year in Triple-A as a star player so he can be a big leaguer next season and maybe a September call up this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 pm 

I'll say it again: Keep Salazar, option Morgan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:24 pm 

Willton wrote:

The Pirates are clearly thinking along these lines. The way Salazar has hit, and the way Morgan has failed to hit, makes that likely, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:00 pm 

Didn't think much of him anyway. No soup for him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 pm 

I think Salazar has more value to the team as of right now but i don't think the Pirates will choose him over Morgan for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:

There is no chance that McCutcheon starts the season with the Bucs, barring about four injuries to outfielders.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:11 am 

sisyphus wrote:
There is no chance that McCutcheon starts the season with the Bucs, barring about four injuries to outfielders.

I tend to agree with you, Sisyphus. But do you have any knowledge as to how his circumstance differs from Walker and Tabata? i.e., why is he still in the big league camp while they were sent down? This was raised in another thread by BBF. The stated concern for Walker and Tabata was that if they were injured while still in the major league camp, they would be placed on the 25 man IR for the beginning of the season and as a result, start their arbitration and free agency clocks. Would this not also be the case with McCutcheon? If it is, what possible reason could club management have for taking this risk other than that they were still considering him for the opening day roster?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

I tend to agree with you, Sisyphus. But do you have any knowledge as to how his circumstance differs from Walker and Tabata? i.e., why is he still in the big league camp while they were sent down? This was raised in another thread by BBF. The stated concern for Walker and Tabata was that if they were injured while still in the major league camp, they would be placed on the 25 man IR for the beginning of the season and as a result, start their arbitration and free agency clocks. Would this not also be the case with McCutcheon? If it is, what possible reason could club management have for taking this risk other than that they were still considering him for the opening day roster?

That I don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:11 am 

If this happens, I'd like to see a Hinske/Monroe platoon in the outfield until McCutchen is called up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:13 am 

Zane41 wrote:
If this happens, I'd like to see a Hinske/Monroe platoon in the outfield until McCutchen is called up.

Everybody hated on me when i said Monroe was a good signing and they called him a bum.My my how times change around here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:55 am 

Willton wrote:

Stats wise Garrett Jones has had the better spring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:59 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:

Everybody hated on me when i said Monroe was a good signing and they called him a bum.My my how times change around here.

I still think he's a below average ball player.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:54 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:

Not here they haven't. I still have no desire to see Monroe. A couple of wind-aided homeruns hit early in spring training when hitters are ahead of the pitchers anyways won't change that. Has he hit one out since the 3 homer day several weeks ago? I admit he'll likely come north with the club, but if he hits even .240 I'll be surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BBF wrote:
...Not here they haven't. I still have no desire to see Monroe. A couple of wind-aided homeruns hit early in spring training when hitters are ahead of the pitchers anyways won't change that. Has he hit one out since the 3 homer day several weeks ago? I admit he'll likely come north with the club, but if he hits even .240 I'll be surprised.

Spring is supposed to be a time of optimism, BBF. Optimism.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 pm 

He may well not pan out, but with the spring he's had, I sure think he has earned a shot with the 25 man team. If not others can have their chance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:46 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
BBF wrote:
...Not here they haven't. I still have no desire to see Monroe. A couple of wind-aided homeruns hit early in spring training when hitters are ahead of the pitchers anyways won't change that. Has he hit one out since the 3 homer day several weeks ago? I admit he'll likely come north with the club, but if he hits even .240 I'll be surprised.

Spring is supposed to be a time of optimism, BBF. Optimism.

ZM

Yeah spring is when we are susposed to think we are going to get over the .500% mark.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:56 pm 

omgardd wrote:
Willton wrote:

Stats wise Garrett Jones has had the better spring.

You beat me to this one.He hasn't even been brought into the conversation.Salazar doesn't have much of an upside, Morgan stinks, and McCutchen won't be 23 until October so i think he could use another year in the minors because i don't exspect to go very far this season.Even though Jones is a first baseman i think he might be a good option to send down those 3 outfielders and keep him up.He will be 28 in June and i think its a make or break time for him.Plus i was at the game in 2007 when he got his first major league hit against the Indians.But he hasn't been given much of a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:41 pm 

Yup. If I'm Russell, my opening day bench is Monroe/Hinske platoon, Diaz (should've gotten the nod over Jaramillo), Garrett Jones, Bixler and Vazquez.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:56 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:

Monroe is still a bum. Spring training performance does not mean jack.