Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4983
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
He is really struggling this spring. I know to take Spring Training with a grain of salt but I wonder if keeping him in AAA and having McCutchen start the year in Pittsburgh as entered the minds of Bucco management. I'm not saying I'd do this...I don't know what I'd do, but it has to be a concern having Morgan struggle.

_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (2-4) at Texas Longhorns (2-4)
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
October 18, 2014
7:00 PM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
IA Pirate wrote:
He is really struggling this spring. I know to take Spring Training with a grain of salt but I wonder if keeping him in AAA and having McCutchen start the year in Pittsburgh as entered the minds of Bucco management. I'm not saying I'd do this...I don't know what I'd do, but it has to be a concern having Morgan struggle.


I might agree that Morgan should be in Triple-A but i don't think McCutchen should be up yet because sitting on the bench getting an at bat here and there isn't what he needs at this point.He needs a good year in Triple-A as a star player so he can be a big leaguer next season and maybe a September call up this year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
I'll say it again: Keep Salazar, option Morgan.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10721
Willton wrote:
I'll say it again: Keep Salazar, option Morgan.


The Pirates are clearly thinking along these lines. The way Salazar has hit, and the way Morgan has failed to hit, makes that likely, I believe.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Didn't think much of him anyway. No soup for him.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
I think Salazar has more value to the team as of right now but i don't think the Pirates will choose him over Morgan for some reason.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5420
Location: Pittsburgh
IA Pirate wrote:
He is really struggling this spring. I know to take Spring Training with a grain of salt but I wonder if keeping him in AAA and having McCutchen start the year in Pittsburgh as entered the minds of Bucco management. I'm not saying I'd do this...I don't know what I'd do, but it has to be a concern having Morgan struggle.

There is no chance that McCutcheon starts the season with the Bucs, barring about four injuries to outfielders.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1330
sisyphus wrote:
There is no chance that McCutcheon starts the season with the Bucs, barring about four injuries to outfielders.


I tend to agree with you, Sisyphus. But do you have any knowledge as to how his circumstance differs from Walker and Tabata? i.e., why is he still in the big league camp while they were sent down? This was raised in another thread by BBF. The stated concern for Walker and Tabata was that if they were injured while still in the major league camp, they would be placed on the 25 man IR for the beginning of the season and as a result, start their arbitration and free agency clocks. Would this not also be the case with McCutcheon? If it is, what possible reason could club management have for taking this risk other than that they were still considering him for the opening day roster?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5420
Location: Pittsburgh
burghermeister wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
There is no chance that McCutcheon starts the season with the Bucs, barring about four injuries to outfielders.


I tend to agree with you, Sisyphus. But do you have any knowledge as to how his circumstance differs from Walker and Tabata? i.e., why is he still in the big league camp while they were sent down? This was raised in another thread by BBF. The stated concern for Walker and Tabata was that if they were injured while still in the major league camp, they would be placed on the 25 man IR for the beginning of the season and as a result, start their arbitration and free agency clocks. Would this not also be the case with McCutcheon? If it is, what possible reason could club management have for taking this risk other than that they were still considering him for the opening day roster?

That I don't know.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:11 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 am
Posts: 105
If this happens, I'd like to see a Hinske/Monroe platoon in the outfield until McCutchen is called up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Zane41 wrote:
If this happens, I'd like to see a Hinske/Monroe platoon in the outfield until McCutchen is called up.


Everybody hated on me when i said Monroe was a good signing and they called him a bum.My my how times change around here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 am
Posts: 391
Willton wrote:
I'll say it again: Keep Salazar, option Morgan.


Stats wise Garrett Jones has had the better spring.

_________________
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?"-- UPPMB


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:59 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:
If this happens, I'd like to see a Hinske/Monroe platoon in the outfield until McCutchen is called up.


Everybody hated on me when i said Monroe was a good signing and they called him a bum.My my how times change around here.


I still think he's a below average ball player.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:54 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:
If this happens, I'd like to see a Hinske/Monroe platoon in the outfield until McCutchen is called up.


Everybody hated on me when i said Monroe was a good signing and they called him a bum.My my how times change around here.


Not here they haven't. I still have no desire to see Monroe. A couple of wind-aided homeruns hit early in spring training when hitters are ahead of the pitchers anyways won't change that. Has he hit one out since the 3 homer day several weeks ago? I admit he'll likely come north with the club, but if he hits even .240 I'll be surprised.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
BBF wrote:
...Not here they haven't. I still have no desire to see Monroe. A couple of wind-aided homeruns hit early in spring training when hitters are ahead of the pitchers anyways won't change that. Has he hit one out since the 3 homer day several weeks ago? I admit he'll likely come north with the club, but if he hits even .240 I'll be surprised.


Spring is supposed to be a time of optimism, BBF. Optimism.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
He may well not pan out, but with the spring he's had, I sure think he has earned a shot with the 25 man team. If not others can have their chance

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
ZelieMike wrote:
BBF wrote:
...Not here they haven't. I still have no desire to see Monroe. A couple of wind-aided homeruns hit early in spring training when hitters are ahead of the pitchers anyways won't change that. Has he hit one out since the 3 homer day several weeks ago? I admit he'll likely come north with the club, but if he hits even .240 I'll be surprised.


Spring is supposed to be a time of optimism, BBF. Optimism.

ZM


Yeah spring is when we are susposed to think we are going to get over the .500% mark.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
omgardd wrote:
Willton wrote:
I'll say it again: Keep Salazar, option Morgan.


Stats wise Garrett Jones has had the better spring.


You beat me to this one.He hasn't even been brought into the conversation.Salazar doesn't have much of an upside, Morgan stinks, and McCutchen won't be 23 until October so i think he could use another year in the minors because i don't exspect to go very far this season.Even though Jones is a first baseman i think he might be a good option to send down those 3 outfielders and keep him up.He will be 28 in June and i think its a make or break time for him.Plus i was at the game in 2007 when he got his first major league hit against the Indians.But he hasn't been given much of a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 am
Posts: 391
Yup. If I'm Russell, my opening day bench is Monroe/Hinske platoon, Diaz (should've gotten the nod over Jaramillo), Garrett Jones, Bixler and Vazquez.

_________________
"What other businesses do you expect to lose money for your entertainment?"-- UPPMB


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Morgan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Colin21 wrote:
Zane41 wrote:
If this happens, I'd like to see a Hinske/Monroe platoon in the outfield until McCutchen is called up.


Everybody hated on me when i said Monroe was a good signing and they called him a bum.My my how times change around here.

Monroe is still a bum. Spring training performance does not mean jack.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits