All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rays at Pirates 3/23/09
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:34 pm 

Duke cruises through the first.

Morgan walks steals 2nd
McCutchen walks
Vazquez Ks
Adam LaRoche Ks
Morgan picked off sleeping between 2nd and 3rd. Wehner going off on him.

0-0 after 1.

Duke cruises through 2nd

Hinske triple
Moss shortens up pushes ball up right side, Hinske scores
Wilson doubles
Jaramillo fouled out
Duke doubles home Wilson. Perhaps he can play first in between starts?
Morgan fouls out

2-0 Bucs after 2

Duke gives up broken bat single. Picks off runner. Easy inning

McCutchen walks again on 3-2 count. An on base machine in the making?
Hit and run on Vazquez hits behind Cutch for the out. Cutch to 2nd
LaDouche pops out
Hinske singles hard Cutch thrown out at home on perfect throw
If LaRoche would have moved McCutchen over to third.......

2-0 Bucs after 3

Duke throws a 3-2 back door hook to get Aybar swinging with no outs and runner on 1st! That's confidence. Walks next batter on a 3-2 count, go figure. Burrell caught looking. Joyce gounds out to 2b.

Hammel still pitching
Moss walks
Wilson doubles Moss to 3rd with an assist from the sloth like Pat Burrell
Jaramillo gounds out to SS, Wilson to 3rd, Moss scores
Duke gounds out to 1b, Wilson stays put
Error on 1b, Wilson scores, Morgan to 1b. Actually scored a hit.
Morgan steals 2b
McCutchen fouls off a few 3-2 pitches and surprise, surprise, walks!
Vazquez grounds into force out at 3rd

4-0 Bucs after 4

Duke is cruising. Got the curve working. Changing speeds, keeping ball down. 1-2-3 5th.

Cormier in for Hammell (4IP; 6H; 4ER; 5BB; 2K)
Adam LaRoche doubles
Hinske soft line out to 2nd. Adam still at 2nd
Moss grounds out to 2b, LaRoche to 3rd
Wilson walks
Jamarillo gounds out to 2nd

4-0 Bucs after 5

Veal in for Duke (5IP; 2H; 0ER; 2BB; 4K)
I'm losing steam and don't really want to play by play all the late inning subs and Veal's 6 walks. Sporadic posting to come...............

Veal 1-2-3 inning.

Bob Walk for President! Oh, and I like Wehner too, me and about four other people.

Missed the bottom of the 6th but apparently nothing happened. I see Machado is in at 3rd, Bixler at SS, etc.... A good time for me to bail.

4-0 Bucs after 6

Yates in for Veal (1IP; the rest goose eggs)

Yates continues his spring training domination (1IP; 0H; 0ER; 0BB; 1K)

Bootcheck (1IP; 2H; 1ER; 1BB; 2K) gets touched for a run

Chavez (1IP; 0H; 0ER; 0BB; 1K) closes it out for the save

4-1 Bucs final score

Pirates now 13-9 (.591)
Next game away at Atlanta tomorrow 6:05

Last edited by Argentum on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rays at Pirates 3/23/09
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:30 pm 

I think we found our board-game-updater... slight sarcastic, slightly positive and clear..

will be a long journey argentum!! :shock:

Like Duke so far.. & Hinske is coming loose..!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:44 pm 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
I think we found our board-game-updater... slight sarcastic, slightly positive and clear..

will be a long journey argentum!! :shock:

Slow day at work. I also like to keep a score card at games!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:05 pm 

man.. do i hate to live here.... ;) well for baseball and american sports it sucks to be european...

would die to be at games just when i like too... i am own boss.. so i could start my work in pittsburgh...

i think i would be exactly the same with scorecards...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:06 pm 

Three more walks for McCutchen. If my math is correct, that puts his OBP up to .394, OPS to .838. Interesting that Cutch leads the team in ABs. They're certainly giving him plenty of opportunities. You think there's any chance he goes north with club for opening day? From a dollars and cents standpoint, it would be fool-hardy but...

Also, it sure would help the cause if the new and improve Duke continues into the regular season.

Last edited by burghermeister on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:08 pm 

Nice updates, Argentum. If the Pirates get runners on at this rate in the regular season, I would be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:21 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Three more walks for McCutchen. If my math is correct, that puts his OBP up to .394, OPS to .838. Interesting that Cutch leads the team in ABs. They're certainly giving him plenty of opportunities. You think there's any chance he goes north with club for opening day? From a dollars and cents standpoint, it would be fool-hardy but...

Bucfan wrote:
If the Pirates get runners on at this rate in the regular season, I would be pleasantly surprised.

Hmmmmmm. Coincidence?

I still don't see Cutch making the team for the rea$on mentioned, but man, it will be tough seeing him toil in Indy knowing he's better than Morgan on a bad day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:26 pm 

You fail to note that the Rays are using a DH and the Bucs are letting Duke hit. Yet, not only did Duke shut down the Rays, he drove in a run with his bat. Who needs the freaking DH!!!!

Nice report. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:35 pm 

Argentum wrote:

I still don't see Cutch making the team for the rea$on mentioned, but man, it will be tough seeing him toil in Indy knowing he's better than Morgan on a bad day.

You know, I've been thinking a lot about this. Remember a couple days ago, they sent Walker down because if he got hurt and had to go on the DL, it would count against his service time? Wouldn't the same rules apply to McCutchen? If so, that suggests that perhaps the Pirates are seriously considering breaking camp with him. Further, NH has called out NyMo a few times recently, and McCutchen is indeed getting a lot of PT.

Maybe they figure the fan interest generated by bringing McCutchen up early might justify starting his clock. Also, maybe they have a feeling that if they don't jerk him around and wait for the service time clock to tick, he might be more willing to sign away his first or second free agent year similar to a few of our other young players.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:52 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:
Maybe they figure the fan interest generated by bringing McCutchen up early might justify starting his clock. Also, maybe they have a feeling that if they don't jerk him around and wait for the service time clock to tick, he might be more willing to sign away his first or second free agent year similar to a few of our other young players.

This is an excellent point. If McCutchen ends up being as good as we think he can, what are the chances of him going 6 years (3 years fixed, 3 years arbitration) anyhow? If their worried about that extra year, add an option when they buy him out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:35 pm 

This is my understanding of the rules: There are two clocks to worry about, the arbitration clock and the free agency clock. If we assume that Cutch is going to log some time with the big club this season, then in order to hold off arbitration for four years instead of three, they probably need to keep him down in AAA until around June 1 (this date fluctuates from year to year because of the "super two" rule). In order to hold off free agency for seven years instead of six, he only needs to spend opening day in the minors since six full years of major league service are required to become a free agent, no exceptions.

As much as I hate to say it, my opinion is that he should stay down at least for a few weeks and, preferably, until they are certain that he's past the "super two" deadline. I'm not sure that the good will earned with either the player or the fan base is worth losing a year of affordability or a year in a Pirate's uniform.

BM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:39 pm 

Good job, Duke (and I am not referring to the NCAA tournament). 5 very effective innings - just 2 hits, 2 walks, 4 K's and 0 runs allowed. I am encouraged by Duke's spring, if for no other reason than he is throwing strikes and logging more K's than he has been for the last several years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:05 pm 

Duke has always had confidence, from what I've seen. I remember him throwing rather gutsy pitches to the likes of Derek Lee in 2005. What Duke lacks is an out pitch, and that's probably going to hold him back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:22 pm 

Willton wrote:
What Duke lacks is an out pitch, and that's probably going to hold him back.

In 2005, his out pitch was the curve ball. Last year, the same discussion came up and some, me included, wondered why Duke was not using the curve as his out pitch, since it remains a good pitch.

Duke gives up too many HR's right now, but most of those are the thigh-high fastball. I believe that if he can command the strike zone with the 2-seam, locate that curve as a K pitch, and mix in his change, he will be a solid starter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:08 pm 

Agree that he is probably not this good. But let's be pleased and hope he can continue.

Thanks---

Argentum, for the enjoyable update of the game.
Burgurmeister, for that explanation (thinbk you did that last year as well didn't you?)