Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A question for all the Rotunda Viewers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:16 pm 

I posted this under the board update but i didn't any feedback on it there.Got alot of views but no feedback so i thought i would post it as a topic just go see what everyones opinion in it is.
Its a question mostly for the ones that run the board but i would like to see if any of the daily poster agree with me.
This is just a suggestion.It might be stupid, it might not be doable, but i was thinking instead of it just being the Rotunda for Pirate news and MLB news there could be a section added on the index page for MLB news.Alot of news from around baseball goes by unmentioned and i think it is because people don't want to clutter up the Rotunda with it.
Just wanted to see what your opinions on this were.Thanks!

Post subject: Re: A question for all the Rotunda Viewers
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:07 pm 

In my view, the purpose of a message board is to allow conversations to happen about topics in which members have an interest. Hence, posting news pieces is only worthwhile if members of the board want to engage in a conversation about said news pieces. Having a constantly updated news feed does not serve that purpose, especially if its news that no member of this board cares to talk about.

If you just want to know more about MLB news, you could check MLB.com, ESPN.com, the PG's website, or any other news site that posts such information. Having this board regurgitate that information in a separate feed is a waste of time and space, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:44 pm 

Willton wrote:
In my view, the purpose of a message board is to allow conversations to happen about topics in which members have an interest. Hence, posting news pieces is only worthwhile if members of the board want to engage in a conversation about said news pieces. Having a constantly updated news feed does not serve that purpose, especially if its news that no member of this board cares to talk about.

If you just want to know more about MLB news, you could check MLB.com, ESPN.com, the PG's website, or any other news site that posts such information. Having this board regurgitate that information in a separate feed is a waste of time and space, in my opinion.

I guess i am on an island on this one.But i still feel there is alot of news that is important that would bring up good conversations that goes by the wayside.I mean i look at all those sites and even others than the ones you mentioned but i think it would be great to be able to bring all the news together in one place.My closest comparison i can come up with for this is how me and my girlfriend agrue all the time about how she loves watching Steeler games but hates watching anybody else play.I just have never unstood that.I've always been a fan of the sport.Yes the Steelers are my team, the same the Pirates are but i also care alot about other NFL teams and the news they have along with other MLB teams and the news they have.I like to be up to date.But i guess most around here are like my girlfriend and only care about the Pirates and not baseball.But i also think there is alot of news that is out there that MLB.com and ESPN.com don't have the space to mention that are important to the baseball.I know also playing fantasy sports that i like knowing all the news i can get.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:10 pm 

We most certainly care about baseball in general. What we don't care about is stuff that's not newsworthy. I don't know about the rest of us here, but I certainly don't care about hearing who the Braves signed to fill out their bench or who the Mariners are cutting during spring training. If you think that a certain piece of non-Pirate baseball news is worth posting for the sake of starting a conversation, then post it. That has been done numerous times here. What I object to is the inclusion of ALL baseball-related news.

If you want to know more about baseball-related news, then by all means go do it on your own. I just don't see much of a reason to include this board in that venture. The reason people come to this board is for the express purpose of talking about the Pirates. The board should maintain that focus for that reason.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:30 pm 

Willton wrote:
We most certainly care about baseball in general. What we don't care about is stuff that's not newsworthy. I don't know about the rest of us here, but I certainly don't care about hearing who the Braves signed to fill out their bench or who the Mariners are cutting during spring training. If you think that a certain piece of non-Pirate baseball news is worth posting for the sake of starting a conversation, then post it. That has been done numerous times here. What I object to is the inclusion of ALL baseball-related news.

If you want to know more about baseball-related news, then by all means go do it on your own. I just don't see much of a reason to include this board in that venture. The reason people come to this board is for the express purpose of talking about the Pirates. The board should maintain that focus for that reason.

I copied what the Rotunda adverises on the index page.
"Talk Pittsburgh Pirates baseball with fans from around the world. Discuss major league and minor league baseball as well."
That sounds to me like its for all of baseball.I just feel that during the season there is plenty of Pirate news to talk about and even this time of year but we lost alot of viewers and posters(alot of good posters, Ollie comes to mind) from November to January and even some of october to February because there were not many topics being discussed.I just wonder if the board will get those posters back or if they went elsewhere because this board seems to be dead for 3 months out of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:49 pm 

colin....I see the difference here being "discussing MLB news" vs. posting news releases, etc. that can be found elsewhere. As Wilton said, posting a story for the purpose of following up with a conversation seems very appropriate to me....especially if it has some relevence to the Pirates (i.e.-trade talk about a player the Pirates were trying to get).

It's the difference between just passing on news and discussing news.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:42 am 

bradf wrote:
colin....I see the difference here being "discussing MLB news" vs. posting news releases, etc. that can be found elsewhere. As Wilton said, posting a story for the purpose of following up with a conversation seems very appropriate to me....especially if it has some relevence to the Pirates (i.e.-trade talk about a player the Pirates were trying to get).

It's the difference between just passing on news and discussing news.

Yeah i think everybody was thinking i was talking about just posting everything like i do for football.Thats not what i meant.I meant there are alot of bigger name signings or injury news that doesn't get mentioned that could be discussed that doesn't just involve the Pirates.I think what i am talking about might be better for the fantasy forum since it might have more of a value to somebody fantasy team than it would to the Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 pm 

I kind of agree with Colin. We have the Rotunda for discussion of the Pirates, and Other Sports for non-baseball, but nothing for non-Pirates MLB discussion.

Maybe just change the title and description of the Fantasy index to include that purpose.

Personally I come here for Pirates discussion, but when I was younger I followed the entire National League.