Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sad News
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:12 pm 

Very sad news out of Pittsburgh. Pirates long-time organist Vince Lascheid passed away today. He was the organist at Three Rivers Stadium and PNC Park for more than 38 years.

Pirates President Frank Coonelly said that the Pirates will not hire another organist instead..they will use Mr. Lascheid's talents through digital recordings..

RIP Vince..

Post subject: Re: Sad News
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:20 pm 

How many times have you heard the words, "And for your between periods entertainment, we give you Vince Lascheid on the arena organ." ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 pm 

I loved how he would play "The Doors" when Jim Morrison would come to bat back in the 80's, there were many other istances like that I wish I could remember them all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:58 pm 

When Tim Foli came to bat was the best. Vince broke into the old hymn, "Foli, Foli, Foli."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:19 pm 

That is sad news.

I recently finished watching the '79 world series on DVD and Lascheid's playing throughout the games at 3R was terrifically inventive. He even played little intro blurbs for the O's players — "Flight of the Bumblebee" for Al Bumbry, "One (...singular sensation)" from A Chorus Line for Ken Singleton, etc. — which was a purely classy touch.

RIP.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:52 pm 

Rest in Peace, Vince. Heaven just gained the most talented and witty organist out there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:36 pm 

Not being a Pittsburgh resident, I did not have the chance to enjoy his renditions. Nonetheless, I was aware of his creativity due to articles in the PPG and one in Sports Illustrated, if I recall correctly.

The SI article was a recapitulation of the 1979 Series and noted that during the Series, Vince played "Tie a Yellow (Ayala) Ribbon" for the Orioles' Benny Ayala.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:12 pm 

I'm very saddened about Vince Lascheid passing away. His music made us all smile. We will miss you Vince! :( Your music will live on...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm 

Although I understand his music will live on at PNC Park via recordings, it won't be the same knowing he's gone. My earliest memories of Pirate ballgames include the smell of cigar smoke and the music of Vince LeSchied (pardon my spelling, Vince).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:54 pm 

Hard to believe an organist was a big part of my childhood.

A funny story. My grandfather took me to my first NHL/Pens game in 1981? It was the playoffs against the Islanders. The Pens got killed the first two games, so the ownership for the team offered to refund tickets. We decided to go anyway and the Pens won in OT and went on to force a Game Five in which they had a two-goal lead only to squander it and let the Isles advance. They went on to win the Cup.

We both enjoyed the game, but my Pap couldn't get past how loud the organ was (we were in the C Section right near the speakers) and how much of a headache he had from it. I will always remember that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:54 am 

I'm ashamed to admit that my first thought with an eye roll was that the Pirates will save some money by using recordings rather than pay the salary of another organist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:07 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
I'm ashamed to admit that my first thought with an eye roll was that the Pirates will save some money by using recordings rather than pay the salary of another organist.

Thats mean even though i already thought they switched over to recording.I go to about 10 games a year and i don't remember hearing an organ besides when they play it for when the bases are loaded.Could someone inform me on what i will not be hearing this year now that we are without an organist.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:08 am 

If the Bucs are in the market for a new organist my grandma plays a mean organ for our church choir.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:52 am 

Colin21 wrote:

Thats mean even though i already thought they switched over to recording.I go to about 10 games a year and i don't remember hearing an organ besides when they play it for when the bases are loaded.Could someone inform me on what i will not be hearing this year now that we are without an organist.

Colin, the organ played all the time at PNC Park. All the time. You are right though that recently they have switched to more pop music before a player comes to bat (at least for the Pirates), but Lascheid usually played before each visiting batter, played quite a bit in the time between BP and the National Anthem, the 7th inning stretch, and of course all of the "Charge", "Let's Go Bucs", and other chants. I remember my first trip to the Jake in Cleveland, and was appalled that they didn't play an organ. Back then (Geez, 10 years ago now?), I believe Lascheid was the only music at Pirate games.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:19 pm 

BBF wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Colin, the organ played all the time at PNC Park. All the time. You are right though that recently they have switched to more pop music before a player comes to bat (at least for the Pirates), but Lascheid usually played before each visiting batter, played quite a bit in the time between BP and the National Anthem, the 7th inning stretch, and of course all of the "Charge", "Let's Go Bucs", and other chants. I remember my first trip to the Jake in Cleveland, and was appalled that they didn't play an organ. Back then (Geez, 10 years ago now?), I believe Lascheid was the only music at Pirate games.

Well i never knew that.The first game i can remember going to was in the 1991 season.I guess i never realized the organist played that much.I thought it was recording based for years now