Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gorzo Optioned to Minors, make Veal a candidate for No.5
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:08 pm 

palushock wrote:
Looking at their early schedule, they won't need a 5th starter until the 2nd week of the season.

Actually, they have eight games the first eight days. They have an off-day after their home opener. The Cards series is a 4-game and Reds a 3-game.

Post subject: Re: Gorzo Optioned to Minors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:12 pm 

He needs to learn to finish hitters off...even his good year 2 years ago he'd get ahead 1-2 or 0-2 then throw 5 or 6 more pitches to get the batter out...then would only go 5 2/3 or 6 innings a game...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:13 pm 

I agree the Gorzo needs to go down and try to find himself. If he does, he's be quickly back, if not....

It is about accountability, and NH and JR are staying true to their position. I admire that.

One pont of disagreement is the implication that there is a character flaw causing his demotion. He has always demonstrated the best in a Pirate player. He is likeable and I think humble. IMO- it's just a matter of not throwing strikes. And while I also like Duke the person, his staying while Gorzo goes, is a matter of pereformance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:14 pm 

Veal is probably not the answer, but they should look at him for longer innings.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

To me, its obvious that the Pirates should add 3 extra pitchers to the 25-man roster and every fifth day, have 4-5 pitchers go out and throw two innings each. If it's worked for the spring, why couldn't it work for the regular season?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:17 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
To me, its obvious that the Pirates should add 3 extra pitchers to the 25-man roster and every fifth day, have 4-5 pitchers go out and throw two innings each. If it's worked for the spring, why couldn't it work for the regular season?

(1) The team does not have to worry about extra innings in the spring. It does during the regular season.
(2) Your plan assumes that every other starting pitcher would pitch well into the 6th inning or later each start. That does not happen in practice.
(3) Having extra pitchers = having fewer bench players. Pinch hitting and defensive substitutions would become a real nightmare if we had as many pitchers as you propose, unless you figure those extra pitchers would also be good at hitting and playing the field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:30 pm 

Willton wrote:
unless you figure those extra pitchers would also be good at hitting and playing the field.

What difference would that make? None of our hitters fit that description :o .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:06 pm 

This news qualifies - at least for me - as the first big disappointment of the Spring. Not that I disagree with the decision; indeed, his performance thus far hardly provided any justification to make the Big Club. I was hoping (probably more accurately to say "expecting") Gorzo to have a bounce back year. The fact that he has not responding is - to say the least - extremely disappointing.

Maholm can be a No. 1 or a No. 2 pitcher.
Snell can be a No. 2 or a No. 3 pitcher.
Duke can be a No. 3 or a No. 4 pitcher.
I was hoping that Gorzo could rebound to be as good as a No. 4.
After that, Ohlendorf appears to be decent enough to be a No. 5 at a minimum.

That rotation above can pitch well enough to keep the Pirates in games if they get an average amount of offense (huge "IF").

Now that it looks like Karstens will be in the rotation (I don't see Vasquez as being the choice), I am less enthused about the rotation's possibilities.

I'm hoping that, by the time that Indy first comes to play in Des Moines, that Gorzo will have earned his way back to the Show and that I won't ahve the chance to see him. It will bode well for the black and gold if that is the case.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:22 am 

Theres still a chance for him to bounce back and have a good year, once he learns to throw strikes and finish off hitters without high pitch counts

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 am 

Gorzo, Snell, Ollie, Kip Wells, Duke. Why can't we get anyone to have more than 1 good year? Gotta keep the fingers crossed for Maholm this year, though everything he's shown says he'll keep getting better. But, I thought the same of Snell last year, too.

The only possible good thought I can come up with about Gorzelanny is that he stunk in Spring Training in his 1 good year, too. IIRC, he was lucky to make the rotation that year, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:12 am 
 WWW  Profile

Willton wrote:
cappscrew138 wrote:

(1) The team does not have to worry about extra innings in the spring. It does during the regular season.
(2) Your plan assumes that every other starting pitcher would pitch well into the 6th inning or later each start. That does not happen in practice.
(3) Having extra pitchers = having fewer bench players. Pinch hitting and defensive substitutions would become a real nightmare if we had as many pitchers as you propose, unless you figure those extra pitchers would also be good at hitting and playing the field.

That didn't take long for someone to take me seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 am 

cappscrew138 wrote:

Should I stop doing so?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:11 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I laughed my ass off, then I realized he is serious.

I just giggled then.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:59 am 
 WWW  Profile

Willton wrote:
cappscrew138 wrote:

Should I stop doing so?

It was just a lame attempt to poke fun of the success that the Pirates have been having during ST.

I tend to forget that tone can be hard to judge when in typed form.