Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MR MONROE just doing very fine!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:02 pm 

I am watching the box and 2 homers by craig monroe.. WE NEED A CRAIG on or TEAM!!

i am impressed, even if it's ST.... right field is becoming a nice battle (double by pearce as well)

Vs Scott Baker, Who had an very decent 11-4 3.45 2008 season..

and 4 homers already in this game.. Doumit & Nate as well..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: MR MONROE just doing very fine!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:35 pm 

...and Vasquez was very sharp as well. He is pushing himself into the rotation .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:54 pm 

bradf wrote:
...and Vasquez was very sharp as well. He is pushing himself into the rotation .

His line looks good, but the Twins aren't exactly fielding a big league lineup this afternoon either. But hey, if Gorzo and Karstens keep up their poor work, who knows....would certainly be the surprise of the spring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:59 pm 

still vasquez impressed me,..

and hey MR MONROE's 3rd!!

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:28 pm 

Monroe is going to be on the opening day roster. He is a vet, who can play the OF, and is a right-hander with some power. The Bucs have nobody else who is better for this role.

This calls to mind Wilton's observation that it makes no sense to make roster decisions based on spring training performance given all of the issues we have discussed on this board. However, the fact is that there really is no other forum to decide who should be the 12th pitcher or the 25th guy on the major league roster.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:38 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Monroe is going to be on the opening day roster. He is a vet, who can play the OF, and is a right-hander with some power. The Bucs have nobody else who is better for this role.

Between Moss's gimpy thumb and Morgan's crappy spring showing so far, I'm betting Monroe's in the opening day lineup.

That's some bad mojo, fo' sho'.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:49 pm 

I'll be the wet blanket and propose that Salazar may be the better option if we're not playing the lefty righty game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:52 pm 

I gotta say, I like Morgan's speed and that's about it. I'm afraid he's another Tike Redman. If Monroe keeps this up, I don't see how Russell can't start him in left.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:49 pm 

It would be nice if Craig Monroe was the next Carlos Pena.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:07 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I'll be the wet blanket and propose that Salazar may be the better option if we're not playing the lefty righty game.

I'd rather have Salazar in AAA for when Monroe comes up lame.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 am 

Argentum wrote:

I have to agree. Salazar has the minor league resume worthy of consideration for Monroe's likely position. Salazar will surprise people here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:35 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Keep dreaming. The two have little in common.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:49 am 

Willton wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Keep dreaming. The two have little in common.

They both could not Homer vs the DUTCH ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:50 am 

Monroe's career splits with RISP aren't bad at all. His L-R platoon splits, though, are pretty uninspiring. Back when we signed him, I jokingly suggested that an Earl Weaver-Casey Stengel type might be able to strategically coax a productive 250 PAs out of him over the course of a season, but as far as seeing significant time in LF, I'd far rather have Pearce or even Morgan play themselves out of the lineup. Even in that event, I would hand things over to Hinske before Monroe. I also agree with the sentiments re: Salazar.

Still and all, three homers in a game, regardless of context or competition, is quite a feat. So congrats to Craig for that!

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:29 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Oooohhh!! I was trying to think of a precedent for this guy to give me hope that he could really develop into something yet, and that's it!!! Good one!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:53 pm 

Guys, we had the Craig Monroe is the next Carlos Pena argument back when we signed Monroe. A couple points from that thread...

Willton:
Quote:
Pena was a considerably different case compared to Monroe. Pena was able to control the strike zone while hitting for power. There's little evidence that Monroe knows where the strike zone is. Monroe is filler, plain and simple.

IronKett25:
Quote:
Thank you for addressing that comment from the first page, comparing Carlos Pena to Craig Monroe is not really fair at all. Carlos Pena had incredible minor league numbers and had always hit for power in the majors before the Rays signed him. Craig Monroe really had not experienced anywhere near the level of success Pena had experienced at any level of the minors or majors.

ZM:
Quote:
I don't give a flying frip that Pena's OPS, or OBP was greater than Monroe's. I merely point out that they both had a relative level of success at some point (DEGREE of success being arbitrary), and that Monroe, like Pena, could return to HIS previous levels, aka "bounce back like Pena". And, obviously, the sabremetric staff of the NH office feels he has a chance to do so, and that if so, it would help.

Yours truly:
Quote:
Here is the problem with that statement...Pena did not return to his previous levels. Pena had a career year, with an OPS nearly 200 points HIGHER than he had EVER put up. In fact, in Pena's two "down years", his OPS was very comparable to what he had done earlier in his career (around .800- though it was in limited playing time in 05 and 06), and he had a reasonable OBP during those years. So it wasn't so much a bounce-back as it was a breakout.

So unless you are proposing Monroe is poised for a breakout year (which you would have a lot of convincing to do if that were the case), it is erroneous to say that Monroe will "bounce back like Pena". The two are really not analagous.

Kingston:
Quote:
Monroe will be 32. Over the last 2 years his OBP has been under .275. A high K rate. Couldnt find the strike zone if he had Lewis and Clark showing him the way. And amazingly, since he would be here to face lefties, seems to have forgotten how to hit lefties last year (.138). These are some of the reasons why I dont see any breakout or bounceback in this guys future.

And the most logical statement at the time, from PF13:
Quote:
Does it really matter? Need we dedicate 6 pages to a Minor league signing? Its a good move by the Bucs because if he plays well, than we have a nice value at a minimum price, otherwise, he is just AAA fill-in.

For the record, that thread went to a full 9 pages. Hopefully I just saved us from 9 more. Yes, I hope Monroe OPS's over .900, but I also hope for a lot of other things that aint ever gonna happen too.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1202&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=carlos+pena

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ahhhh... talk about pre-emptive board castration! As if chili wasn't enough.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:10 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Ahhhh... talk about pre-emptive board castration! As if chili wasn't enough.

ZM

What about this half wit who had this to say about Monroe and Perez?

Argentum wrote:
Neither one makes the 25 man roster.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:34 pm 

BBF.... thanks for the props(or however kids say it these days).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:54 pm 
 WWW  Profile

In his past, has Monroe shown any signs of being a streaky hitter? I understand he's now homered in the last three games, so I'm curious.

Also, I'm sure I've now joined the "hey, he ain't THAT old" club. I used to think 32 was old and washed up for a player..but now that I'm well in my 30's, I think "hey, he ain't THAT old!"