Sanchez 2B
McLouth CF
Doumit DH
LaRoche, Adam 1B
LaRoche, Andy 3B
Wilson SS
Diaz C
Salazar RF

Gorzo continues to struggle with control against Boston's B-listers. Plunks the leadoff man, goes 3-0 on next batter before walking him, bombs away by the three holer.

3-0 Boston bottom of the 1st

Post subject: Re: Red Sox at Pirates 3/9/09
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:59 pm 

Gorzo starts the 3rd but gets yanked after giving up a dinger to Green.

2IP
2 H
4 ER
1 BB
2 K
2 HR

Falling behind in the count killed him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Gorzo starts the 3rd but gets yanked after giving up a dinger to Green.

2IP
2 H
4 ER
1 BB
2 K
2 HR

Falling behind in the count killed him.

lets sign SIDNEY PONSON

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:03 pm 

Barring a dramatic reversal of fortune the rest of the spring, I think it would be best for Gorzo to go back to AAA and re-learn to pitch. He's got loads of talent, but it's useless right now. I'd be happy with Karstens, Ohlendorf, or McCutchen taking his place until he could return.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:21 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Might also be entering the dead arm period of camp, where tired, underdeveloped arms meet improving swings.

Meh, we'll see.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:27 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Might also be entering the dead arm period of camp, where tired, underdeveloped arms meet improving swings.

Meh, we'll see.

ZM

I don't know about "improving swings", did you happen to get a look at their line-up?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:08 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Gorzo continues to struggle with control against Boston's B-listers. Plunks the leadoff man, goes 3-0 on next batter before walking him, bombs away by the three holer.

This is key to how pitchers get in trouble, and why Pirate hitters need to develop plate discipline and patience.

Control issues involve much, much more than just walks. Control involves getting ahead in the count, to put the hitter in a non-hitting count. 0-1, 0-2, 1-2. Trying to pitch in 2-0 and 3-1 counts will kill the pitcher. The batter looks for his pitch, in his zone. If he gets it, bombs away. If not, then let the count go to 2-1 or 3-2 and wait for a better pitch.

Gorzellany simply frustrates the hell out of me. He falls behind waaaaaaaaay too often. We look at his line and see 2 walks, and think, "ehh, not good, but not terrible."

Wrong. His control was terrible. He falls behind, gets into crappy counts, cannot control pitches within the strike zone, and gets lit up.

No starter should remain in the rotation if he consistently falls behind in the count, cannot avoid 25-pitch innings, and leaves after something like 3 2/3 ineffective innings.

Enough already, Gorzellany. Kerrigan has been hounding the pitchers to throw strikes, to get ahead of batters, to avoid hitter's counts. And Gorzellany flashes back to his horrid 2008 habit of falling behind everybody, including the usher and the bat boy.

End of rant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm 

Good rant Bucfan. One person who is an example of implementing the Kerrigan system appears to be Hansen. With the standard disclaimer that yeah, I know it's only spring training, Hansen continues to throw first pitch strikes and keep the ball down. Another nice outing today. I could live with one k per inning and no walks from him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:34 pm 

cudos to Jose Tabata!! 2 doubles, 4 ribbies.. i think i gonna like the pirates in a few years from now..

let's dream strassbourg is still there 2 draft.. o man..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:40 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
Barring a dramatic reversal of fortune the rest of the spring, I think it would be best for Gorzo to go back to AAA and re-learn to pitch. He's got loads of talent, but it's useless right now. I'd be happy with Karstens, Ohlendorf, or McCutchen taking his place until he could return.

I'll second that, if only because that's what I've been preaching all offseason.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:35 pm 

unless there is some dramatic improvement in Gorzo, it would be a clear mistake to have him as part of the team in April when they count. He looks to be as bad as he was at the end of last year. Someone, anyone must be better on this roster.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 pm 

I'm curious as to how he is throwing the ball. Velocity, movement, etc. I'm not ready to discard him after 2 or 3 spring starts. He needs to get some confidence back. He has too much talent to not make it. Hopefully he'll get things straightened out. And remember...lots of guys have had horrid spring trainings and then tore it up once the season starts, and vice versa. Patience will be needed when dealing with Gorzo.