Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worst team?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:08 pm 

So, I've got MLB.TV going and I'm watching the Orioles-Washington game and who shows up in the lineup for the Nationals? Both Jose Castillo and Brad "Big Country" Eldred. We are a much better team than we were a few years ago.

Post subject: Re: Worst team?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:17 pm 

Yikes!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:19 pm 

Watch it there, Chet. One of our more pugilistically-minded posters (see my sig) thinks the Nats are building a winner the right way: you know, by signing Adam Dunn to complement other high-powered acquisitions like Corey Patterson and Luis Hernandez. He might just bust you in the snotbox for such talk.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:21 pm 

Hey, my Pirates jersey is still a Jose Castillo model so in my world it's a fantastic signing. I'm just not sure how it will turn out in the standings.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 pm 

Eldred nearly jacked one out to end the Nats half of the third. Caught up in the wind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:35 pm 

Quick, tell me who is a better baseball player:

Castillo, or Andy LaRoche.

And be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm 

That question is so ridiculous it doesn't even merit an answer. But the correct one by any measure is Laroche, Andy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:43 pm 

Andy Laroche could put up a Castillo like line of 250/300/375 in his sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:44 pm 

Only problem is, he hasn't. I do believe LaRoche will be better, but we haven't seen it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:51 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
Only problem is, he hasn't. I do believe LaRoche will be better, but we haven't seen it.

I'm talking present tense.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:28 pm 

Quote:
Andy Laroche could put up a Castillo like line of 250/300/375 in his sleep.

Maybe if the Pirates are lucky .....One laroche will hit in the first half and the other in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:53 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Quick, tell me who is a better baseball player:

Castillo, or Andy LaRoche.

And be honest.

As Kojak said, this is one of the most ridiculous questions asked on this board. Their minor league records are incomparable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:13 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Watch it there, Chet. One of our more pugilistically-minded posters (see my sig) thinks the Nats are building a winner the right way: you know, by signing Adam Dunn to complement other high-powered acquisitions like Corey Patterson and Luis Hernandez. He might just bust you in the snotbox for such talk.

Maybe you should do your research a little better. Corey Patterson, Luis Hernandez, Eldred and Castillo are either backups, AAA backups, or spring trainer filler. What the Nats did do in the offseason was add Dunn as well as Josh Willingham and Scott Olsen to a team that includes good pieces like Ryan Zimmerman, Cristian Guzman, Elijah Dukes, Jordan Zimmerman and Lastings Milledge. They are as sure to draft to Stephen Strasburg as tomorrow is to be Monday. Strasburg is the best pitching prospect to come out this decade. They also own the 10th pick in the draft.
Say what you will about Jim Bowden, and the time he spent with the Nats, but I myself would take a GM who oversees a bad team and makes aggressive moves in the offseason to improve it over one who oversees a bad team and signs Ramon Vazquez and Craig Monroe while counting down the days until 2011 when our prospects are ready. I would gamble about the certainty of future success of the Washington Nationals before I would the Pirates.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:43 pm 

The Nationals are a long way of from being competitive...

Spending so much time in recent years going after former Cincy Red OFers is going to catch up with them soon

Christian Guzman is no better than Jack Wilson and their pitchers seem to have a track record in the minors of low K's and high BB's

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:33 pm 

That's the first time in the history of baseball that Cristian Guzman has been called a good piece.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:17 am 

Jeremy wrote:
That's the first time in the history of baseball that Cristian Guzman has been called a good piece.

Perhaps. Certainly noone is going to mistake him for Hanley Ramirez, but that wasn't my point. My point was collectively the Nationals are in better shape than the Pirates and thus comparing Guzman only to Jack Wilson of whom he is better.

BTW, by my count the Nats are featuring only one Reds former OF in their everyday lineup. The same guy who's mashing the ball for the USA so far in the WBC. I forget his name though.
I fail to see how whatever time they may have spent going after Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns affects them at all in 2009.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 am 

omgardd wrote:
I fail to see how whatever time they may have spent going after Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns affects them at all in 2009.

The time and money could have been better spent, and then they may have been in better shape this year. (Chris Carter, anyone?) The biggest mistake the Nats made recently was not signing their #1 draft pick last year, Aaron Crow. That was a huge setback for the Nats, and because I know you CIA guys think like this, I'll throw it out there: whatever money that was spent on Kearns and Pena could have been spent on Crow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:26 am 

omgardd wrote:
Maybe you should do your research a little better. Corey Patterson, Luis Hernandez, Eldred and Castillo are either backups, AAA backups, or spring trainer filler. What the Nats did do in the offseason was add Dunn as well as Josh Willingham and Scott Olsen to a team that includes good pieces like Ryan Zimmerman, Cristian Guzman, Elijah Dukes, Jordan Zimmerman and Lastings Milledge. They are as sure to draft to Stephen Strasburg as tomorrow is to be Monday. Strasburg is the best pitching prospect to come out this decade. They also own the 10th pick in the draft.
Say what you will about Jim Bowden, and the time he spent with the Nats, but I myself would take a GM who oversees a bad team and makes aggressive moves in the offseason to improve it over one who oversees a bad team and signs Ramon Vazquez and Craig Monroe while counting down the days until 2011 when our prospects are ready. I would gamble about the certainty of future success of the Washington Nationals before I would the Pirates.

Maybe you should learn something about basic roster construction before shooting your mouth off.

I'll give Bowden credit for snagging Milledge and Dukes, but beyond those moves, there's not a single signing or trade he made that has set that team up for future success. Unless stockpiling mediocre outfielders at the expense of nearly every other position on the field is some new undervalue strategy I've yet to hear about. I guess you have.

If the Nats are ahead of the Pirates, it's because they're going to start reaping the rewards of a cogent drafting strategy that started 3+ years ago, as opposed to <1 year for the Pirates. Even so, their farm system is decidedly middle of the pack, and as Willton points out, their embarrassing failure to sign Aaron Crow in the first round last year set them back considerably. I'm not sure I would be printing up those Strasburg Nats jerseys just yet.

And because I'm not sure everyone fully understood the ridiculousness of this statement, here it is again:

omgardd wrote:
a team that includes good pieces like ... Cristian Guzman.

I'll give you a mulligan there on the assumption you were going for a laugh. You certainly gave me one.

I agree that the two Zimmermans plus Milledge and Dukes make a nice core for the next Nats GM to build on. But as that roster is constructed at the moment, and with nothing in the upper levels of the minors to pin any hopes on, they're only nominally better than the Pirates. If that's your exemplar for FC and NH to follow, you're setting the bar incredibly low.

Last edited by LtCol Kojak Slaphead on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:12 am 

omgardd wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Perhaps. Certainly noone is going to mistake him for Hanley Ramirez, but that wasn't my point. My point was collectively the Nationals are in better shape than the Pirates and thus comparing Guzman only to Jack Wilson of whom he is better.

BTW, by my count the Nats are featuring only one Reds former OF in their everyday lineup. The same guy who's mashing the ball for the USA so far in the WBC. I forget his name though.

Another first. The first time Guzman has been called better than Wilson.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

the Nats moves remind me of the Camaroonies era.

obsession with 5-tool guys with no baseball acumen, "splashy" players from another org. etc.

I see about the same results... no, check, HAVE seen the same results.

ZM