Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:41 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:16 pm
Posts: 165
Location: Boston, MA
In the heat of the moment, if he was coming out to take a swing at me, I might. It's not like Zim was sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs and Martinez stuck a knife in his side. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Now, it will be a different story when we see photos of Martinez going to bus stops and provoking the elderly.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
chetthespian wrote:
In the heat of the moment, if he was coming out to take a swing at me, I might. It's not like Zim was sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs and Martinez stuck a knife in his side. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Now, it will be a different story when we see photos of Martinez going to bus stops and provoking the elderly.



Yeah, because DON ZIMMER is going to kick someone's ass.

Give me a break.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
And for those who forgot what kind of guy Pedro is:

http://www.gossiponsports.com/revisiting-the-pedro-martinez-don-zimmer-smackdown/

THAT'S a guy I want pitching on the PNC Mound this summer. :?

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Why wouldn't you want a guy like that pitching at PNC?



Punched any old men lately Wilton?

No, but that's largely because I haven't had any old men attempt to attack me. I also do not recall Pedro punching anyone, even Don Zimmer.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
chetthespian wrote:
In the heat of the moment, if he was coming out to take a swing at me, I might. It's not like Zim was sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs and Martinez stuck a knife in his side. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Now, it will be a different story when we see photos of Martinez going to bus stops and provoking the elderly.



Yeah, because DON ZIMMER is going to kick someone's ass.

Give me a break.

If Don Zimmer were coming after me, I'm not sure I'd wait to find out.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
chetthespian wrote:
In the heat of the moment, if he was coming out to take a swing at me, I might. It's not like Zim was sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs and Martinez stuck a knife in his side. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Now, it will be a different story when we see photos of Martinez going to bus stops and provoking the elderly.



Yeah, because DON ZIMMER is going to kick someone's ass.

Give me a break.

If Don Zimmer were coming after me, I'm not sure I'd wait to find out.



Then you're a wuss.

Sorry, but that's the truth.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2176
Please tell me I'm not witnessing an argument based on whether or not to beat down Don Zimmer....maybe I'm reading this wrong!!??!!??

Anyway everyone knows if you make Zimmer chase you for anywhere over 7 1/2 seconds he's finished....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
PirateParrot wrote:
Please tell me I'm not witnessing an argument based on whether or not to beat down Don Zimmer....maybe I'm reading this wrong!!??!!??

Anyway everyone knows if you make Zimmer chase you for anywhere over 7 1/2 seconds he's finished....



Yes.....you are.


Let that marinate for a few hours.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10758
Jeremy wrote:
Then you're a wuss.

Sorry, but that's the truth.


Zimmer ran at Martinez, who did an "ole" while throwing him to the ground.

Could Martinez have backed up and avoided the contact? Maybe. But for heaven's sake, if a guy is charging at you, and you respond with an ole', I cannot criticize that response.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Bucfan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Then you're a wuss.

Sorry, but that's the truth.


Zimmer ran at Martinez, who did an "ole" while throwing him to the ground.

Could Martinez have backed up and avoided the contact? Maybe. But for heaven's sake, if a guy is charging at you, and you respond with an ole', I cannot criticize that response.



Zimmer is 198 years old!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:13 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Going back to whether Pedro can pitch or not, he was impressive over 3 innings today against Holland. 3IP, 9 batters faced, 1 hit, 4 Ks. Granted it was Holland and pitchers tend to be ahead of hitters, but it was an impressive outing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
BBF wrote:
Going back to whether Pedro can pitch or not, he was impressive over 3 innings today against Holland. 3IP, 9 batters faced, 1 hit, 4 Ks. Granted it was Holland and pitchers tend to be ahead of hitters, but it was an impressive outing.



Ponson looked better than Martinez.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:28 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Jeremy wrote:
BBF wrote:
Going back to whether Pedro can pitch or not, he was impressive over 3 innings today against Holland. 3IP, 9 batters faced, 1 hit, 4 Ks. Granted it was Holland and pitchers tend to be ahead of hitters, but it was an impressive outing.



Ponson looked better than Martinez.


You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. And I think the results- Ponson gave up 5 hits and 3 walks in 4+ IP with only 1K and only threw 35 of 69 pitches for strikes- suggests Ponson was not as good as Pedro, who threw 32 of 40 pitches for strikes.

I'm still against us going after Pedro, because I don't think this one outing against Holland is any indication of his ability. But I think he turned in a great showing today, certainly better than Ponson.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
Lest we forget, Ponson has a history of attacking old men as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47126-2005Jan4.html

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Lest we forget, Ponson has a history of attacking old men as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47126-2005Jan4.html


How about the Pirates sign Ponson and Russ Ortiz, then nobody over 50 is will be safe to attend the games.I'm still big on signing Pedro.He can help our up and down young pitchers alot(Snell, Gorzo, and Duke).Its not how many games can he win for us because he could come out and win 20 and i don't think we will be over .500 but he could be a big help to the development of our young players and better his image before retiring, because if he signs with a team to be a hero he is just going to be run out of town.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Colin21 wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Lest we forget, Ponson has a history of attacking old men as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47126-2005Jan4.html


How about the Pirates sign Ponson and Russ Ortiz, then nobody over 50 is will be safe to attend the games.I'm still big on signing Pedro.He can help our up and down young pitchers alot(Snell, Gorzo, and Duke).Its not how many games can he win for us because he could come out and win 20 and i don't think we will be over .500 but he could be a big help to the development of our young players and better his image before retiring, because if he signs with a team to be a hero he is just going to be run out of town.



Again, where does this fantasy come from?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Jeremy wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Lest we forget, Ponson has a history of attacking old men as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47126-2005Jan4.html


How about the Pirates sign Ponson and Russ Ortiz, then nobody over 50 is will be safe to attend the games.I'm still big on signing Pedro.He can help our up and down young pitchers alot(Snell, Gorzo, and Duke).Its not how many games can he win for us because he could come out and win 20 and i don't think we will be over .500 but he could be a big help to the development of our young players and better his image before retiring, because if he signs with a team to be a hero he is just going to be run out of town.






Again, where does this fantasy come from?


It comes from that i think that is all that is left of his career and he will realize that.I don't know if it will be with the Pirates or not but he is either going to have to take a role and a pitcher that is there to help out the young players or he is going to be a free-agent, and somebody that cares about his money so bad will straighten up and realize that the Pedro Ego as a star is dead and hes just a member of a supporting cast.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Then you're a wuss.

Sorry, but that's the truth.


Zimmer ran at Martinez, who did an "ole" while throwing him to the ground.

Could Martinez have backed up and avoided the contact? Maybe. But for heaven's sake, if a guy is charging at you, and you respond with an ole', I cannot criticize that response.



Zimmer is 198 years old!

So what would you do, tough guy? Wait for him to hit you?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
The guy who advocates beating uo old men calls me tough guy.

You're a real piece of work.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Jeremy wrote:
The guy who advocates beating uo old men calls me tough guy.

You're a real piece of work.

You're twisting my words, which seems to be a favorite pastime of yours. I do not advocate beating up old men. I advocate defending one's self when being attacked, even if by an old man.

You still didn't answer the question. What would you do if a 60-year-old angry man is charging toward you? Allow him to hit you?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:58 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Hell this conversation about hitting helpless old men is starting to depress me. I'm 61 and didn't feel so old until reading this thread. Hell, am I so old that no one would bother hitting me cause I'm too old and would make you look bad?

When did that happen to me? You young whippersnappers you :!:

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits