Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I know this has been brought up before but yesterday just reinforced my feelings on signing this guy. I can't remember who was doing the report on ESPN but he said that Pedro will be had for 2-3 million and be a back-end rotation type of pitcher.

That being said, why shouldn't the Pirates offer him around $4.5 million (we would have to overpay) and hope he can regain some of his old form. His name alone would be a big trade piece later this summer. I know the Pirates could get one or two prospects for him, thus upgrading the minor league system. For that low price it seems like a good gamble. When he pitches at home he'll put butts in the seats too.

Post subject: Re: Pedro Martinez
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:24 pm 

Frankly I wonder if he can still pitch effectively. His ERA was 5.61 last year. His name alone can't make up for that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:36 pm 

Quote:
That being said, why shouldn't the Pirates offer him around $4.5 million (we would have to overpay) and hope he can regain some of his old form. His name alone would be a big trade piece later this summer.

Seriously, There is a guy who could play 2 out of every 3 games for the buc's; and would hit 30 home runs in PNC; and could be had for that same 4.5 million. Talk about someone who has something to prove! You know who Im talking about.

I know the Pirates would never do it...But they did sign two guys straight out of a convenience store, so you never know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:40 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Can you imagine the national splash the Pirates could make if they forked out $10 million (total) for two players like Bonds and Pedro? Wow! Won't happen but it would make for a circus! I'm not sure the Pirates organization knows how to think outside the box like that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:47 pm 

The effects of name recognition wear away very quickly once the fans realize that the famous pitcher cannot pitch anymore. I would be amenable to having Pedro come to the Pirates, but the fan in me cannot outweigh rational decision-making. If Pedro can pitch better than our fifth-best pitcher, then I could see why he would be an attractive option. But on the other hand, we have a number of pitchers who are unknown commodities, and considering that we are not winning the division this year, with or without Pedro, it would be worth the Pirates' while to determine what they have in the farm system when it comes to starting pitching.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:48 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Frankly I wonder if he can still pitch effectively. His ERA was 5.61 last year. His name alone can't make up for that.

This is very true. Add to that the quotes that he has given in the past couple of days stating that he isn't going to take a contract like Tom Glavine, that he would rather go sit on his fishing boat, and I am getting the impression that this guy is probably just hoping to collect one more fat paycheck. Not sure the desire (or ability) is there any more.

I think IA is right to say he will put butts in the seats, at least at first. But he also has the potential to become a one-year albatross. I am tempted to say that I'd rather give those starts to Karstens, Ohlendorf, etc. to see if any of them can be a dependable back-of-the-rotation starter in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 pm 

So he's not willing to come and mentor some young pitchers on an up and coming team?

Who knew......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
on an up and coming team?

Oh, I thought we were talking about him coming to the Pirates?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:13 pm 

BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
on an up and coming team?

Oh, I thought we were talking about him coming to the Pirates?!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone here keeps telling me that 2010 will be a breakout season for the Bucs. I'm trying not to be a douche anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:18 pm 

And I give you props for your effort Jeremy. Like I tell my students, it;s not I can't but rather, I'll try.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:07 pm 

Willton wrote:
The effects of name recognition wear away very quickly once the fans realize that the famous pitcher cannot pitch anymore. I would be amenable to having Pedro come to the Pirates, but the fan in me cannot outweigh rational decision-making. If Pedro can pitch better than our fifth-best pitcher, then I could see why he would be an attractive option. But on the other hand, we have a number of pitchers who are unknown commodities, and considering that we are not winning the division this year, with or without Pedro, it would be worth the Pirates' while to determine what they have in the farm system when it comes to starting pitching.

Exactly what I said in the other thread on this. I just can't figure out people's fascination with trying to acquire this guy. If you aren't going to find out about your own people in a year like this then when will you? Plus, as was stated, the guy may not have anything left.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

PirateParrot wrote:
Exactly what I said in the other thread on this. I just can't figure out people's fascination with trying to acquire this guy. If you aren't going to find out about your own people in a year like this then when will you? Plus, as was stated, the guy may not have anything left.

Because the Pirates are trying to build depth within the entire organization. If you sign a guy like Pedro, you are taking a chance. You are taking a chance that he breaks down and you lose X amount of dollars. If he pitches fairly well you can get rid of him and his expiring contract to a contender that is looking for a veteran arm. His name will get more than a Todd Ritchie or Kip Wells even if they have the same numbers. It isn't the safe play but the reward is much greater than not signing him. The other guys in the rotation would just be shuffled down a notch.

Look, I like the signing because of the potential it might get some young talent in return. I don't look at him as a stopgap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
That being said, why shouldn't the Pirates offer him around $4.5 million (we would have to overpay) and hope he can regain some of his old form.

IA - are you the guy on the right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No I'm not Napoleon...GOSH!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:40 pm 

And for those who forgot what kind of guy Pedro is:

http://www.gossiponsports.com/revisiting-the-pedro-martinez-don-zimmer-smackdown/

THAT'S a guy I want pitching on the PNC Mound this summer. :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:26 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

http://www.gossiponsports.com/revisiting-the-pedro-martinez-don-zimmer-smackdown/

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Why wouldn't you want a guy like that pitching at PNC?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:31 pm 

I've never understood the whole fuss about Zim-Pedro. Pedro didn't take a swing at Zimmer, and Zimmer was coming at him like a brain hungry zombie. When someone comes at you, I have no problem pushing them down. It was not like Zimmer was coming out to hug Martinez.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:21 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Are you trying to be sarcastic? Why wouldn't you want a guy like that pitching at PNC?

Punched any old men lately Wilton?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:52 pm 

Lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:01 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
I've never understood the whole fuss about Zim-Pedro. Pedro didn't take a swing at Zimmer, and Zimmer was coming at him like a brain hungry zombie. When someone comes at you, I have no problem pushing them down. It was not like Zimmer was coming out to hug Martinez.

Really? You'd throw a 60 year old man on his ass instead of just stepping to the side?