Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M & M's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm 

First of all, does your last name HAVE to start with M to play in the Pirates outfield (MCClouth, Morgan, Moss and McCutcheon)?

Anyway, here's the real question....if McCutcheon is the CF heir apparant and will likely come up in the middle of the year sometime and if McClouth is going to shift over to left and if Morgan is just keeping the seat warm until then, why wouldn't you move McClouth now and let him learn the nuances of left-field to start the year and play Morgan in center? Why have two guys getting acclimated at the same time come mid-summer, assuming that will, in fact, be how things shake out this year?

Post subject: Re: M & M's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:59 pm 

bradf wrote:
First of all, does your last name HAVE to start with M to play in the Pirates outfield (MCClouth, Morgan, Moss and McCutcheon)?

Anyway, here's the real question....if McCutcheon is the CF heir apparant and will likely come up in the middle of the year sometime and if McClouth is going to shift over to left and if Morgan is just keeping the seat warm until then, why wouldn't you move McClouth now and let him learn the nuances of left-field to start the year and play Morgan in center? Why have two guys getting acclimated at the same time come mid-summer, assuming that will, in fact, be how things shake out this year?

Morgan can cover more ground than Nate, but does that make him better in CF? Nate is good at knowing where to go when the ball is hit, where Morgan in his first time up here made up for his mistakes by his speed...

What if McCutchen isnt ready by Mid Season? I'm guessing its easier going from CF to LF than LF to CF, but I dont know...I only ever played in the OF a few times in my life when I played ball, so I dont know...

Plus what if Morgan stinks it up to or ends up in a platoon? I'm sure it would be a pain moving Nate game to game from LF to CF depending when Morgan is in or out of the lineup...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:00 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

McClouth came up through the system as a corner OF. He had to learn CF, not the other way around.

However, it may be that McCutch comes in as a LF to start. Easier transition, routes and the like while getting his feet wet at the plate.

Then, you switch next year.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:08 pm 

Brad,

I had been asking myself essentially the same question most of the offseason, and I think Dan's answer is probably pretty close to the truth. The fact is that there is no guarantee that Nyjer wins or keeps a starting job, and none of the other candidates can play center. So, you let Nate stay put in one position instead of moving around based on who else is playing. I think that if they knew Nyjer would pan out as a starter, then they might consider the switch now.

Along these same lines, lets talk about Tabata. The Pirates have said he will start one level below McCutchen because they are both CF'ers. However, most scouts seem to think that his bulk will force him to be shifted to a corner position (not to mention he would be playing a corner in Pittsburgh anyways if McCutchen is in center), so why is this a concern? If he shows he is ready for Indy, why not put him in right field now?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:10 pm 

Morgan is likely to sit quite a bit, in favor of Hinske or whichever right-handed outfielder makes the team. So if McClouth was playing left, he would have to mover over to center on days when Morgan sits.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:29 pm 

Team primarily needs to see if Nyjer can hit. Nothing else really matters in regards to him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm 

I'd be willing to bet that Nyjer is going to be ok in LF, he is a stop gap, nothing more.

In American Idol terms... he will be good but not very memorable.