Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this possibly the best Pirates team in DECADES???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:47 pm 

When is the last time the Pirates had a 750 winning % for a month ?. You are proably dead balls on the mark if you said never.

This is a good sign, we are sailing through unchartered waters, and looking sharp doing it.

Alot of question marks, but YOUTH DEVELOPMENT is the key with this team.
IF the projected youth pans out, and bits and pieces are added, and NOT subtracted, this could be a real powerful, exciting team way before 2011.

I am only joking about the couple of decades stuff pertaining to the winning %, but it's a start.

Going down to Bradenton on sunday to see the tigers contest.

I will try and bring back some interesting observations, when i give you all a summary on Sunday Night.

New member to the board, long time reader, and a LONGER time Pirates fan (since 1971).
I reside in st petersburg, so i do make a few games each year.
Hope my comments and criticisms are appreciated, and i welcome any and all opposite views. Later on!!!

Post subject: Re: Is this possibly the best Pirates team in DECADES???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:43 pm 

Let me be the first to welcome you! I hope you don't live to regret that comment about any and all comments being welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:59 pm 

Welcome to the board. since you've been reading for awhile, you know that you need thick skin to be a poster here. But in truth, I feel like most of the members are good guys. People that would be good to share a beer with. Anyway, welcome and jump right in. It'll be nice to read a fresh new voice at the games.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 pm 

Welcome Palushock! It's nice to see another St. Petersburg person on the board. What spring training games are you attending? I have tickets for the 14th in Bradenton and the 15th in Port Charlotte. I'm sure that I will hit some more after that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:20 pm 

Welcome. The insights will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 pm 

Welcome, palushock. I have a different take on the spring results.

Spring training is not a fair indication of what the team will do in the regular season. The winds can be howing at 20 mph, turning routine fly balls into doubles or home runs, the fielding is spotty because of the free substitutions, pitchers are just trying to get arm strength back, pitchers work on new pitches, etc.

Last spring, for example, Xavier Nady hit .139 in spring. He had a pretty good opening day, and a good April. His spring performance really did not mean much ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Wasn't Gorzo putting up All-Star numbers last spring?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:36 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Welcome, palushock. I have a different take on the spring results.

Spring training is not a fair indication of what the team will do in the regular season. The winds can be howing at 20 mph, turning routine fly balls into doubles or home runs, the fielding is spotty because of the free substitutions, pitchers are just trying to get arm strength back, pitchers work on new pitches, etc.

Last spring, for example, Xavier Nady hit .139 in spring. He had a pretty good opening day, and a good April. His spring performance really did not mean much ...

This is why I think the whole idea of two players competing for a position during spring training is a farce. The idea that one could get a fair look at two players and determine who is better based on their play during one month of baseball in unrealistic, non-competitive conditions makes little sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:51 am 

I agree that it means nothing when considering individual players. But it can put some positive feelings about winning into the entire bunch. The attitude of everyone carries some weight when thinking about the attitude of each player. There is nothing like winning to help create the right feeling in the locker room. This is no small thing when players go onto the field. I hope they continue this winning. There is an important team dynamic going on here.

Besides it does great things for the phychological feelings of the fans especially the uninformed and casual fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37 am 

Wilton, I agree that many times position battles during spring training don't make a lot of sense, I think it has a lot less to do with the numbers they post. The talent evaluators who actually make the decisions I'm sure factor in how the player looks, the scouting reports. That kind of thing. Everyone involved know the numbers don't mean much but if a guy is only hitting the BP fastballs offered up and is taking huge cuts on breaking balls out of the zone, his numbers might look great, but it doesn't mean he deserves a starting job.