Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on the spring!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:46 pm 

Hello Gentlemen: (you have all been missed)

I really, really, really want to believe this year, BUT I think the Pirates made a huge mistake in not signing one of the middle of the road, solid proven major leaguers that were free agents this year. When you guys with proven track records going to teams like the Nationals for bargain basement prices, while our management sits on their hands and makes sure the payroll does not go over that magic 50 million mark, then I really have to ask the question, "Are they really trying to improve or are they still trying to do it on the cheap, like they have done for the last fifteen years?"

One of the problems with young teams is that there is no veteran leadership. Too often, we have seen prospects thrown in at the major league level, with no one to protect them and they go out and fail (Hermansen anyone?).

I mean this year, we go from the most productive outfield in baseball (Nady, Bay and McClouth) to the most unproven outfield we have seen since '84 (Harper, Frobel and Wynne).

Would it really have broken Nutting's budget to sign a proven 5 or even (gasp) 10 million dollar hitter this year to provide some protection for Morgan and Moss?

I just dread the thought of seeing the Bucs get off to another miserable 7-20 start this year and the season is effectively over before the Ides of May.

And then it will be, "Who can we get for Adam Larouche at the break?" Let's trade Freddy and Jack for anything, because we have to save money and stock up on more "can't miss" prospects, and of course Neal Huntington's ineveitable statement:

"What we are trying to do is build a solid organization so we can compete in 2013!

Sorry, I hope I am wrong but that is the way I see it.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the spring!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:55 pm 

We signed Eric Hinske. He should be a solid bench presence, given the fact that he has been on the 2007 Red Sox World Series Championship team and the 2008 Devil Rays AL Championship team. And, he has some power too.

Signing veteran bats for protection like Jeremy Burnitz and Joe Randa with huge dollar signs is old regime stuff. Save some money, sign a guy that isn't completely over the hill and can be a bench presence, and go from there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:59 pm 

The Nationals sign Adam Dunn to start; we sign Eric Hinske to play on Sundays. Oh Joy!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:15 pm 

Now is not the time to sign a stop-gap, middle of the road veteran free agent. They are going to lose this year with or without that guy. They need to put their resources into acquiring and developing young talent, which they are doing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:15 pm 

Henry Clay Sr. wrote:
The Nationals sign Adam Dunn to start; we sign Eric Hinske to play on Sundays. Oh Joy!
My exact reaction, only without the sarcasm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:41 pm 

So instead of signing a veteran starter at, let's be honest marked down prices due to the current economic climate, in order not to put too much pressure on our young guys, we can just watch them go out and lose 90 to 100 games, BUT, guaranteed they will learn and be better in 2010?

One of the problems this franchise has always had is no veteran leadership and no tradition of winning in recent memory. Too much pressure is put on these guys every year and they crack, or haven't you been noticing the team's records in the last few years.

I am on record as saying trading both Nady and Bay last year was a huge mistake. Bay could have been that anchor around which we could have seen which guy could play at the major league level. Instead let's throw Njyer Morgan, and Steve Pearce around McClouth and watch them both hit 220 with over 100 strikeouts.

We find out which one can play, trade Bay at the break this year and team is a few steps ahead as opposed to this "Yeah we will stink up the place this year, but wait till next year as we don't sign any real free agents or upgrade the payroll anymore and this same crew of over matched young guys will be better. Guaranteed!"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:44 pm 

Bob Nutting is in this business to make money. What you, I, or any and every other Pirate Fan want is inconsequential. Bob Nutting's job is to take the money he receives from the Yankees and Red Sox, then pay out far less than that to his players. In addition, his job is to provide proper maintenence to his amusement park/ball park, so that there is plenty to do, OTHER than watch a losing team.

Then, at the end of the year, count the profit he makes, put it in his and his familys' pockets, and start all over again the next year.

Those are the facts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:58 pm 

Rod is right on the money and anybody who thinks they are waiting for the time so they can add somebody to win is thekind of person The Nuttings love.Keep wishing and dreaming and hoping and watching and losing and helping The Nuttings ,their next generation thanks you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:21 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Bob Nutting is in this business to make money.

Show me anyone who is not in business to make money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:34 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
Bob Nutting is in this business to make money.

Show me anyone who is not in business to make money.

Me....I do it for the fun of maxing out my credit cards...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:11 pm 

My thoughts of spring go back to an old friend who always said:

Spring has sprung, the grass is risd,
I wonder where the flowers is?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:19 pm 

Henry:

The list of possible free agents who would improve the Pirates, without costing them a ton of money, was limited. Dunn is an offensive force, but he would have to play 1B with the Pirates. I would not mind that, at all, but that would require (1) having Dunn agree to play for the Buccos for a realistic price, (2) having him agree to play first base, and (3) then trading Adam Laroche.

Why would Dunn have to play first base, you ask? Because the Pirates best young player, McCutchen, is a CF'er. Nate is waaaay to talented to put on the bench. Nate would move to LF, meaning that Dunn would have to move to first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 pm 

Rod Serling wrote:
Bob Nutting is in this business to make money. What you, I, or any and every other Pirate Fan want is inconsequential. Bob Nutting's job is to take the money he receives from the Yankees and Red Sox, then pay out far less than that to his players. In addition, his job is to provide proper maintenence to his amusement park/ball park, so that there is plenty to do, OTHER than watch a losing team.

Then, at the end of the year, count the profit he makes, put it in his and his familys' pockets, and start all over again the next year.

Those are the facts.

Yes and Nutting probably skims money from the Latin America player bonuses too. I'll also bet he takes steroids, killed Kennedy, put his mother into a retirement home, and for good measure, kicks his dog every day.

Dude the Nutting bashing with zero proof is a weak and ridiculous argument, not to mention it is getting very old.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:31 pm 

Quote:
Those are the facts.

Please show proof of these "facts"...