Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey Bucfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:20 pm 

How are things looking for your son's season over in sunny SoCal? They must be about ready to start games.

Post subject: Re: Hey Bucfan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:07 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
How are things looking for your son's season over in sunny SoCal? They must be about ready to start games.

Thx for asking. Appreciate the thought.

Son is in his junior season. The varsity manager does not like son in the field, though son is a good outfielder, plus arm, hits for average, draws walks, does not K, runs the bases well ... don't ask me why the hesitancy to play son in the field.

Son would be a candidate as a Friday or Saturday starting pitcher. However, he wrestles, and broke the middle finger on his left (non-throwing) hand last Friday in CIF wrestling finals. He cannot wear a glove or swing a bat for a couple more weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:37 pm 

I saw him play and can concur. Makes you wonder sometime doesn't it? What does the guy say? My guess is nothing but I hope I am wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I saw him play and can concur. Makes you wonder sometime doesn't it? What does the guy say?

The manager believes that the team has better players.

Son is battling the broken finger. Every year, three years running, he is battling injury from another sport during the baseball season. He has not sustained any baseball-related injury. I seriously do not want son to participate in wrestling any more but he likes the sport and likes the coach.

What can a father do? (except maybe refuse to sign the permission slip for wrestling? Hmmmmm ......)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:40 pm 

Your final point..............What can a father do?................You don't want to discourage them..................the chips must fall....................I have two teenage sons myself................at some point..............What CAN a father do? It's his gig after all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:08 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
What CAN a father do? It's his gig after all.

No doubt. John plays sports because he likes them, and enjoys staying in shape. That will last him a lifetime.

The fact that it may also help get him into a school is a clear benefit as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:09 pm 

Does he have a summer team set up yet?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:28 pm 

Your son is more than likely twice as conditioned and in shape than anyone on the baseball team...

After a full season of wrestling I was always beat up come high school baseball season, after the 1st two years of getting cut from the baseball team, I just gave up trying out and focused on playing Legion Ball...

I never understood, how I couldn't make my high school team, but I was always one of the best players in the league

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Does he have a summer team set up yet?

He is likely to play "Scout Ball" [wood bat league] for the Reds scout team. He will play as a pitcher, but will get at bats as well.

This will be his third season in scout ball.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:31 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Your son is more than likely twice as conditioned and in shape than anyone on the baseball team...

100% correct, Dan. He is in extremely good shape come baseball season - apart from whatever injury he is battling from wrestling (badly injured his right thumb as a frosh, broke finger on left had this year).

To top it off, he broke his clavicle last year after two baseball games and missed most of the year. He broke the clavicle playing football.