Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates sign Gotay
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:44 pm 

Kingston, I can't honestly say that he has value because he hasn't shown much at the major league level. But at 27 years old, I think he may have potential for value...that he could get better.

Also, in trying to figure out where he might play because it's already crowded, we have overlooked the possibility that it could get less crowded in the next few months if Sanchez and/or Wilson are traded. Perhaps that is why we sign a Gotay or give Bixler so many reps at 2nd base in spring training.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:59 pm 

SyrBucco wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
For the 10th straight year, I will point out the following:

Indianapolis has a team. The Pirates are obligated to put 25 players on that roster. Sometimes a player has to be signed to give depth to the AAA team, or to put a 5th starter in the AAA team's rotation. Those signings are of guys like Gotay.

If he hits .500 in AAA, then he will become a backup on the major league roster. If he hits .250 in AAA, then he will be a backup in AAA. Nothing more, nothing less.

BucFan, I just completed my prospective rosters for our minor league affiliates at Indy, Altoona, and Lynchburg. (West Virginia was just too much of a crap shoot).
I have Ford starting at 2b, and Bixler at SS, with Luis Cruz as the primary INF reserve. For this reason, I see no room for Gotay. Even if Cruz makes our opening roster as 25th man (I hope not), we have guys like Pedro Lopez and Machado available for reserve duty. Altoona's middle infield is similarly crowded.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered with a Gotay signing but the more you look, the less you see a place for him. In other words, with all due respect, I still just don't get it.

Who is to say that Gotay must remain with the team? He was signed to a minor league contract, from which he can easily be released. If he does not impress, then he does not have to stay with the organization. Likewise with the other guys competing for minor league middle infield positions.

I imagine that Huntington picked up Gotay on a minor league deal because he found Gotay interesting. If the Bucs subsequently lose interest in Gotay, then Gotay does not have to stick around.

I don't see this as a sticking point for criticism. If Gotay does not impress and he's still hanging around, then I could see a reason to complain. But right now, I don't see signing Gotay to a minor league deal as problematic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:20 pm 

Over the past few days we've discussed:

Andy Marte
Ron Wright
Eric Hinske
Will Ohman
Daniel Moskos
Ruben Gotay

Man, the spring training games can't start fast enough!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:50 pm 

SyrBucco wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
For the 10th straight year, I will point out the following:

Indianapolis has a team. The Pirates are obligated to put 25 players on that roster. Sometimes a player has to be signed to give depth to the AAA team, or to put a 5th starter in the AAA team's rotation. Those signings are of guys like Gotay.

If he hits .500 in AAA, then he will become a backup on the major league roster. If he hits .250 in AAA, then he will be a backup in AAA. Nothing more, nothing less.

BucFan, I just completed my prospective rosters for our minor league affiliates at Indy, Altoona, and Lynchburg. (West Virginia was just too much of a crap shoot).
I have Ford starting at 2b, and Bixler at SS, with Luis Cruz as the primary INF reserve. For this reason, I see no room for Gotay. Even if Cruz makes our opening roster as 25th man (I hope not), we have guys like Pedro Lopez and Machado available for reserve duty. Altoona's middle infield is similarly crowded.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered with a Gotay signing but the more you look, the less you see a place for him. In other words, with all due respect, I still just don't get it.

What if Cruz goes to AA to start the season? He only had 35 games at AAA, so maybe he starts AA or gets sent down if he struggles at AAA?...Also what about a back up for Walker and at 1st? Pearce will probably start in Indy out in the OF, so I'm guessing Phillips is at 1st base, so Gotay is their backup...Theres also the possibility that if Walker gets hot, it might be time to be moving him to a different position if the team wants to give him a shot at the big league level if LaRoche is playing well...

Gotay looks like a nice insurance policy at AAA for any possible trade involving Freddy or Jack in which Bixler or Ford or Cruz is called up...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:52 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Andy Marte
Ron Wright
Eric Hinske
Will Ohman
Daniel Moskos
Ruben Gotay

Damn, I was just going to start a thread on JJ Davis and Carlos Rivera.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:59 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Andy Marte
Ron Wright
Eric Hinske
Will Ohman
Daniel Moskos
Ruben Gotay

Damn, I was just going to start a thread on JJ Davis and Carlos Rivera.

Its either discussing crappy players or the importance of the sac bunt?

If a sac bunt discussion takes place, lets try to get the "NH Must Go" page to 100...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Andy Marte
Ron Wright
Eric Hinske
Will Ohman
Daniel Moskos
Ruben Gotay

Is Craig Wilson still available? If he could get 500 AB's...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:09 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Andy Marte
Ron Wright
Eric Hinske
Will Ohman
Daniel Moskos
Ruben Gotay

Makes Eric Hinske look like a darn good player, being in that infinitely shallow talent pool.

Talent pool of players discussed recently on UPPMB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:33 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Makes Eric Hinske look like a darn good player, being in that infinitely shallow talent pool.

Hinske is Babe Ruth like comparatively speaking.

That's a nice lawn, wish mine looked like that............man I'm getting old!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 pm 

For god's sake, I hope Gotay makes the team so that whenever he comes to bat at PNC, we can be treated to the following on the jumbotron:

GO-TAY!

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
For god's sake, I hope Gotay makes the team so that whenever he comes to bat at PNC, we can be treated to the following on the jumbotron:

GO-TAY!

Nice ...