Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates sign Gotay
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:11 pm 

Quote:
The Pirates signed veteran infielder Ruben Gotay to a minor league contract.

Gotay, 27, has spent parts of the past four seasons in the majors, including 88 games with the Atlanta Braves in 2008. He batted .235 with two home runs, eight RBIs and a steal. His career average is .255. Although he has spent most of his career at second base, he also played third last season for Atlanta and five games at shortstop the previous season with the New York Mets.

It was not immediately clear if he will be part of major league camp.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Pirates sign Gotay
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:07 pm 

I know it's just a minor league signing, but I still don't get it. Gotay is not what this team needs. He can't hit lefties and this team needs help on the bench vs. lefties more than anything else right now.

He's just a guy who will get PT instead of someone else we really should be looking at. He won't even play at AAA, with Ford at 2b and Walker at 3b.

Stupid move, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 pm 

Low risk, low reward.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:48 pm 

Syr - the fact that you find no value in deals like these and trading for Jason Jaramillo make me wonder if you know anything about the sport of baseball. Sure, you want more losing seasons, but with these type of signings, my playoff tickets are locked up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:54 pm 

Actually, this is the type of signing NH should be making to fill his bench.

This has been a trend two years in a row now...NH has gone out early in the offseason and spent some dough on a utility guy (Chris Gomez, Ramon Vazquez) when it is clear that reasonable bench options (for a losing team, anyways) are always available in late Feb/March on minor league deals (Doug M, Luis Rivas, Ruben Gotay). They may not be as good (ok, Luis Rivas flat out sucks), but the last thing a team coming off a 67 win season should be worried about is the bench. Further, if you have determined that Brian Bixler and Luis Cruz are not true prospects (I certainly have), then they are additional bench options (conversely, I would never advocate using a true prospect in a bench role). It is curious to me why we would be in such a rush to sign bench guys earlier in the offseason. Granted, if we anticipated competing for a playoff spot, I would advocate signing your first choice for bench guys as early as possible. I just don't think that applies to our situation.

EDIT to add that I really don't think it is a big deal, just pointing out something I've noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm 

Your last sentence says it all for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 pm 

Not a bad signing.It's a low risk signing.If he ends up having a good spring he will be a good bench player just because of the fact that he can play most of the positions that we are weak at and he has some speed also which will be a good fit as a pinch-runner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:35 pm 

At some point, can we at least concede that even a low risk signing is worthless if the guy stinks?

And yes, I agree its no big deal at all. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:07 am 

For the 10th straight year, I will point out the following:

Indianapolis has a team. The Pirates are obligated to put 25 players on that roster. Sometimes a player has to be signed to give depth to the AAA team, or to put a 5th starter in the AAA team's rotation. Those signings are of guys like Gotay.

If he hits .500 in AAA, then he will become a backup on the major league roster. If he hits .250 in AAA, then he will be a backup in AAA. Nothing more, nothing less.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:19 am 

Bucfan wrote:

Indianapolis has a team. The Pirates are obligated to put 25 players on that roster. Sometimes a player has to be signed to give depth to the AAA team, or to put a 5th starter in the AAA team's rotation. Those signings are of guys like Gotay.

If he hits .500 in AAA, then he will become a backup on the major league roster. If he hits .250 in AAA, then he will be a backup in AAA. Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree 100% and i think he is a good fit for our AAA team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 am 

Kingston wrote:
At some point, can we at least concede that even a low risk signing is worthless if the guy stinks?

Depends on the stinkage and the money. It's a sliding scale.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:08 am 

At the time of the article no one was sure if he had an invite to Spring Training...

The update says he is going to Minor League Camp...He's bound to Indy

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:13 am 

Bucfan wrote:

EXACTLY! Why can't people realize this. Every team in baseball signs these type of guys for AAA teams. Check the waiver wire for God sakes!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:41 am 

To be honest, we have not as a rule signed exsperienced major leaguers with the intent of placing them in the minors. While it is possible, recent history dictates for most it's major leagues. Have been a few but they generally are the exception.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:56 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Non, sub, non... DL was famous for stuffing the minors with veterans.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:44 am 

Last year they were a bit younger at Indy but 2007's roster was filled with has beens and nobodys. Probably also another sign of how Huntington is trying to "gut" the system and get more quality at every level. But as Bucfan stated you have to have a 25 man roster at AAA too and the occasional veteran finds his way there. Then if due to injury you need someone for a short fill you have somebody who has a bit of experience to bring up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:22 pm 

Don't forget, this particular "veteran" is 27 years old....about the same age as many of our prospects. He may still have an upside.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:28 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

BucFan, I just completed my prospective rosters for our minor league affiliates at Indy, Altoona, and Lynchburg. (West Virginia was just too much of a crap shoot).
I have Ford starting at 2b, and Bixler at SS, with Luis Cruz as the primary INF reserve. For this reason, I see no room for Gotay. Even if Cruz makes our opening roster as 25th man (I hope not), we have guys like Pedro Lopez and Machado available for reserve duty. Altoona's middle infield is similarly crowded.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered with a Gotay signing but the more you look, the less you see a place for him. In other words, with all due respect, I still just don't get it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:44 pm 

I stand corrected ZM, thank you. But if DL was the one who thought we should do that, don't we know it didn't work. Perhaps the saving grace is that he is only 27. I still think we should have only gone this direction to shore up the bench and maybe use his speed. Yes I'm sure he was cheap, so I guess not much hurt by doing it, but odds of him helping are also long.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:26 pm 

Look, when someone takes the trouble to start a thread about a player signing, Im gonna assume its not to discuss the merits of this player being a minor league scrub. Yes, we all know that anyone who played for the Braves in '08 is capable of being a minor league scrub without it having the slightest negative impact on the organization as a whole. Great. The issue for me is whether this guy has any value whatsoever beyond that of an Indy spacefiller.