Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2133
I sure hope he comes around. Otherwise I dislike the Bay trade more and more. I think you knew what you were getting in Moss, and Hansen was/is a project with huge upside. And the Morris kid is a little too far off to project. But it was LaRoche and his huge potential that made the deal really good at the time.

I, for some reason, have a bad feeling about him. It's not just the bad numbers he had, but the lack of effort I saw from him. Now you hear he didn't do some routine exercises to help his back condition. I would like to see the work ethic equal the potential. And lastly back injuries can be a career long thing even with proper exercise and medical care. I'm going to cross my fingers but I'm not real enthused at this point. Just my two cents....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 637
PirateParrot wrote:
It's not just the bad numbers he had, but the lack of effort I saw from him. Now you hear he didn't do some routine exercises to help his back condition. I would like to see the work ethic equal the potential. Just my two cents....


Yes, thats my 2 cents, too.

We all know he has talent and upside. But like Yogi said, "90 percent of the game is half mental". This kid better start to figure out that talent isnt enough.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
Lost in all this hubbub is that the OP omitted a crucial detail: Andy also admitted that his back "felt great" all off-season, which may not completely ameliorate the situation, but at least makes the explanation why he strayed from his doctors' advice a little more understandable.

Where was this fly-off-the-handle version of Kingston when Alvarez showed up out-of-shape to mini-camp?

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 637
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Lost in all this hubbub is that the OP omitted a crucial detail: Andy also admitted that his back "felt great" all off-season, which may not completely ameliorate the situation, but at least makes the explanation why he strayed from his doctors' advice a little more understandable.

Where was this fly-off-the-handle version of Kingston when Alvarez showed up out-of-shape to mini-camp?



I was right here, fully aware that the 2 situations werent comparable.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
Kingston wrote:
I was right here, fully aware that the 2 situations werent comparable.

Yeah, you're right.

Laroche had a poor but plausible excuse for not following his winter conditioning regimen. Pedro, after showing up doughy to Fall Instructional League as well, did not.

I'm not going to belabor this because ultimately, I don't think these problems will amount to a hill of beans for either Laroche or Alvarez. I just find your Jekyll-and-Jeremy act curious is all.

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 637
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Kingston wrote:
I was right here, fully aware that the 2 situations werent comparable.

Yeah, you're right.

Laroche had a poor but plausible excuse for not following his winter conditioning regimen. Pedro, after showing up doughy to Fall Instructional League as well, did not.

I'm not going to belabor this because ultimately, I don't think these problems will amount to a hill of beans for either Laroche or Alvarez. I just find your Jekyll-and-Jeremy act curious is all.


No one was happy or preferred it that Alvarez came to mini-camp in bad shape. But to me he was just a kid out of college who just became a millionaire and maybe lost his head or his focus for a brief while. While not thrilled by this, I understood it, and since he had not yet begun his pro career, I felt there was plenty of time for him to get his priorities back in order. And it seems that he has, which I assumed he would.

Laroche is different. Hes older, a major leaguer, and his stock took a huge hit at the major league level over the course of a full season due to a lingering injury. You would think that he would come into camp having done everything necessary to ensure a healthy and productive 2009. That he didnt was far more alarming than the Alvarez situation.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
Kingston wrote:
You would think that he would come into camp having done everything necessary to ensure a healthy and productive 2009.

Yes, and moreover, I believe he probably felt he had done just that until the moment that his back started troubling him again. I don't get the sense that Andy spent the winter playing Guitar Hero until it was time to report to Bradenton. His offseason sessions with Don Long indicate to me at least that he was intent on putting his horrific '08 performance behind him.

He was guilty of a stupid lapse of judgement. Two of them actually: not following doctor's orders after the symptoms of his condition went away, and disclosing to the press that he didn't follow doctor's orders. Without doubt, he deserves criticism. After all, he's going to miss the all-important spring training opener!

I'm not about to castigate one player for his poor judgment while giving the organization's top prospect a mulligan for what amounts to largely the same poor judgment. (And let's be clear: Laroche may have a few years and 300 some-odd MLB at bats on Alvarez, but it's not like we're talking about a seasoned vet here.) There's plenty of finger-wagging to go around (including some reserved for John Russell and the FO, who perhaps should be keeping closer tabs on their players' off-season habits), and plenty of opportunity for both of them to redeem themselves.

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 637
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Kingston wrote:
You would think that he would come into camp having done everything necessary to ensure a healthy and productive 2009.

Yes, and moreover, I believe he probably felt he had done just that until the moment that his back started troubling him again. I don't get the sense that Andy spent the winter playing Guitar Hero until it was time to report to Bradenton. His offseason sessions with Don Long indicate to me at least that he was intent on putting his horrific '08 performance behind him.

He was guilty of a stupid lapse of judgement. Two of them actually: not following doctor's orders after the symptoms of his condition went away, and disclosing to the press that he didn't follow doctor's orders. Without doubt, he deserves criticism. After all, he's going to miss the all-important spring training opener!

I'm not about to castigate one player for his poor judgment while giving the organization's top prospect a mulligan for what amounts to largely the same poor judgment. (And let's be clear: Laroche may have a few years and 300 some-odd MLB at bats on Alvarez, but it's not like we're talking about a seasoned vet here.) There's plenty of finger-wagging to go around (including some reserved for John Russell and the FO, who perhaps should be keeping closer tabs on their players' off-season habits), and plenty of opportunity for both of them to redeem themselves.


I appreciate that opinion. I just disagree with it. No need to restate why.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 1163
Hey! I wasn't the only one who blasted Krispy Kreme Alvarez.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 384
Kingston wrote:
Ive supported this kid. I felt his late and lousy 2008 was injury related. Like most of you, I looked forward to him coming to camp this year healthy and ready to show what he can really do. Today, I read this:

Third baseman Andy LaRoche (back spasms) will not be ready for Wednesday's Grapefruit League opener against Philadelphia

Three years ago, LaRoche was troubled by a protruding disc. This injury is in the same spot.

"This offseason I didn't really stick with (the exercises) like I should," LaRoche said. "I guess the doctors were right when they said I'll have to stick with them for the rest of my career."



Are you kidding me? After what happened last season, you have the freakin nerve to not do virtually everything and anything you can to ensure youre health. Maybe these current back issues are minor, but still, youd risk yet another lingering injury that could lead to another lost season when one more lost season could very well be the last nail in your career's coffin?? "I guess the doctors were right"? Huh? What kind of arrogant little bonehead are you?


This is hilarious. Does this actually IMPLY that it would make a DIFFERENCE if Andy LaRoche were healthy? LOL.

A minor league baseball player, is a minor league baseball player, whether healthy OR injured.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:39 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6196
Hey Slaphead, is that a Stephen Colbert wag of the finger?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
For you, AZ, sure.

Image

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Andy Laroche Just Lost Me
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:41 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6196
That made my day.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], buccosfan77 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits