Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIRST HAND ACCOUNT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:59 pm 

As soon as I get home I will share a few very cool tales about the practices I attended in Bradenton Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I will also post some very cool pictures. One thing I came away with and will tease you with is that Jack Wilson is a very cool dude. The bond between him and Freedy is real. It will be hard on the Pirates if and when Jack leaves.

Story 1: As Jack Wilson was taking BP on Friday he broke is woody. He sought out a trainer so he could get some tape. It wasnt easy to get the tape. After getting it he taped the bat handle where it had broken and then took it to a young boy just hanging around. Way above the ordinary effort.

More later

Post subject: Re: FIRST HAND ACCOUNT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:29 pm 

Steelkings wrote:
Story 1: As Jack Wilson was taking BP on Friday he broke is woody.
More later

Broke his "woody" thought you were talking about something else there for a second! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 pm 

Presented a very painful picture. Please be careful as most are sensetive to that kind of image. Ouch!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:41 am 

Steelkings....I am absolutely waiting for the stories and pictures, but this woody thing is TOOOO easy. So, let me get this straight (pun intended). Jack breaks off a woody, has trouble getting it taped and gives it to a kid while hanging out?

Sorry, we can't help ourselves....kinda like talking to sophmores, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:03 pm 

About 9:30 in the AM. No charge to get in. Just a short drive to the complex. There are two brand new infields that are being set up for the Thursday Practice. Just the smell of freshly cut grass was worth my 90 dollar plane ticket.

The Bucco's starting infield is loosing up. I ask and find out that I am going to see infield progressions today. Its really windy as a cold front is moving through. The locals complain heavily as the temps wont climb above 65 that day. Of course its 22 degrees with 5 inches of snow in Pittsburgh that day. Heres story number 1.

You will notice the pitching machine sitting on home plate. It is there to throw pop ups to the infielders. Thats right! Even major league coaches cant consistantly hit them with a fungo. Anyway, iT is really windy. REALLY WINDY! Perry Hill sets the pitching machine and tosses the first ball high in the air. Freddy yells; "I got it, I got it, I got it!" He starts out 20 feet behind 2nd base and continues in until the ball bounces in the grass just in front of home plate. Jack Wilson is laughing his ass off and teasing Freddy. Hill yells to Freddy to wait until the ball is at its peak to call it. Hill puts another ball in the machine and the wind carries it well into the parking lot where it lands between two parked cars. All the players are laughing now. It became obvious very fast that this was a tight knit group of friends, as well as ball players.

Wilson and Bixler work on Infield progressions.
NOTE* The Coaching staff really worked hard all three days I was three with Bixler at 2nd base. Tons of stuff. Way more than anyone else. Just wondering why? I mean lots of work at 2nd.

These are the inside dummys. The Pitching coaches were working on throwing the ball in on the front elbow of the hitter. The coaches explained that they were trying to get the pitchers to visually block out the hitter. Good stuff. That blue Cubs dummy went away bruised.

Lots more later dudes and dudettes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 pm 

Nice job, Steelkings. Like the bullpen with the batter cut-out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:37 am 

great post here.Nice work steelking.Are we looking to sign either of those dummies to play outfield for us?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:58 am 

Great pictures!!! I can smell the grass from here. Sorry to hear Jack laughed his ass off....he probably didn't get his woody screwed back on right. Anyway, keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:14 am 

A couple of years ago at Spring Training my daughter was wearing her Jack Wilson jersey. He's always been her favorite...she would've been 6 at the time. Jack was signing and got almost to us when he said he didn't have time, he'd try to get to us later. We never saw him again until the National Anthem. After it was over, he literally ran over to my daughter and son and signed their baseballs on his way to getting his glove from the dugout to take the field. Definitely over and above what most guys would do.

At Milwaukee last year, Freddy was signing for a crowd that was mostly Brewers fans. My son had his Sanchez jersey on, but we were a few rows back in the crowd getting autographs. Freddy finally said "gotta go" and disappeared into the dugout. I yelled "can you sign his jersey?" and Freddy popped right back out and said take it off and throw it down here. He gave my son a memory he'll never forget. It's pretty cool, the wins and losses don't mean nearly as much as these kinds of things to grade schoolers. Both great guys. Jason Bay also signed my son's jersey at that spring training.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:38 am 

Good stuff, SK. Maybe it's just me, but every time I see the cutout batters, I think of the scene in the movie Major League where Wild Thing Vaughn throws a pitch at the cutout batter's head and the head comes off. Were you able to see Alvarez or Tabata bat? The news reports about the two have been gushing so far. I hope to see some ST action myself this Sunday against the Tigers in Bradenton. If I do end up making the trip, a game report will follow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:27 am 

Great pics SK! You are lucky!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:27 pm 

Great to see those pictures. Thanks. Also exciting to read of Russell's comments about both Alvarez and Tabata. Ready for games to begin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:30 pm 

Thanks for the pics, SK. Look forward to more stories.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:31 pm 

I read that the Cubs dummys actually beat the Bucs 5 to 2.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:36 pm 

Kingston wrote:

That's probably better than losing to Manatee Community College.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:47 pm 

unemployedahole wrote:
Kingston wrote:

That's probably better than losing to Manatee Community College.

College of former Buccos Alex Cole and Rich Sauveur.

Ever see this place? Its built on a swamp. If Freddy Sanchez disappears Ill know what happened.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:53 pm 

Manatee is supposed to have a pretty decent team this year. They are nationally ranked. We could be in trouble. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We could be in trouble. LOL

I certainly hope not ... Bucfan's refrain every July, for the past 5 years, as the Pirates struggle with yet another losing streak, has been, "Bring on Manatee!!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:55 pm 

If Manatee beats the Pirates...would NH and Frank sign the entire Manatee team?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...