Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hinske to get 400 ABs?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm 

Kingston wrote:
I wouldnt call Hinske a has been. Hes certainly not starter quality, but he did have one of his best power years just last season and im thinking might be helped out by the RF wall.

I agree with those who feel his number of ABs will come down to the sort of season Laroche number 2 has.

Is never was better for you?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Kingston wrote:
I wouldnt call Hinske a has been. Hes certainly not starter quality, but he did have one of his best power years just last season and im thinking might be helped out by the RF wall.

I agree with those who feel his number of ABs will come down to the sort of season Laroche number 2 has.

You say "never was", i say not starter quality. Pretty much the same. But he appears to be as reasonable or solid a backup as hes ever been, a guy capable of hitting around .250 with 20 homers in 400 at bats. I dont have a problem here, especially at the low price.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
Kingston wrote:

You say "never was", i say not starter quality. Pretty much the same. But he appears to be as reasonable or solid a backup as hes ever been, a guy capable of hitting around .250 with 20 homers in 400 at bats. I dont have a problem here, especially at the low price.

I agree. Hinske is a solid bench player. What makes me wonder is, how can he be a bench player on one of the worst teams in baseball?

If he does get to 400 AB and puts up the numbers you say, it will be a moot point, and Hinske will have been a bargain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:49 pm 

Quote:
Prime of his career? That made me spit out my iced tea!

If he was as good as you make him out to be, someone else would have snapped him up a long before Pittsburgh could get to him. He signed with the Bucs because he's a has been who's looking for one more half way decent pay day before he takes the cross Pacific trek to finish his career in Japan.

Jeremy,

What age do you consider to be a baseball player's prime? If 31 is past it, it can't be by much.

How good did I make Hinske out to be? All I said is that he's a solid vetran and I'm glad we have him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Quote:
Prime of his career? That made me spit out my iced tea!

If he was as good as you make him out to be, someone else would have snapped him up a long before Pittsburgh could get to him. He signed with the Bucs because he's a has been who's looking for one more half way decent pay day before he takes the cross Pacific trek to finish his career in Japan.

Jeremy,

What age do you consider to be a baseball player's prime? If 31 is past it, it can't be by much.

How good did I make Hinske out to be? All I said is that he's a solid vetran and I'm glad we have him.

Guys like Hinske don't have primes. They have a couple of seasons where they're slightly above average.

He's a veteran, I'll gladly give you that. Beyond that, eh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 am 

Clearly you don't understand the meaning of the term.

Saying that Hinske is in the prime of his career simply means that he is at an age where his abilities are still at or near their peak, for him. It has nothing to do with his abilities relative to that of other players.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 pm 

Pardon a long post. Like many of you, I toss lineups around in my head, and one problem for our '09 Bucs seems certain: we will suffer when Doumit is out of the lineup. And, as he is a catcher, there's no getting around the need for a backup plan.

Here's what I would do, and the connection to this Hinske thread:
With Doumit vs RHSP, you might try this lineup, at least at PNC ...
McLouth, Morgan, Sanchez, Doumit, Ad. LaRoche, Moss, An. LaRoche, Wilson, Pitcher
To make up for the loss of Doumit, I would insert Vasquez at SS and Hinske at 3b, resulting in ...
McLouth, Morgan, Sanchez, Ad LaRoche, Hinske, Moss, Vasquez, Jaramillo/Diaz, Pitcher

We have an awful lineup vs. lefty pitching but removing Doumit from it must, again, be compensated for as best we can.
With Doumit vs LHSP, you might try this lineup, at least at PNC ...
McLouth, Wilson, Sanchez, Doumit, Pearce (in 1b or rf), An LaRoche, Moss/Ad.LaRoche (see Pearce), Morgan, Pitcher
To make up for the loss of Doumit, I would insert a righty bench bat into the lineup: Phillips, Monroe - even Andy Marte, resulting in ...
McLouth, Wilson, Sanchez, Pearce (in 1b or rf), An. LaRoche, Phillips/Monroe, Moss/Ad.LaRoche (see Pearce), Jaramillo/Diaz, Pitcher

This assumes that Jaramillo or Diaz doesn't hit well enough to bat anywhere but the 8 spot.

I would play Nyjer Morgan in LF at PNC, and Hinske in LF on the road vs RHSP until things shake out. McLouth and Sanchez would get breathers from Morgan and Vasquez. I would try to keep Freddy's days off to righty starters, so as to best use Vasquez and help keep us presentable vs. lefties.

And yes, I know Freddy is not a prototypical #3 hitter. I hope that Andy LaRoche or Brandon Moss can improve and move into the heart of the order, where they would certainly supply more power. But for the time being, a former batting champ who hits a lot of doubles might be our best bet. I hate to move Nate McLouth from where he does best - which seems to be leadoff.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading such along post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:29 pm 

Syr -
I can see why Az and Bucfan spoke highly of you after you joined the UPPMB. Nice thoughtful post. Probably pretty close to what the Skipper will do as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:53 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Syr -
I can see why Az and Bucfan spoke highly of you after you joined the UPPMB. Nice thoughtful post. Probably pretty close to what the Skipper will do as well.

Thanks for the kind words, #9. But the skipper almost never does what I think he should do when it comes to lineups!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:07 am 

SyrBucco wrote:
But the skipper almost never does what I think he should do when it comes to lineups!

I'm guessing politics. I can't see Wilson sitting against RHPs unless he's hurt. They'll be looking to dump him come July and that move could be construed as detrimental to his worth.

But I do agree with 9, nice post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:59 am 

I know McLouth was lights out as a leadoff hitter but with THIS team THIS year(not to mention the new contract) I can't imagine him not being the #3 hitter. Not sure I'd want Morgan hitting #2 behind him(not sure I want him hitting anywhere to be honest). Of course we all know that is one of the Pirates problems. No true middle of the lineup bats. That's why I say, because of the team construction, you almost have to hit McLouth third, with Morgan leading off and Freddy second. Then cross your fingers and hope Morgan can actually get on base. If he does obviously he makes a great leadoff hitter.

As far as McLouth goes...if he is the real deal he will do fine hitting third. In my opinion he will have to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:16 pm 

Too early to make decisions on line up. Let's see what shakes out in these games before putting things in concrete. Freddy has gained some pounds and claims he wants to be a three. And I'm not so sure the outfield has been determined yet. I for one like hearing suggestions but want to hold my thoughts until we see some game results by all the guys and especially new guys.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
I know McLouth was lights out as a leadoff hitter but with THIS team THIS year(not to mention the new contract) I can't imagine him not being the #3 hitter. Not sure I'd want Morgan hitting #2 behind him(not sure I want him hitting anywhere to be honest). Of course we all know that is one of the Pirates problems. No true middle of the lineup bats. That's why I say, because of the team construction, you almost have to hit McLouth third, with Morgan leading off and Freddy second. Then cross your fingers and hope Morgan can actually get on base. If he does obviously he makes a great leadoff hitter.

As far as McLouth goes...if he is the real deal he will do fine hitting third. In my opinion he will have to.

PP, I agree, but with one caveat, McLouth can't move to 3rd until Morgan proves he can bat leadoff. McLouth will be more valuable in the three hole. His splits last year would seem to indicate otherwise, but I'm hoping his bad showing batting third was just fatigue related. I don't have a lot of faith in Morgan and hope McCutchen will make the jump sooner, not later.

Freddy and Jack aren't really top of the order guys, and if you throw in a poor showing by Morgan, the top of the order would be putrid without Nate. That's why I'd leave Nate at leadoff until Morgan shows us something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:37 pm 

Please don't interpret this as support for Nyjer Morgan because I am not a fan of his by any stretch, but the fact is that he has an OBP of over .350 thus far in the big leagues.

No, I personally expect that to last, but he hasn't yet demonstrated that he CAN'T get on base. That, combined with the fact that we need someone who can hit the ball batting 3rd leads me to lean towards Nyjer-Freddy-Nate for the top of the order, at least to start.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:27 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

SyrBucco wrote:
Pardon a long post. Like many of you, I toss lineups around in my head, and one problem for our '09 Bucs seems certain: we will suffer when Doumit is out of the lineup. And, as he is a catcher, there's no getting around the need for a backup plan...

That made my head hurt. But, that is a compliment.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:19 pm 

Im tired of hearing all this Nyjer Morgan negativity. I dont care what logic or common sense say. I say .290/.350 with 40 steals. Everyone thought Willie Mays was gonna be a bum, too. Alright, thats a flat out lie. Im reaching here. But the fact that so many are down on Nyjer makes me wanna root for the guy all the more. Go Nyjer!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 am 

Argentum wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09050/950193-63.stm

Quote:
Having Hinske contribute his career averages of 15 homers, 57 RBIs in roughly 400 at-bats and serve as an upstanding role model is part of the Pirates' plan. Last month, when signing the one-year, $1.5 million free-agent contract that could pay him another $1 million in performance bonuses, he was told to expect regular playing time at the corner positions and a vital role.

Sorry, but if this guys elevated to regular status, NH and crew lose quite a few points in my book.

When you can fill in at four positions you're going to get over 300 ABs right there. I don't care if he gets 500 ABs, as long as they're all against right handers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:29 am 

Argentum wrote:
I may be making more out of this than necessary, but a soon to be 32 year old ball player with a one year contract is not the kind of player the Pirates should be counting on to be a big contributor. Just my $0.02.

The real question is who is he blocking? As far as I can see, the answer is, "nobody". McCutcheon isn't ready yet, and it looks to me as if Pearce never really will be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 am 

Kingston wrote:
Im tired of hearing all this Nyjer Morgan negativity. I dont care what logic or common sense say. I say .290/.350 with 40 steals. Everyone thought Willie Mays was gonna be a bum, too. Alright, thats a flat out lie. Im reaching here. But the fact that so many are down on Nyjer makes me wanna root for the guy all the more. Go Nyjer!

I'll be rooting for him, too. He's like a ray of sunshine in interviews, and he's exciting to watch in the field and on the bases. That being said, most likely we're both in for a disappointment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:54 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Argentum wrote:
I may be making more out of this than necessary, but a soon to be 32 year old ball player with a one year contract is not the kind of player the Pirates should be counting on to be a big contributor. Just my $0.02.

The real question is who is he blocking? As far as I can see, the answer is, "nobody". McCutcheon isn't ready yet, and it looks to me as if Pearce never really will be.

250-300 ABs is fine, but the closer we get to 400 is an indication of how bad things are going in my opinion. Hinske at 400+ ABs means 1) someone got hurt 2) someone crapped the bed 3) Hinske has naked pis of someone high up in the chain of command.