Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Salaries
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:
Well if that's the case, then the Pirates do not have to pay Duke anything and can non-tender him if they so choose.

Uhhh, true, but what does that have to do with Duke's true worth?

Willton wrote:
I would hope that a Major League Baseball organization would be a little bit more sophisticated than the people who got caught up in the housing bubble after it burst.

The Pirates are in no better position for negotiating a better deal than were people looking for a home at the top of the market. Both were forced to pay more than the actual value for the asset, due to market conditions.

That's ridiculous. The Pirates were not forced to pay Duke a cent. They were free to release him and replace him with a pitcher who makes the major league minimum.

By the way, nobody stuck a gun to the head of any of those homebuyers, either.

Post subject: Re: Salaries
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:07 am 

BBF wrote:
So let me ask those who think the salary structure is out of control a question...

Let's say player salaries are slashed to whatever it is you think is an appropriate value (which, actually, I'd like to know what you think a "fair" going rate for a #5 starter should be, just to know how far out of line you think things are). But for the sake of argument, I'll say $1 mil. Will you sleep better at night knowing that Bob Nutting has an extra $1.2 mil in his pocket instead of Zach Duke? Presumably, he'd have a lot more because salaries across the board are cut and you would be able to field a competitive team for a lot less. I'd rather the players benefit financially from the success of major league baseball than the owners benefit even more than they already do.

Or, do you think that the owners would choose to lower ticket prices, etc? I sure don't.

I think that most of those folks think that the average major league player should be making approximately the same amount that he is.

There is absolutely no connection between player salaries and ticket prices. Like any other commodity in the market, the price of tickets is determined by the owner's perception of what the market will bear. Prices are set to maximize revenue.