Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selig an accomplice to 'Steroid Era'
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 pm 

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/200 ... 441254.txt

Post subject: Re: Selig an accomplice to 'Steroid Era'
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:00 pm 

While I do not usually like anything that Mark Madden has to say, the Selig situation is a no-brainer.

He used the players when they were "using" to get his fans back and when all seemed well and good with the relationship between the fans and the game, Selig took the high road claiming ignorance of the whole steriod situation. It was a dirty play, but everyone is basically onto his game. He has done some good things for baseball but I think this whole steroid era and this commissioner should all go away at the same time. Its time to usher in a whole new era of baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 pm 

There is absolutely no question in my mind that Selig must go. If baseball wants a fresh start it needs to clean out its own enanlers. Big Bud wants to take the hard line now that baseball has a problem. Well, to get a new beginning baseball needs not only to make its users criminals but also those who were silent and by silence allowing the problem to fester and in fact increase.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:11 pm 

Selig takes too much blame for the steroid thing, IMO. The union deserves much more culpability for the problem. I do find Selig to be somewhat of a slimeball and I don't know how hard he fought to get a stronger testing policy in place. But, I do believe if he did try to initiate it, it would've been contested at every turn by the union. Which is exactly what Selig contends happened.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:20 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
Selig takes too much blame for the steroid thing, IMO. The union deserves much more culpability for the problem. I do find Selig to be somewhat of a slimeball and I don't know how hard he fought to get a stronger testing policy in place. But, I do believe if he did try to initiate it, it would've been contested at every turn by the union. Which is exactly what Selig contends happened.

Neither Selig nor the owners had any desire to eliminate steroids from the game. They were quite happy to cash checks until Congress got involved.

By the way, I'm still waiting for Congress to investigate steriod use in the NFL, where you can see at least 10-20 steriod monsters on the field for every single game that's played.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Jack Round Tripper wrote:

Neither Selig nor the owners had any desire to eliminate steroids from the game. They were quite happy to cash checks until Congress got involved.

By the way, I'm still waiting for Congress to investigate steriod use in the NFL, where you can see at least 10-20 steriod monsters on the field for every single game that's played.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sports/ ... roids.html

So, Selig is a liar as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

Quite true. Even more troubling when you consider how hard the union pushed for drug testing to protect the players as well as the union and players complaining at every turn about the escalation of salaries. I seem to recall how disappointed the union and players were to have to cash those checks . . . . :roll:

Again, there is plenty of blame to throw towards Selig and the owners. No doubt about it. But . . . the propensity to absolve (or downplay) the union or the players' role continues to amaze me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:45 pm 

Former wrestling star Jesse Ventura even wants Selig indicted.

"In the early '90s, the federal government came into pro wrestling and tried to put Vince McMahon in prison for steroid use of wrestlers," Ventura told a radio station in Denver. "My question is: They've now determined 104 baseball players failed their steroid test in 2003 . . . 104! They indicted Vince McMahon; why aren't they indicting Bud Selig? He's the head of baseball, and it happened on his watch."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:55 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Quite true. Even more troubling when you consider how hard the union pushed for drug testing to protect the players as well as the union and players complaining at every turn about the escalation of salaries. I seem to recall how disappointed the union and players were to have to cash those checks . . . . :roll:

Again, there is plenty of blame to throw towards Selig and the owners. No doubt about it. But . . . the propensity to absolve (or downplay) the union or the players' role continues to amaze me.

I don't. It just happens that the post I was replying to focused on Selig.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:58 pm 

Kingston wrote:

"In the early '90s, the federal government came into pro wrestling and tried to put Vince McMahon in prison for steroid use of wrestlers," Ventura told a radio station in Denver. "My question is: They've now determined 104 baseball players failed their steroid test in 2003 . . . 104! They indicted Vince McMahon; why aren't they indicting Bud Selig? He's the head of baseball, and it happened on his watch."

Jesse is just being a blowhard. 104 out of how many? Over 700, right? What would the percentage of wrestlers have been? Well over 80%, I'd bet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:24 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Jesse is just being a blowhard. 104 out of how many? Over 700, right? What would the percentage of wrestlers have been? Well over 80%, I'd bet.

Why would a percentage matter? Thats not his point.