Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: McLouth extended
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:15 pm 

Can you imagine if the fortunes turn for the Pirates and to have the problem of finding a new position for Andy LaRoche and Neil Walker and having depth with Tabata, Moss, McLouth, McCutchen, and Alvarez? And its not too far off, if all goes well...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:21 pm 

Let's not forget Jamie Romak who could be anything from Big Country to Adam Dunn.

He may end up at 1B, but he's an outfielder at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:09 pm 

If the Pirates had selected Matt Wieters in 2007 ... the simple fact is that the Pirates have a talented contingent of big-time hitters or potential big-time hitters:

McClouth, Doumit, Adam Laroche, Andy Laroche (he is too damn good a hitter not to perform in the majors), McCutchen, Alvarez, Tabata, ... 7 serious hitters. Put Wieters in that mix and the results are pretty intriguing.

Damn Littlefield to hell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:14 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:

I wonder if he is embarrassed at the job he did in Pittsburgh. I would be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:18 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
If the Pirates had selected Matt Wieters in 2007 ... the simple fact is that the Pirates have a talented contingent of big-time hitters or potential big-time hitters:

McClouth, Doumit, Adam Laroche, Andy Laroche (he is too damn good a hitter not to perform in the majors), McCutchen, Alvarez, Tabata, ... 7 serious hitters. Put Wieters in that mix and the results are pretty intriguing.

Really, You can't have both Doumit and Wieters.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:28 pm 

This is great news for the Pirates. Not because they avoided arbitration, but because they signed him long tern into his free agency. Some may worry about him producing more then one year, I don't. In fact, I think it shows that the Pirate management is committed to their plan of bnuilding a quality organization. If it doesn't pan out, at least Bull has to stop the argument about spending. That's Doumit, Maholm, and now McLouth into free agancy with bigger dollars then in the past. No, it's not 100 million but it's not roids either. We look to be on course to me.

Position them where ever you want, we have some good guys who will stay at least for awhile. Now come on Tabita, Alvarez and the rest of the draft picks, and let's go out and get some more top players this year in the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:54 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Really, You can't have both Doumit and Wieters.

ZM

Of course you can. Having two extremely valuable players who play the same position is NOT a "problem."

One of those guys would get a very good return if dealt, or one can be moved to another position, or one can play out his contract and leave via free agency without crippling the team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:32 pm 

Leave it to Smizik to bring the haters back to reality...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... louth.aspx

Quote:
It’s a good fit for everyone but it proves nothing. These are intermediate steps in the right direction. They don’t guarantee a winning team in the future, they only guarantee crucial parts of the puzzle of putting a winning team together are under contract at least through 2011.

Quote:
There is no guarantee all of the players will be with the team through 2011 since none of the deals had a no-trade clause. Let’s not forget Jason Bay was in the midst of a long-term deal, which ran through this season, when the Pirates traded him to the Boston Red Sox in July. If the Pirates continue to struggle to win, there is no reason to believe one or all of these players couldn’t be dealt at the 2010 or 2011 trading deadline.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:36 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Leave it to Smizik to bring the haters back to reality...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... louth.aspx

Quote:
It’s a good fit for everyone but it proves nothing. These are intermediate steps in the right direction. They don’t guarantee a winning team in the future, they only guarantee crucial parts of the puzzle of putting a winning team together are under contract at least through 2011.

Quote:
There is no guarantee all of the players will be with the team through 2011 since none of the deals had a no-trade clause. Let’s not forget Jason Bay was in the midst of a long-term deal, which ran through this season, when the Pirates traded him to the Boston Red Sox in July. If the Pirates continue to struggle to win, there is no reason to believe one or all of these players couldn’t be dealt at the 2010 or 2011 trading deadline.

One step in the right direction is immediately countered with a new reason to be skeptical. So know it's no trade clauses for new deals? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 am 

What does do for his trade value?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

I think the nice thing is that the team is looking ok even if the Laroche brothers don't do anything. If Adam can get over his annual April slump, that will be huge. And I realize the sample size is small for Andy, but I am really not holding out a lot of hope. His numbers in 200+ ABs last year were unbelievably bad. I'll consider it a nice surprise if he turns it around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:10 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

I think the nice thing is that the team is looking ok even if the Laroche brothers don't do anything. If Adam can get over his annual April slump, that will be huge. And I realize the sample size is small for Andy, but I am really not holding out a lot of hope. His numbers in 200+ ABs last year were unbelievably bad. I'll consider it a nice surprise if he turns it around.

What is your definition of OK?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:29 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
And I realize the sample size is small for Andy, but I am really not holding out a lot of hope. His numbers in 200+ ABs last year were unbelievably bad. I'll consider it a nice surprise if he turns it around.

Laroche's minor league performance shows that he is a combination of the best attributes of a hitter: he hits for average, power, walks and lot, has a high OBP, and a high slugging percentage.

In the minors, Laroche has combined career figures of .295/.382/.517. His .899 OPS in the minors compares favorably to guys like David Wright (.861 OPS in the minors) and Ryan Zimmerman (.933 OPS). Granted, he is a bit older than those guys, who dominated the minors at ages 19-20, but he has hit at every level, every time, without exception.

Those kind of hitters, particularly those who command the strike zone, have a pretty good success rate in the majors.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:34 pm 

Someone ought to mention to Smizik that nothing in baseball comes with a guarantee.