Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McLouth extended
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:44 am 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09048/949698-100.stm

Really thought this was headed to arb.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: McLouth extended
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19 am 

Good. Now if everything goes to plan, we have our LF locked up for the next 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:50 am 

great news.i dont know about having the rest of the outfield put together for the next 4 year.plus i am also holding out hope that Nate isn't just another 1 year wonder Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 am 

I'd like to see Brandon Moss have a breakout year and then we could solidify LF and RF for at least the next 2-3 years until Tabata is ready.

If everyone lives up to the billing,

LF McLouth
CF McCutchen
RF McMoss

would look pretty nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:19 pm 

I'm curious to hear what the terms are. And to see whether Nate's numbers will continue their yearly improvement. He had a solid year in '08, but I really hope management didn't overreact to a one year OPS of .850.

Regarding positions, shouldn't Nate stay in center, given that he's won a gold glove? I don't know if McCutchen has the arm to play in right, but I thought it would be:

LF Moss
CF McLouth
RF McCutchen/Tabata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:41 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
I'm curious to hear what the terms are. And to see whether Nate's numbers will continue their yearly improvement. He had a solid year in '08, but I really hope management didn't overreact to a one year OPS of .850.

Regarding positions, shouldn't Nate stay in center, given that he's won a gold glove? I don't know if McCutchen has the arm to play in right, but I thought it would be:

LF Moss
CF McLouth
RF McCutchen/Tabata

Playing LF at PNC takes some serious range ability. Not sure that Moss is a good fit there. Thinking that McLouth or McCutcheon is a better fit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:45 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:

LF Moss
CF McLouth
RF McCutchen/Tabata

I'll second what No.9 says about Moss not being suited to cover LF at PNC, so put him in right. Also, I'm not certain that winning a gold glove is validation that one is a great defender. I think most people will tell you McLouth is average to slightly below average CF, and most metrics will say he is even worse than that. I think he is probably best suited to move to left and let McCutchen take over CF.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:53 pm 

McLouth won a GG at center but his range was largely in question by many doubters. Moving forward, McLouth is exactly the type of player that fits into LF at PNC, which is basically an outfielder with average to above average CF skills. Hitting for power doesn't hurt either. Frankly, the outfield with McCutchen in center could offer well above average defensive prowess. Moss has the arm in right, McCutchen is supposed to have the range and above average arm in center and McLouth possessing quality CF defensive skills to cover the LF expanse.

I think we may be onto something here, providing Moss and McCutchen live up to the promised offense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:01 pm 

Here are the numbers courtesy of DK

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... -deal.aspx

$15.75 million guaranteed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:04 pm 

Not bad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:06 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Not bad

I think NH did extrememly well:

Quote:
There is a $1.5 million signing bonus and salaries of $2 million this coming season, $4.5 million next season, $6.5 million in 2011. The club option for 2012 is $10.65 million, with a $1.25 million buyout. There also are performance bonuses that can be as much as $500,000 for 2010 and 2011, as much as $750,000 in 2012. The bonuses are based on awards. Finally, there is the now-standard Pirates Charities clause in which McLouth will donate $25,000 of his salary each year to a cause of his and the team's choosing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:10 pm 

Luckily Moss has some experience in the Minors at 1st base, so if LaRoche gets traded or doesnt sign next season, Pearce doesnt work out, and Tabata is ready next season, Moss could probably make the move to 1st...

I'm very curious as to what Moss can do this season with regular playing time...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:13 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Luckily Moss has some experience in the Minors at 1st base, so if LaRoche gets traded or doesnt sign next season, Pearce doesnt work out, and Tabata is ready next season, Moss could probably make the move to 1st...

I'm very curious as to what Moss can do this season with regular playing time...

I am too

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm 

Fair enough. I haven't taken a good look at McLouth's defensive metrics, so I can't say for sure whether it was a genuine gold glove or not. I was assuming it wasn't a reputation-based GG. Obviously if McCutchen is better in center, he should be there, but we probably won't know that for a bit.

$15.75 million guaranteed sounds completely reasonable to me. At least that won't cripple the team if he doesn't live up to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:33 pm 

Nate is average as a CFer due to his range...His routes to the ball are very good, when the ball is hit to the OF, he knows where it is going, which helps with his lack of range...His defense may shine even more in LF once McCutchen is ready...

Overall Nate is a very good OFer

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:46 pm 

Ill gladly take 20/20 for the next 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:15 pm 

If Moss can hit, particularly left-handers, he will play in RF. He is an average defender in terms of range and speed in the OF, but has an absolute cannon for an arm. He was clocked at 94 mph while throwing from the mound in 2007, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:58 pm 

People are leaving Tabata out of the next four years outfield mix.

I go along with the McLouth LF/McCutchen CF/Moss RF projection, but Tabata could easily be the best of the lot.

Aahhh....to finally have some depth.

Last edited by RDV across the sea on Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:09 pm 

Be hilarious if Nyjer Morgan can hit .290 and steal 30 bases. Not that Im holding my breath.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:10 pm 

RDV across the sea wrote:
People are leaving Tabata out of the next four years outfield mix.

I go along with the McLouth LF/McCutchen CF/Moss RF projection. But Tabata could easily be the best of the lot.

Aarh....to finally have some depth.

If you really wan to go nuts, Dustin Ackley, who many believe the Pirates will take first in this year's draft, converted from OF to 1B. Once drafted he is expected to follow a Alvarez like path to the majors. Theoretically he could be ready to get the call some time in 2010.

Depth indeed.