Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Will Ohman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:41 pm 

So Ohman signs a minor league deal with the Dodgers after the Bucs offered him a major league deal. Gee, I guess NH just isn't trying hard enough.
:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:51 pm 

BBF wrote:
So Ohman signs a minor league deal with the Dodgers after the Bucs offered him a major league deal. Gee, I guess NH just isn't trying hard enough.
:roll:

That's disheartening but not surprisng. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:57 pm 

SyrBucco wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
I really like Burnett and i think he is one of the best under 30 relievers on our major league roster right now.I also think he will be back to being a starter again in the near future.

And you base this on what? Certainly not on Burnett's splits, which show that he is ill-equipped to get the average mix of batters out - which would include a lot of righties.

Burnett is a LOOGY. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Every team should have one. We even have a ROOGY. His name is Yates.

I like this SYRBucco fella....he knows people at the Pelican. Helllloooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:43 am 

Will Ohman: The definition of the prototypical "13th pitcher" on the roster. The guy is a LOOGY.

The day that the Bucco's LOOGY means something will be the day that they are carrying a lot of leads into the 8th inning. In other words, not right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:05 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
I really like Burnett and i think he is one of the best under 30 relievers on our major league roster right now.I also think he will be back to being a starter again in the near future.

I will offer 10 cookies against your 1 cookie that Burnett never starts another game in the majors, and 100 cookies against your 1 cookie that, even if he does, he will end up with an ERA over 6.00 for all the starts he makes combined from this point forward.

Okay ill take that bet.But i will up it.If Burnett starts 3 or more games and has an era over 6.00 i will treat you to dinner anywhere you want near Pittsburgh and if he starts 3 or more games and has an era under 6.00 you treat me to dinner anywhere near Pittsburgh.If you want to raise this we can even throw in some game tickets.But if he doesn't start a game this year then thats sad and we can't make this bet.But you can still have cookie!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:11 am 

I'm glad we didn't sign Ohman.I don't think he has alot of upside.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:33 pm 

Colin21 wrote:

Ohman is over 30; of course he doesn't have any upside. But he does have value right now, and he would have afforded the Bucs the opportunity to trade Grabow for a prospect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Ohman is over 30; of course he doesn't have any upside. But he does have value right now, and he would have afforded the Bucs the opportunity to trade Grabow for a prospect.

I was thinking along the same lines this morning while I was typing a rebuttal (ended up canning it because it just seemed so unimportant in the grand scheme of things) to the Ohman is just a LOOGY pitcher.

Ohman has the same OPS against righties as Grabow does and is a lot more effective against lefties. Now I'm not saying Ohman is better, only that he could have been a respectable replacement, at least through the end of the year, after Grabow is traded.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:02 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

I will offer 10 cookies against your 1 cookie that Burnett never starts another game in the majors, and 100 cookies against your 1 cookie that, even if he does, he will end up with an ERA over 6.00 for all the starts he makes combined from this point forward.

Okay ill take that bet.But i will up it.If Burnett starts 3 or more games and has an era over 6.00 i will treat you to dinner anywhere you want near Pittsburgh and if he starts 3 or more games and has an era under 6.00 you treat me to dinner anywhere near Pittsburgh.If you want to raise this we can even throw in some game tickets.But if he doesn't start a game this year then thats sad and we can't make this bet.But you can still have cookie!

Okay, I'll take your offer, as long as you mean that the 6.00 ERA comes from his starts only.

Frankly, it's most probably that you'll be giving me an Oreo, because I don't think that there's a chance in hell he'll ever start another game, at least for the Buccos.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:00 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

Okay, I'll take your offer, as long as you mean that the 6.00 ERA comes from his starts only.

Frankly, it's most probably that you'll be giving me an Oreo, because I don't think that there's a chance in hell he'll ever start another game, at least for the Buccos.[/quote][/quote]

Yeah thats for starts, and if he doesnt start at all this season i will mail you an oreo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:31 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Frankly, it's most probably that you'll be giving me an Oreo, because I don't think that there's a chance in hell he'll ever start another game, at least for the Buccos.
[/quote]

Yeah thats for starts, and if he doesnt start at all this season i will mail you an oreo.[/quote]
Nah, don't mail the Oreo. Just give one to a little kid if I win it. One thing I don't need is more Oreos, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:34 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Yeah thats for starts, and if he doesnt start at all this season i will mail you an oreo.[/quote]
Nah, don't mail the Oreo. Just give one to a little kid if I win it. One thing I don't need is more Oreos, lol.[/quote]

haha will do. I'll go throw an oreo fastball at some little kid and say "here you won are you happy".