Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutch = Bonds?????
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:55 pm 

Yadier Molina doing his Sid Bream impression from second to end the game.

Yadier Molina???? Really???

Post subject: Re: Cutch = Bonds?????
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:28 pm 

Corsair wrote:

Hardly.

Remember, Van Slyke told Bonds to move in and Bonds flipped him off.

I'll say it again: Fuck Bonds.

Sorry mods.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

Sorry mods.

Yeah, I'm pretty offended, dude.

You really shouldn't use such foul language such as the 'B' word.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 pm 

Cutch is a much better person than bonds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:12 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Hardly.

Sorry mods.

Yeah, Van Slyke suddenly remembered telling Bonds to move in 15 years after it happened.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:13 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Cutch is a much better person than bonds.

Sure is. Doubt that anybody would argue with you. But the question is, what was he doing playing so deep?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 pm 

Brain fart during game management….the sound of arseholes tightening is what I am detecting….. ;) ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:37 am 

No question he was playing too deep. Failure to score a run in 9 innings also factored in. And that bad call against Marte was pivotal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:05 am 

sisyphus wrote:
VanSlick wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Hardly.

Sorry mods.

Yeah, Van Slyke suddenly remembered telling Bonds to move in 15 years after it happened.

I think you'd remember the biggest play of your career.

There is video somewhere of Van Slyke telling the story. He didn't bash Bonds, he just told the truth. He told Bonds to move in a few steps and Bonds flipped him off. Those few steps would have made the difference for Bonds' noodle arm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:04 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

There is video somewhere of Van Slyke telling the story. He didn't bash Bonds, he just told the truth. He told Bonds to move in a few steps and Bonds flipped him off. Those few steps would have made the difference for Bonds' noodle arm.

I'd think that you'd remember it a lot sooner.

There was a long history of bad blood between Bonds and Van Slyke. I don't know about hatred, but I think it's fair to say that they had a strong dislike for each other. And the fact is that, "noodle arm" and all, Bonds was one of the best left fielders in baseball at preventing runners from taking extra bases, which is not all about arm strength.

Everybody hates Bonds, so everybody loves to blame him. The fact is that the Pirates didn't have a very good bullpen, the home plate umpire decided that he wasn't going to call anybody out on strikes for the rest of the game, and Chico Lind made a very rare error, and all of those things had more to do with losing that game than Van Slyke's doubtful story.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:59 pm 

Cutch has made some nice throws before. I don't think his arm is terrible, it's just not great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:14 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
Cutch has made some nice throws before. I don't think his arm is terrible, it's just not great.

His arm strength is okay, but he seems to have a problem consistently hitting the proper release point, so sometimes he'll airmail a ball. Only seems to happen when he's throwing home, though, his throws to second and third usually look pretty good. Can't compare him to Marte or Polanco in the arm department, though. I think he belongs in left, with Marte in center, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the guy who tells him he's moving, and I doubt that having the best possible outfield combination would make a huge difference, so why bother to make the move?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:04 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

His arm strength is okay, but he seems to have a problem consistently hitting the proper release point, so sometimes he'll airmail a ball. Only seems to happen when he's throwing home, though, his throws to second and third usually look pretty good. Can't compare him to Marte or Polanco in the arm department, though. I think he belongs in left, with Marte in center, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the guy who tells him he's moving, and I doubt that having the best possible outfield combination would make a huge difference, so why bother to make the move?

I wouldn't move the Face of the Franchise either. And it's not like he sucks in center...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:59 am 

sisyphus wrote:
VanSlick wrote:

I'd think that you'd remember it a lot sooner.

There was a long history of bad blood between Bonds and Van Slyke. I don't know about hatred, but I think it's fair to say that they had a strong dislike for each other. And the fact is that, "noodle arm" and all, Bonds was one of the best left fielders in baseball at preventing runners from taking extra bases, which is not all about arm strength.

Everybody hates Bonds, so everybody loves to blame him. The fact is that the Pirates didn't have a very good bullpen, the home plate umpire decided that he wasn't going to call anybody out on strikes for the rest of the game, and Chico Lind made a very rare error, and all of those things had more to do with losing that game than Van Slyke's doubtful story.

You really think Van Slyke would make up something like that and go into specifics?

I think at this point, Bonds has been proven a liar. Van Slyke, not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:35 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

That's where I am. His routes on fly balls have improved over the years and his range is still very good. The outfield may be marginally better with Cutch in left, Marte in center, and Polanco in right, but the difference isn't large.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:54 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
You really think Van Slyke would make up something like that and go into specifics?

I think at this point, Bonds has been proven a liar. Van Slyke, not so much.

Sure I believe Van Slyke would make that up. He's hated Bonds for a long time, probably since they met, and if there is one thing you can say about Van Slyke, it's that he loves to tell stories. Don't know if this particular story is true or not, of course, no way to tell. I haven't heard any comment from Bonds on this, so his truthfulness or lack thereof is irrelevant. The whole thing seems very doubtful to me, especially given the amount of time between the game and when the story finally came out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:58 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

That's where I am. His routes on fly balls have improved over the years and his range is still very good. The outfield may be marginally better with Cutch in left, Marte in center, and Polanco in right, but the difference isn't large.

One nice thing about the current alignment is watching the looks on runners faces as they jam on the brakes when Marte cuts off a potential double down the line and unleashes a rocket to second. That has to save quite a few runs, especially when you take into account the runners who are out at second by five feet.

Barry Bonds was the best defensive left fielder I ever saw, but it looks like Marte is going to knock him off of that pedestal. He might end up being Bonds, with the luxury addition of a great throwing arm.