Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: RISP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3410
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
I know this is an offensive stat but it needs to be posted. The Pirates rank 27th out of 30 MLB teams with a 3.67 runners left in scoring position per game: http://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/runners-left-in-scoring-position-per-game

The pitching and defense has been established as being two of the three main components holding the Pirates back this season (with which I agree)...but driving in runs in scoring position has also been not good at all...at least for a supposed playoff contending team...IMHO...

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RISP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: Pittsburgh
bassoondirector wrote:
I know this is an offensive stat but it needs to be posted. The Pirates rank 27th out of 30 MLB teams with a 3.67 runners left in scoring position per game: http://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/runners-left-in-scoring-position-per-game

The pitching and defense has been established as being two of the three main components holding the Pirates back this season (with which I agree)...but driving in runs in scoring position has also been not good at all...at least for a supposed playoff contending team...IMHO...

Part of that is because they're second in baseball at putting runners on base. More opportunities, more chances to leave guys on. I'd like to see numbers on the percentage of time they leave runners in scoring position, that would tell us more.

They are 6th in the league at batting average with runners in scoring position. Not great, not horrible.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RISP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
You obviously accidentally added an 'S' to the subject line.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RISP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3410
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Great article...and exactly what I'm talking about!

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/93087512/reliance-on-homers-hampering-pirates-efforts

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RISP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Tejas
Tom Singer is a moron. Yeah, let's rely on something unsustainable to carry us. Brilliant!

They're better with RISP than the Cards, FWIW.

They pitch better than us, plain and simple.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RISP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: Pittsburgh
StarlingArcher wrote:
Tom Singer is a moron. Yeah, let's rely on something unsustainable to carry us. Brilliant!

They're better with RISP than the Cards, FWIW.

They pitch better than us, plain and simple.

They sure did once they figured out that the Pirates just eat up fastballs and quit throwing them.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RISP
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:00 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Tejas
sisyphus wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
Tom Singer is a moron. Yeah, let's rely on something unsustainable to carry us. Brilliant!

They're better with RISP than the Cards, FWIW.

They pitch better than us, plain and simple.

They sure did once they figured out that the Pirates just eat up fastballs and quit throwing them.


Yeah they did, although my mention of their pitching was more about why they're leading for the division rather than last series. This whole year they've had the better pitching staff. The Pirates scratched and clawed like crazy just to break into the Top 20 in pitching. That's worse than the offense was at any time last year.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits