The Unofficial Pittsburgh Pirates Message Board
http://pittsburghsports.net/

September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)
http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13252
Page 3 of 3

Author:  Az Bucco fan [ Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

Stick a fork in it, this team is done....... :? :?

Author:  NSMaster56 [ Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

IA Pirate wrote:
Great, great, great performance by Vólquez today. Let's hope the bullpen can hold the zero and the offense can wake the hell up.


He's been pretty great since August.

And the Bucs have only lost three (now four) of the 17 games he's started since 1 June (after losing seven of his first 11 starts).

Dude has helped salvage this season. Props are due.

Author:  Clevelandsux [ Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

Did any mention that we can't hit?

Author:  NSMaster56 [ Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

Clevelandsux wrote:
Did any mention that we can't hit?


No. You're the first.

Surely nobody will post stats that prove otherwise.

Author:  sisyphus [ Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

No. 9 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Can somebody please explain to me what the hell McCutchen was doing playing so deep??????

Two outs and Bourjos at the plate. BOURJOS. Not Mark McGwire. Not even Matt Holliday. BOURJOS, who couldn't hit one to the wall in center if you let him use a golf ball.

He should have been at least 20 feet closer, probably closer to 30 feet.


Had same thought. As did the radio guys. You make Bourjos beat you by hitting ball over your head. You don't let him beat you by doing what .... Bourjos only does.

Good, I was afraid that it was only me who was thinking that.

When the ball got through I was thinking that the worst case would be that they'd hold up Molina at third, because I was sure that any half decent throw would get him by a mile.

Author:  RTJR [ Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

We're fortunate Milwaukee is also reeling. Unfortunately, Atlanta is not.

Author:  Ralphie [ Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Stick a fork in it, this team is done....... :? :?


It sure feels like they're done after a series like that. But the reality is they're still just 2 back of the last wild card spot.

If they're going to keep muddling along at a .500 pace, they won't make it. If, however..

Author:  Az Bucco fan [ Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

Cubs upcoming and they have been hot….. :o :o :o

Author:  nad69dan [ Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

sisyphus wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Can somebody please explain to me what the hell McCutchen was doing playing so deep??????

Two outs and Bourjos at the plate. BOURJOS. Not Mark McGwire. Not even Matt Holliday. BOURJOS, who couldn't hit one to the wall in center if you let him use a golf ball.

He should have been at least 20 feet closer, probably closer to 30 feet.


Had same thought. As did the radio guys. You make Bourjos beat you by hitting ball over your head. You don't let him beat you by doing what .... Bourjos only does.

Good, I was afraid that it was only me who was thinking that.

When the ball got through I was thinking that the worst case would be that they'd hold up Molina at third, because I was sure that any half decent throw would get him by a mile.


McCutchen regularly plays deep to begin with.

Author:  sisyphus [ Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

nad69dan wrote:
McCutchen regularly plays deep to begin with.

So? The question is, why was he playing so deep with a powerless schmuck like Bourjos at the plate?

I don't know who's to blame for his positioning on that play, but whoever is responsible screwed up royally.

Author:  rellimie [ Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

sisyphus wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
McCutchen regularly plays deep to begin with.

So? The question is, why was he playing so deep with a powerless schmuck like Bourjos at the plate?

I don't know who's to blame for his positioning on that play, but whoever is responsible screwed up royally.


I'm wondering if his rib injury has anything to do with it. I'm sure it's much easier for him to come forward than to turn and run backwards while twisting and turning when looking up.

Author:  sisyphus [ Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: September 3, 2014 Pirates (71-67) at Cardinals (75-63)

rellimie wrote:
I'm wondering if his rib injury has anything to do with it. I'm sure it's much easier for him to come forward than to turn and run backwards while twisting and turning when looking up.

The winning run was on second and Bourjos was at the plate. The chances of Bourjos hitting a ball over McCutchen's head were virtually nil. It just doesn't make sense having him that deep.

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/