Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: September 1, 2014 Pirates (71-65) at Cardinals (73-63)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:47 pm 

rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
There was our big bullpen acquisition, who yesterday Huntington had the nerve to say was a good pick up. He has no idea where the ball is going. NH should be ashamed for not getting help for this team...

It takes two to make a trade. Looking around the league a lot of major league talent changed hands. Which MLB player were you ready to give up for pitching?

You want this list alphabetically or according to age?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
rellimie wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
There was our big bullpen acquisition, who yesterday Huntington had the nerve to say was a good pick up. He has no idea where the ball is going. NH should be ashamed for not getting help for this team...

It takes two to make a trade. Looking around the league a lot of major league talent changed hands. Which MLB player were you ready to give up for pitching?

You want this list alphabetically or according to age?

You have to list players that would have actually brought some thing back. Not just ones you don't want on the team anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:34 pm 

Really? I didn't know trades worked that way...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
The cry of the whiner bird rings out again.

"I'm not paid to be GM" equals "I have no credibility".

No, it means there are people in place who are paid to get the job done. That isn't you or I. But keep defending the lack of moves that were made...the GM himself acknowledged he probably should've got something done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:00 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

No, it means there are people in place who are paid to get the job done. That isn't you or I. But keep defending the lack of moves that were made...the GM himself acknowledged he probably should've got something done.

Tell me who was offered. Tell me what the cost would have been to get them. Then I'll have an opinion on Huntington's deadline performance. Anyone who tries to evaluate his performance without that information is talking through his hat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:07 am 

sisyphus wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Tell me who was offered. Tell me what the cost would have been to get them. Then I'll have an opinion on Huntington's deadline performance. Anyone who tries to evaluate his performance without that information is talking through his hat.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2014/9/1/6095 ... e-analysis
This article says it perfectly...at some point you have to go for it...NH/Nutting/Coonelly did not. The NL Central is there for the taking, and they have done nothing to help the guys in that clubhouse out.

They picked up:
Edison Volquez-unwanted
Vance Worley-unwanted
Ike Davis-unwanted
John Axford-unwanted
They gave away Bryan Morris because of a slow start. The same guy they couldn't say enough good things about coming out of spring training.

The organization deserves credit for getting as much out of the first two as they have. Maybe a bit lucky, but still good. Davis has been bad. Axford, although I have no great hopes, hasn't been here long enough to make a statement on. But that's it. Nobody is saying they had to wreck the future to get better this year, but to do basically nothing is inexcusable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:17 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
http://www.bucsdugout.com/2014/9/1/6095 ... e-analysis
This article says it perfectly...at some point you have to go for it...NH/Nutting/Coonelly did not. The NL Central is there for the taking, and they have done nothing to help the guys in that clubhouse out.

They picked up:
Edison Volquez-unwanted
Vance Worley-unwanted
Ike Davis-unwanted
John Axford-unwanted
They gave away Bryan Morris because of a slow start. The same guy they couldn't say enough good things about coming out of spring training.

The organization deserves credit for getting as much out of the first two as they have. Maybe a bit lucky, but still good. Davis has been bad. Axford, although I have no great hopes, hasn't been here long enough to make a statement on. But that's it. Nobody is saying they had to wreck the future to get better this year, but to do basically nothing is inexcusable.

Whether a guy is wanted by other teams or not is irrelevant. All that matters is what they do when they get here.

Volquez and Worley have turned out to be excellent acquisitions, wanted or not.

Ike Davis has been bad, but he's been a better hitter than Garrett Jones was last year, and a MUCH better hitter than Morneau was. He is a disappointment, but he's still been an improvement.

Brian Morris wasn't very good last year, and he was bad this year. That's not a slow start. It's a little difficult to evaluate the return, given that he was only drafted less than three months ago. Given Morris' turnaround, it looks bad so far.

Nobody is saying that they had to wreck the future? How do you know that wasn't exactly what Huntington's trading partners were holding for? How have the trade deadline deals worked out for the teams that were buyers? Looks grim so far to me. The Cards are winning in spite of Masterson and Lackey. The A's and Tigers have fallen out of first place.